Pali6's Mentor Application
Usual character name: Frederick Cooper
BYOND username: Pali6
Discord username (if you are on our discord): pali6#0439
Recommended by (if applicable): AleksAdamska, Adhara, Kovirii, WhatATerribleUsername
Goon servers you play: Usually non-rp but I hop into rp once in a blue moon.

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):
I enjoy teaching and being a helpful person both in game and in real life. Not only does that allow me to share a passion for something with other people, but interactions with newbies tend to be fun and memorable in general. I've had a lot of fun both teaching things to people and just exploring the world of ss13 by proxy of a new player that I show around. I think that for a game as complex as ss13 having a team that can quickly answer people's questions is essential for the retention of new players as it's very easy to get dissuaded if you are alone and everything is alien to you. And I'd love to help with that, both for the sake of the new players themselves and for the sake of the server playercount. I already often answer questions in the Discord server or in-game over comms so being a mentor is the natural continuation. And while I always remind new players that they should use F3 to ask mentors for help, it has always felt a bit weird as I would not be answering those questions. I personally have seldom used the mentorhelp because I'm a stubborn bastard that tries to figure out things by himself, but I love to pass on that knowledge to whoever is willing to ask for it. Finally, over the past few months I came to really enjoy being a part of this great community and by becoming a mentor I'd be able to give back and help the community a little more.

I've been playing for over a year and I think I've managed to explore a big part of this game mechanics. I would be most comfortable answering questions about things related to research, mechanics and engineering, but I've dipped my toes in every department. Usually when I decide to learn a certain mechanic or department I try to figure out as much as I can (I might or might not have made an actual graph of the potency of TTVs) and I usually write down everything in case I forget. I'm familiar with packets, MechComp, DWAINE, the debris field, the adventure zones and I try to note down every obscure mechanic I stumble upon. There's definitely more that I could write down in the game experience part but I don't think there's much point in describing my experience with every department and mechanic, but I believe that my game knowledge is sufficient to be a mentor. I'm also eager to learn wherever my knowledge proves to be insufficient. And while the 2016 code release is not representative of the current game I've been able to figure out solutions to quite a few problems and issues by digging through it.

Also I made the patch that made peeing into beakers and glasses easier. I've been led to believe that questions about peeing make up at least half of the mentorhelp questions so by that logic I've already resolved a bunch of mhelps!  bee 

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): none
Pali is a good egg. +1
I agree, Pali is a good nerd and they'd be a good mentor.
Very knowledgeable and pleasant nerd. Good candidate to be a mentor.
very smart good good nerd +1 plus one for pali
Pali a good player with plenty of experience to become a mentor.

They learn fast and are good at teaching others. On several occasions Pali has been able to answer questions that I myself have had in discord, and they did so in a friendly and helpful way.

In game they are good player that participates in round gimmicks, and seems more concerned with having fun than winning (a excellent quality to have in my opinion). They add to the round and facilitate cooperation rather than power gaming and playing ss13 like it's a solo game.

An important part of being a mentor is to be trusted with in game information that other players won't have. I believe that Pali is both responsible and trustworthy enough to not abuse information that they may obtain as a mentor.

The use of actual science is also an excellent trait. I think Pali's use of actual data collection and analysis to better understand ingame mechanics speaks to their ability to learn new systems and skills, and in turn explain those same systems and skills to others in a concise way. The more you understand about a topic the easier of a time you'll have trying to explain it to someone else.

In short - make Pali a mentor!
Yes
Oh my god a mentor who knows packets! We need more of those. Yes please! +1
Absolutely, especially since I badgered you into applying!
Haven't had a lot of experience with Pali in-game that I can recall, but they've been very decent and willing to teach people in Discord, so I absolutely give them a yes
yes absolutely
Yes, definately