Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Replace the HoS egun with the lawgiver
I think that the lawgiver should totally replace the egun that the HoS gets now, instead of having it be a job reward that replaces your egun. 

Reasons this is good:

- The lawgiver is more difficult to use than the egun, requiring a lot more thought generally and "thinking ahead" because changing modes with it takes longer, so you're incentived to swap to whatever you think you might use before a fight. With the egun, it's always "set it to stun and use that, unless I want to kill them, then I swap to lethals with a button press after they're stunned". I think forward thinking and awareness like this fits the HoS role very well, since the HoS is supposed to be a very experienced sec position. It's also more rewarding to use, since you get the satisfaction of making a good choice with it ahead of time.

- The lawgiver is much more unique and cool than an egun, it makes playing as the HoS and fighting against the HoS feel more unique and interesting. The egun is already the captain's thing, so it feels quite a bit less special. The whole "it alerts you when it's switched between various modes with an audio cue" thing is great and makes fighting it a lot more fun since you're more aware of what's happening.

- You can scan your egun and make more, so you can get around the lawgiver restriction of giving up your egun if you prep ahead. I haven't seen an HoS do this, but it's kind of lame that you can. 

You could make the lawgiver spawn on the HoS' belt and make the antique version still a job reward, and make the egun that spawns in the locker a taser instead. (So people can't steal the lawgiver from the locker with packets, or you could put it there and let packet nerds have it if you wanted)

Also maybe let it fit on sec belts to compensate.  sop babys
I've only see the lawbringer a little bit because I haven't been able to play recently, but I think this is a great suggestion - all the various firemodes require a lot more creativity to use than the egun's "kill this thing" button.
I don't see a problem with this. Now that I've tried the lawgiver, I have no wish to ever go back to using the egun as the HOS.

At the very least, yeah - it'd be really good if it could be changed so that it fit on a security belt.
I think the lawgivers a bit cheesy overall and shouldn't really exist. HoS should be robust, why give him gear to make him always have a counter to antags? Takes away the need to be resourceful imo.
Old thread is old.

Now that it's resurfaced - I also don't have an issue with this.

(06-18-2020, 07:41 PM)MoonJesus Wrote: I think the lawgivers a bit cheesy overall and shouldn't really exist. HoS should be robust, why give him gear to make him always have a counter to antags? Takes away the need to be resourceful imo.

How so? The Energy rifle is just "pew pew" your dead, as mentioned previously. The lawgiver is way less robust in that regard.

Detain? Decent stun, but not any better than a taser, particularly the tasers burst mode
Pulse? Can be counterintuitive at times, sometimes you DON'T want a target away from you
Flameo hotman shot? Worse than a shotgun with flares, runs out quite quickly
Bigshot? Not better than a laser shot, i've mostly used this for busting down things in the environment. One shot and you've cleaned your battery.
Smoke? Very situational.
Sleepy night night? I haven't discovered a legitimate use for this over stunning. Could do with more debilitating effects
Terminate? Probably the best mode and the "default" setting for me, but worse than a laser shot.
Clownshot? Clownshot.

All these things aren't cheesy in the slightest, and aren't necessarily "antag" modes, otherwise there would be holy water, silver bullets, fluro and salt modes heh.
The laser mode on the energy rifle is "cheesy" as it's just point and click.
from my perspective, I always saw the lawgiver has a gimmicky item that only exists for the reference due to being inferior the e-gun. Making it default item for the HoS seems a bit eh. Making it a choice means that the challenge is self imposed