Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let staplers substitute for staple guns in surgery.
As far as I know, while you can use regular knives in place of scalpels, among other substitutes, there isn't a back-alley equivalent for staple guns. I propose those red staplers you get from office supply closets should be those substitutes, allowing them to function as staple guns during surgery. (Just to be clear, I don't think it should substitute for the staple gun in the zip gun recipe.) After all, office staples, medical staples, paper, people, what's the difference?
If it's good enough for Amateur Surgeon it's good enough for the amateur surgeons of Goon
I'm pretty sure that staplers already do stand in for staple guns...

Like...

I'm pretty sure that the staplers are literally just staple guns with a different sprite.

At least, that's how it used to be!

This is a bug.

surgery checks for:
Code:
    surgery(var/obj/item/tool)
        if(remove_stage > 1 && tool.type == /obj/item/staple_gun)
            remove_stage = 0

this should be:

Code:
    surgery(var/obj/item/tool)
        if(remove_stage > 1 && istype(tool,/obj/item/staple_gun))
            remove_stage = 0

The intent clearly was to have red staplers work for surgery, as staplers used to literally just be staple guns with a manually edited sprite on the map:

Code:
/obj/item/staple_gun{desc = "A red stapler.  No, not THAT red stapler."; icon = 'icons/obj/items.dmi'; icon_state = "stapler"; item_state = "stapler"; layer = 7; name = "stapler"}

My guess is that some coder decided that office closets should probably contain regular staplers instead of stapleguns like they used to:

Code:
/obj/storage/closet/office
    name = "office supply closet"
    desc = "Various supplies for the modern office."
    make_my_stuff()
        ..()

[SNIP]

var/obj/item/staple_gun/B6 = new /obj/item/staple_gun(src)
        B6.pixel_y = -5
        B6.pixel_x = -4

and made a child object; probably /obj/item/staple_gun/red

and since the surgery tool check does .type == instead of istype()... whatever coder did this broke office supply surgery.
https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid...#pid140838