Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Changelings should not be able to use the shield of souls
I had actually thought they couldn't but a changeling was using it just fine so I guess I was wrong.  They're nasty enough without being unkillable.
I think this was a complaint years ago too and the response was that its so rare that a changeling would even get shield of souls that its a nonissue. Also it was made harder to get and if someone is abusing it they will get yelled at by admins.
You can still get rid of someone using the shield, it's just a lot harder. If you can somehow eject them into space, their immortality won't help them becasue they'll never get back.
Step one: Arrest and shove into the Port-a-brig. Quickly you're probably already stung oh god no
Step Two: After waking up, take to abandoned Space Station.
Step Three: Remove all tools, barricade all Windows with new walls, replace every door with a wall.
Step Four: Announce that nobody, and ABSOLUTELY NOBODY, is to unearth the sealed changeling under penalty of death. By changeling.
Step Five: Admin help when some asshole inevitably lets it out.
(10-11-2019, 01:03 PM)Berrik Wrote: You can still get rid of someone using the shield, it's just a lot harder. If you can somehow eject them into space, their immortality won't help them becasue they'll never get back.

Wrong. I've thrown someone multiple times into space that had SoS and they just used their own dead bodies to get back to station/mining and then back onto station.
Ugh didn't think of that.

In that case, something hilarious should happen if the changeling uses the shield of souls: because it is (theoretically) an amalgation of MANY souls, make it cause everyone inside to be popped out of the hivemind as independent beings again, causing it to lose everyone inside (it still keeps the DNA though).
Honestly if we're going that route I'd go one further and have the ling get gibbed by everyone it absorbed suddenly getting a body inside of it.
(10-12-2019, 08:56 AM)Berrik Wrote: Ugh didn't think of that.

In that case, something hilarious should happen if the changeling uses the shield of souls: because it is (theoretically) an amalgation of MANY souls, make it cause everyone inside to be popped out of the hivemind as independent beings again, causing it to lose everyone inside (it still keeps the DNA though).

Bonus points if they can succ the resulting people and farm DNA forever.

Though this does open an avenue for "friendly" lings, who rampage and succ the whole crew, then dungeon-dive the SoS and suicide everyone back to life like a confused hard vore fic.
But what if the shield of souls filters the original changeling soul out of the amalgam of souls, would it gives it back its original body and force it to spit back out any soul it absorbs ? Would the rest of the souls stay in their current changeling state minus the original soul ?
Or would the shield be granted to a random soul which happened to be expressed slightly more strongly than the others at the moment the shield was received ?

Changelings reproduce by splitting right ?
In the first scenario the shield could not only filter the original changeling's soul from the amalgam, but also retrieve all the fragmented soul parts from all the other lings , to fully recover and shield the soul.

You let the ling live, stay a ling, without the shield, but display a flavour message "You feel like you just lost something. It's probably not important." and spawn the subject 0 in its original body before becoming the first ling, as a human with the shield of souls.

Solves the issue, adds lore potential.
An easier fix would just be removing whatever exploit people are using to solo the lava moon this time, because it's mostly lone powergamers sneaking off to grab it. SoS abuse goes way down if an aspiring immortal actually has to involve other people.
(10-15-2019, 12:30 AM)Roomba Wrote: An easier fix would just be removing whatever exploit people are using to solo the lava moon this time, because it's mostly lone powergamers sneaking off to grab it. SoS abuse goes way down if an aspiring immortal actually has to involve other people.

This doesnt help anything about the changeling using it.
Lings can solo it too without the ""exploit"" (its intended to work which I wont spoil),all they need is someone they ate (and them having atleast some knowledge of lava for things to go smoothly) and make them a handspider (handspiders can interact with buttons),it's not true solo but it's more easier and faster than every single method that ever existed before of doing the puzzles.
The only drawbacks the ling gets when taking SoS is it starting all over again from 0 DNA points and everyone else being kicked out of the hivemind.

the correct thing to do would be removing away interactions on the adventure zone exlusive buttons from the handspider if you wish for the ling to not be able to atleast solo it.
If you want to nerf SoS,you could make certain special deaths permament you can aim for.
(There is however one way to cheese against a SoS user,place the obsidian crown on it and watch him get consumed once he goes low enough,I tested this before and it worked however I was also wearing the armour which could have negated the SoS too.)
(10-15-2019, 01:21 AM)Unknownity Wrote: (There is however one way to cheese against a SoS user,place the obsidian crown on it and watch him get consumed once he goes low enough,I tested this before and it worked however I was also wearing the armour which could have negated the SoS too.)
crown negates sos due to it "eating your soul"(or something like that anyway it negates it).
Another possible option: given what they're made of, you could just have the SoS spidergib them.
Shield of souls is a good example of why we can't have nice things. Anyone who grabs it for serious antagging/supercop-ing should be slapped upside the head for bein' a nerd.