Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 1.47 Average
Remove Cog1 from the rotation for a while
I'm so tired of seeing it, and I'd like to see cog2 become more of the default.
oh god no.

1. it's rare to have enough players for cogmap 2

2. You cannot remove the one map that gets chosen over manta (even if it's only chosen sometimes).

3. Got any reasons other than personal opinion?

Apologies if i phrased this harshly, it was not intended as such.
^ basically this
I had to log in to give this a 1 star.

The problem some people have with cog 2 is that it's too big. And you need a good server pop to make it interesting. Whereas Cog 1 has been a pretty solid and balanced staple of goon for years now. Back when I started, that's all there was. It was cog 1. So I think the other thing too is, it got the most iteration and refinement since it was played so much.
I like Cog1 though, I'm actually enjoying it more than Cog2, especially at highpop, since I like a crowded station.
Bring back Mushroom for a few days and ya'll will be begging for cog1.
I think the problem here is lack of variety for mediumpop maps that are in space and are enjoyable by most of the community.

I think an analysis on why Cog1 is such a popular map is in order, honestly.

If I had to guess, Cog1's layout is the biggest factor. It's a very linear map; one long primary hallway that doesn't loop on itself. The departments aren't massive and empty or cramped, and there's plenty of nooks and crannies. The layout is very easy to get used to, and each part of the map is fairly distinct. You can easily tell where you are. Compare that to Cog2, where there's areas that look EXTREMELY similar to one another (typically the areas near the air bridges, as well as Escape/Arrivals), so it's a bit confusing at times.

Clarion, while of a similar scale, has quite a few branching hallways that make navigation a bit of a pain in the butt. Some of the departments are also a bit cramped and/or weirdly laid out (not necessarily bad, but some people don't like it).

While the Horizon is also really neat and of a similar scale in terms of departments, and has a single linear hallway, it's fucking LONG and a bit hard to navigate.

I also think a big part is just people being super used to Cog1 and being familiar with lots of its mechanics (Toxins, TEG, etc.), as well as many little hidden nooks and crannies and useful features (e.g device analyzer in the warehouse, chemmaster in maint, easily accessible tools, etc.).
Cog1's layout is one of the reasons I am tired of it. That, and it's too easy to depressurize giant portions of the station with little that can be done to fix it. There are not enough places to hide or make mischief, and it's a bad map for certain antag types.

Also goddamn it's been there like every other round for years and years now, I would like to see cog2 become the default. A map being big isn't bad!
The problem with big maps is having the people to fill it.

I know when I first joined Cog 2 was the default, but then people dropped off and stopped playing and 1 was the new default.

You want 2, get non-shitlers to join us.
maybe turn cog1 off after 40 players? we’ve got to move forward
I dislike cog1 purely because of it's medical layout.