Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 4.07 Average
Remove hiding under tables from monkeys
First of all, thanks to all the people that have mentioned me as a possitive example of a monkey player, it's really appreciated. If there are some specific bad apples out there that are ruining monkeys perhaps it would be worth bringing that to the attention of the admins. It could also be a good idea to make them aware of this thread maybe. If any monkey players are reading this, i'd like to ask you to please read my previous post and try to use some common sense as to when it is appropriate to use the abilities monkeys get, since its obvious that currently some people are having their fun ruined by monkeys, and this in turn ruins playing as a monkey.

(10-15-2019, 11:44 AM)moistgrandmas42 Wrote: I definitely don't want to nerf monkeys into uselessness either Mr. Green, but hiding under tables is the equivalent to a super cloak (table disarm, can't be nullified by a flash, doesn't take up an inventory slot, cannot be dropped or removed). While you do concede monkeys can be tasered, it's still incredibly difficult to pull them out due to the inability to point blank monkeys effectively. Once they're downed, you then have to pixel hunt or use the context menu which is extremely limiting considering the max the taser downs for with non-point blank attacks is 3s or so iirc where the monkey can just walk backwards back underneath it if they pull off the pull.

While monkeys need some sort of rework, I still think the original would be the simplest solution for the admins to code while still giving monkeys a unique niche of being able to cross through inaccessible terrain. You even admit that you try to stay on top of tables as a sec monkey so you obviously recognize how unfair hiding under tables can be.

Let me first say that i actually appreciate you starting this discussion since it seems rather obvious by the amount of reactions that it's something that needed to be discussed.

My main concern with simply removing the ability to go under tables altogether is that this might be throwing out the baby with the bathwater. I indeed fully agree that in the context of combat it is unfair. That being said there are some other contexts where i dont think it is unfair.

One main example that hasnt been mentioned yet is the fact that lings come with their own lesser monkey form. Lesser lings being able to hide under tables and stinging people while they are under a table both are intended game mechanics i assume.

I've personnaly also used the ability to hide under tables to save people. When a monkey grabs anyone, including humans, take them under a table and then let them go, they actually stay hidden aswell (which can also lead to funny situations with operating tables). I can recall a specific example where i dragged a person that was stung by a ling away and hid them under a nearby table. I'd argue that having this being part of the game can lead to fun encounters that add to the expierence.

Lastly, there is the RP aspect. I understand that his might not be relevant at all for some people, but i personally think that the ability to hide under tables fits really well with, as Dickles put it, "monkies as cute yet mischievous creatures".

Now am i not coder so i have no idea which of the proposed solutions are realistic, let alone possible, but i really think there is something to be said for not simply removing the ability. Like i said in my previous post, restricting the ability for monkeys to use certain items under tables, adding a way to effectively fight monkeys under tables, or a combination of the two, would remove the unfair aspect of the ability. I personally also can't see any negative side-effects fixing the problem in this way could cause, but again, im not a coder. I am open to hearing any concerns people might have with a fix like this though.

Please keep the suggestions coming, it seems to me that it should be possible to come up with some idea that works for most people.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Remove hiding under tables from monkeys - by Mr. Green - 10-15-2019, 10:22 PM