Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
there should be an ideas forum manager
theres lots of ideas that just get buried here
and most of the uh, subforums like good(sometimes)/bad/limbo are deprecated and never used. 

you know how like, studenterhue is kinda the (unofficial?) goon wiki manager? maybe someone like that, they get the ability to move posts around and pin idea megathreads and whatnot.

these subforums have just been gathering dust and it'd be nice to just... give them a nice clean

yell at me if im dumb and stuff gets messed around with and im an idiot please
Yeah, having some people dedicated to managing the ideas forum would be so nice, honestly.
secondary idea: add an archived ideas subforum

its not locked so people can post on ideas there and get them moved back, but lets us keep the main forum for recentish ideas that need feedback
Not a bad idea, if it was implemented maybe back in 2013 haha.

Now it's almost a colossal task of 5000+ posts. I don't think anyone would feel hard done by if say, a thread dating back to 2015 was pruned/archived, but by god good luck getting through all those threads.

There's also a case of bias potentially permeating into this process - and it wouldn't matter if this was an admin/coder/some poor soul that was doing it, they may move something where they *think* it might go or that they *think* this is a bad idea and this might ruffle a few feathers if, for example, the thread had many posts or was conceived by the community to be "good".

The Bad idea subforum has quite a clear consensus that it's not a fit for the game, while the good idea subforum is even more clearer - it's in the game.

The idea limbo subforum is a hot mess though, i'll say that much and nobody will cry if it goes. Honestly, I think feature discussion should be a separate sub-forum altogether (replacing this), which provides feedback to stuff added in the changelog, which might offer better feedback and/or balances.
A forum for discussing EXISTING things and a forum for discussing POSSIBLE or IN-DEVELOPMENT things would be very nice to have. That and tags for what kinds of suggestions/ideas/feedback a post is about.
I'm not going to hijack the thread but maybe said manager could also run some kind of voting platform to find out what the people want.
(09-23-2019, 07:53 PM)Kovirii Wrote: I'm not going to hijack the thread but maybe said manager could also run some kind of voting platform to find out what the people want.

potentially add/replace the star voting system with a mini poll on posts? 1. good thread 2. bad thread 3. archive thread, or whatever? rather than having a separate system for it, then the manager can just go by majority when choosing to do something to a thread?
The problem with this is, it's subjective to that person what is a good idea or a bad idea. If the person themselves don't like the idea, they can just write it off as such even if other people might like it without discussing it.
Maybe just like a directory to previous suggestions? Like just a post with a table of contents linking to previous suggestions? Like just a few subforums for cool ideas would just lead to the same problem we have now of stuff getting buried? But like just a post or a spreadsheet or a googledocument might be good for solving that? Just like also maybe a discussion post? Or also just like some way to discuss past ideas without worrying about necroing posts, even though its totally fine to do cus ideas are always kinda sorta relevant?
I personally never saw repeat threads as a bad thing. Ideas change over time and so does their reception, and I can probably dig up a few idea threads that were actually implemented on their second or third totally independant repost. I wouldnt want a chilling effect on new blood bringing up shelved ideas, because some of those limbo dwellers end up being real gems.
i think there should just be a place for ideas people really like but domt get noticed so they get buried (idea limbo)

and there should be a place for poorly rated ideas so they can stop cluttering stuff

imo a backlog of ideas isnt 100% desireable, but i think it might be good to just get them in an "archived ideas" forum that people can still post in so that they can be moved out if discussion restarts

my only qualm with the uh, bringing up new threads is that they might have the same discussions as the old ones before, so not as much gets done

really this is an idea from me personally being a weird gross person who wants stuff to be organised a bit more, especially with pinned threads like the 90 page long miscellanious ideas thread or rework superthreads

really good ideas forum is for threads that make it into the game
bad ideas is where ideas that are generally percieved as really poor (1 star, lots of negative responses)
limbo is for stuff thats recieved a lot of good discussion and people might want in the game
archived is for threads that are 6 months old or older, regardless of goodness or badness, its just a home of older ideas