Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Once per round, there could be an "Extreme" random event.
I'm copy pasting what I wrote in Discord yesterday with some minor edits.

One thing I wish we had was an "extreme" random event that had a small chance to occur once per round.
Some potential ideas:
- Warning! Syndicate Battle Drones are approaching the station from (X direction). All personnel are advised to obtain weapons to protect themselves and the station. (They could be the buzz saw drones, or phaser drones. The idea is that they'd breach the station to attack people)
 - A temporal distortion has formed in (X Location). We recommend that all crew stay away from it, as its effects are unknown. (The effects could be literally anything, from gaining mutations, to being exposed to 100u of Space Beer, to having your left arm transform into a wendigo's arm, etc)
 - The Wizard Federation has issued a challenge to the station. We are to choose and send our champion to the portal in (X Department) to fight (Y creature). If we do not do so by (Z Timeframe), they will attack the station. (Could give an opportunity for dead folks to reincarnate as a wizard or two)
This seems really interesting and I honestly like it.

Perhaps there could be a way to increase the likelihood that an extreme event will happen? Here's my reasoning:

These events' purpose seem to be to make the round more interesting and unpredictable. However, if a round is already chaotic, it probably wouldn't be a great idea to throw an extreme event in all the time (hence the low probability). But, if a round is boring (all the traitors are dead, for example), then having these events could absolutely spice things up and make things interesting again.

So, probability could start at a fairly high value, but decrease as the following occur:
Deaths
Explosions (also depending on severity)
Injuries
Total number of antagonists living by the time the Extreme Event roll occurs
Station Integrity decreasing
Station cleanliness decreasing
Probably some other stuff I dunno
Some events like these used to happen like this during construction mode. Where we would get ever increasing waves of random encounters every 10 - 15 minutes. There used to be like an anomaly that would spawn science ghosts. particle ghosts, and the like for us to deal with. A martian assault squad, including the ones that insta gib you if they keep line of sight for long enough. Syndicate drones would rush and raid the the station that was being built. An assortment of man eating plants would just pop out of nowhere to attack us.

It was a great way to learn how to deal with mobs and things.

(Also I do find it an funny idea the Wiz fed makes some random NT Shmuck face a Syndicate Y-Drone with their bare hands for their amusement)