Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Random Event Antag Prompt should tell you what Antag it is
So pretty much what the title says, since agreeing to "Yes" on the prompt overrides your personal antag preferences now, and the fact that you don't know what antag it will be, you could be agreeing to an antag you really dislike playing or have zero interest in.

Kind of a niche scenario but I would consider it QoL so I don't ready up for being a Wizard when I hate being a Wizard, i'd rather let people who actually enjoy the role take it.
This is a good idea and also feasible because currently it picks the antag before/when it polls dead people, not after. (I know this because the admin notification for the random event says what kind of antag it will be when it sends the poll). It'd be better if you knew what antag you were getting instead of it being a shitty gamble between fun time and not fun time if you don't like one of the potential results
In the code there's specifically a comment about this that says that the type of the antagonist is not disclosed because of metagaming. But I'm not sure how that applies since only ghosts get the popup and they can already see everything.

EDIT: I'm for this change, I don't think there's a point in hiding this information.
I'm not really sure how it could be meta-gaming since only ghosts get to see it, and even when ghosts don't see what antag it will be, they just look around the map and immediately find out what it was, and half the time I notice the player complain they got blob or something.

Either way I don't see how it could lead to any meta since it only appears for dead people and will only result in people being informed what role they are volunteering for.
It could pass info if a ghost gets cloned or revived soon after the prompt. They could get ready for a fight in case of blobs.
Still, I don't feel like it'd be significant, since they'd know that the prompt was made, whether they know the antag type or not ? Maybe
(10-16-2019, 09:28 PM)Haprenti Wrote: It could pass info if a ghost gets cloned or revived soon after the prompt. They could get ready for a fight in case of blobs.
Still, I don't feel like it'd be significant, since they'd know that the prompt was made, whether they know the antag type or not ? Maybe

They would know an antag is coming but thats it.
With this they would just know what kind of antag
If someone really wanted to know what kinda antag spawned from such an event, they can already do that.
I think most, if not all antags, will spawn in the arrivals shuttle even if its a wraith or blob overmind, so people can just camp there and see who spawns in it.
Observing an antag with abilities (ling, vamp) as a ghost will let you see these abilities. Wraith and blob overminds appear on the observer list, too.
The only case in which you cant make use of this is when you are revived before the antag is spawned.

I never accepted one of these prompts, because the only antag I might be willing to try would be wraith.
If this really becomes a problem and people give away the antag all the time, im not sure how effective rules against this would be.
I'd recommend trying it and if metagaming becomes a problem then doing something about it. In my experience folks who happen to die and get revived in nuke before the nukies are revealed generally don't tell anyone, so the player base is probably decent enough to keep this quiet.

It might mean that we never see a random event blob on Atlas again, but that's not really a downside.