Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remove the Cloaking Device
It's unfun and overpowered. That is all.

And yes, I did just get killed by a cloaker. Again. Let us face it, there is no counter except thermals which are easy to counter, and even if they are not the majority of the crew has almost nothing against cloakers.
This happens all the damn time, posts like this. Every time it's the same conclusion. No, thermals won't be removed because they ruin cloakers and let people see traitors ordering their things, that's bad players, not a bad item. No, cloakers won't be removed because somebody is invisible when they use it. Thermals can see them, the AI can see them, and I believe doing the area flash spam reveals them as well. It also costs quite a bit, seriously limiting your options on what else to buy, as well as being a dead giveaway when a door opens but nobody is on either side. No.
Thermals should really show an aura rather than letting you examine everything a player has. The Cloaking Device on the other hand is really just a crutch for the unrobust and the unsubtle.

It also only cost 6 telecrystals? That's silly cheap for such a powerful item.

IMO it should be 1. handheld and 2. have a battery charge so it cannot be on all the time.
Thermals talk aside, since this is a topic about the Cloaking Device, saying "This is a crutch for unrobust people" is pretty elitist. Being elitist in a stupid BYOND game about space stations is silly, so please don't. 6 telecrystals cuts you off from a cyalume sword, which could also be called as much a crutch as literally any other traitor item. It was tried with being handheld and that really didn't change much, so that got dropped. Putting it on a battery charge -is- a new idea to me, and if it could be recharged in the same recharger that handles tasers and the like, it would be neat. The idea of removing it altogether is dumb, but maybe having to charge it could be nice.
make flashes disable cloaks again

removing that was stupid
I'm not robust at all myself so there is nothing "elitist" about it, it is a simple fact. The Cloaking Device makes you unclickable which makes you immune to melee weapons. Ranged weapons have limited ammo so there is only so much blind shooting they can do. Even if you know there is a Cloaker you can't do a thing to them. Without thermals it is nigh impossible to fight a Cloaker, and it is ridiculously easy for a traitor to get rid of them when there's no HoS at the start of the round.

If the Cloaking Device was made handheld again it would at least render them vulnerable to flashbangs or even just water splashed on the floor; and if you manage to tase one by sheer luck you should definitely make them drop their Cloak.
I remember when I was a traitor some ages ago when it was hand held I got slipped by the janitor which made me drop my cloaking device and ID.
I lost my ID which was kind of a big deal since I was the HoP, but managed to grab my cloaking device and now had learned my lesson about the water puddles.
I thought it was a good thing honestly. It also meant that the changeling who turned into a shambler and screamed at me when I tried to dispose of it got the better of me. Which again is okay.
I had no idea they had reverted that change as I really didn't see any reason to when I was using it.
The ways I got fucked over seemed fair.
Actually there are a lot of situations where cloakers are garbage. If they are stunned or enough damage is done to them, the cloak gets disabled.

So if you know there is a cloaker about, and you see a door open and you have a shootan gun just shoot at the door as soon as it is open. If you don't hit, take evasive action and run out of the door they opened and shoot behind you. If you don't hit, run to an area that there is only one door to a hallway, AKA the air bridge or security. These are great places to catch a cloaker you can't see. Also, if you see signs of a cloaker, dodge and weave as if they have a gun.

They're pretty easy to deal with as long as they use it like most people do.
Klayboxx Wrote:Actually there are a lot of situations where cloakers are garbage. If they are stunned or enough damage is done to them, the cloak gets disabled.
And if I remember correctly the amount of damage it takes is pretty damn low.
Dauntasa Wrote:make flashes disable cloaks again

removing that was stupid

it was stupid when assholes with flashes would constantly click it and spam the area flash, blinding every single person in that room over and over again just because they thought a cloaker was in there.

A rechargeable cloaker sounds nice.
yo maybe i'm wrong but I think the biggest problem with cloak balance is: a cloak isn't too useful unless you do the prep work-- isolating the dudes with thermals & subverting the AI. so I don't mind a regular traitor who puts in the legwork to be invisible but the Captain/HoP need to exert 0 effort to do it so that's why it feels extra bogus when they use cloak. Trashbear :smugdroid: :pgi: :lron: :douche: caw caw Hope u got 10 bux
mozi Wrote:yo maybe i'm wrong but I think the biggest problem with cloak balance is: a cloak isn't too useful unless you do the prep work-- isolating the dudes with thermals & subverting the AI. so I don't mind a regular traitor who puts in the legwork to be invisible but the Captain/HoP need to exert 0 effort to do it so that's why it feels extra bogus when they use cloak. Trashbear :smugdroid: :pgi: :lron: :douche: caw caw Hope u got 10 bux
Well see, I feel like if the people who have thermals are doing their jobs right, it'd be pretty hard to be isolated like that.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:Well see, I feel like if the people who have thermals are doing their jobs right, it'd be pretty hard to be isolated like that.

And a lot of the time the only person who has thermals is the Detective. So whether a Cloaker will murder half the station or not rests on the shoulders of one person's competence/luck?
I don't see the cloak nearly as much as I used to anyway. I think it's fine as it is.
Readster Wrote:I don't see the cloak nearly as much as I used to anyway. I think it's fine as it is.
I kinda think one of the reasons people get so bent out of shape about cloakers is that they see them so rarely these days, they don't know what to do about it.