Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Feature] Mobile Pipe Dispenser Lays Pipe
Not sure i did the Topic call stuff right, but I'm ~95% confident in the pipe laying.

Currently works on plating and space tiles.

Lays down pipe as you pull/push it and attempts to auto connect pipes.

Can't handle junctions, trunks, etc., but this should help a lot for long distance projects or mass repairs.

prpr: UM-025
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...6/pull/166
Pipe laying always struck me as one of those mechanics that is more clunky than it ought to be, and this definitely helps. +1 and high hopes for this!
I quite like this feature.
nice good
Finally, something that will convince people to actually fix those fucking garbage pipes!
bumping this in the spirit off making station repairs more easier.

If it needs adjustments or anything before merge, please do lemme know
Merge plz
I too, greatly desire this patch.
for the love of god please yes make this a thing

Who cares if it gives antags another tool to abuse? The only thing they can make is hilariously complicated death traps and those are always fun to watch, on top of this tool making station repairs 10000x times easier.
since this seems to be a point of confusion, the mobile pipe dispenser is an already existing item in 2020 code that is just a child of the regular dispenser butv with anchored = 0 and a different sprite.

This patch isn't waiting for sprites or code or anything, it can be copy pasted directly into the code block for the existing mobile pipe dispenser
I actually brought up merging this patch in admin chat last week. It is really good, but the one issue we had with it was that the dispenser would lay pipes before the object actually got to the next tile which looked kinda weird.

There were two proposed solutions iirc. Use a spawn to make it place the pipe after the time it takes to move is complete. And place a pipe when the dispenser leaves a tile, not when it enters one.
issue with it laying pipe as it leaves tile is that it needs information from the previous pipe it laid in order to do the with join; this is provided rather nicely with Move() right now since it naturally has new and old loc params. to do it when leaving a tile would require old old loc or something

I think it having a delay is appropriate; some kind of machine sound could also be added to make it a bit less magical" how it lays pipe
I love this entire thing, the only question I DO have is, what about junction pipes?
you'll have to dispense those manually from it as you go; they're just too complicated to auto join as you drag
I merged this! And in the process of merging I rewrote most of it, sorry.