Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Deep Ocean Stations need alternate power methods
Something I seen comparing Oshan and Manta to Cog 1 and 2 or Destiny or Horizon is that anything underwater based has no alternate power systems. Which means if something isn't set up right away, the stations will run out of power rather quickly. Where as the stations in space will at least retain some basic functionality due to their general solar grids helping them keep the lights on.

This post was originally just going to be directed at Manta, since it's a large underwater sub with a blackhole that powers it, and people can screw it up within the first 10 minutes and ruin the rest of the round. Not only causing major damage, but also blacking out the entire ship since there isn't anything to back it up. So an idea was hatched on discord that maybe having a RTG generator as a backup isn't that bad of an option as an alternate power source for Manta to have at least have some secondary power, and wouldn't require any new sprites or anything to be made for it to work. As far as I know anyway.

As for Oshan, well that's a bit tricky. The Geothermal system is a bit harder to work with than the singularity system, and if you screw it up, at least a bit 'safer.' However there have been plenty of rounds I seen it outright ignored till the lights start going out, and again... Oshan doesn't have a secondary power source, so once the power runs dry. It's an automatic shuttle call. So I propose a new power source; The thing is, this idea would be a bit more involved as I think ocean current generators for Oshan would really fit the theme the most. It would be 4 turbine looking type generators that work like underwater solars that are 'pushed' but the oceans current for some passive energy. (I'm not a coder but probably just taking the solar code and rewording and tweaking a few things can probably work here.)
(09-15-2019, 01:48 PM)Silvercloud29 Wrote: current generators for Oshan would really fit the theme the most. It would be 4 turbine looking type generators that work like underwater solars that are 'pushed' but the oceans current for some passive energy

these were actually planned during oshan development but we weren't able to source the sprites. would still accept if someone wants to draw - big machines, in perspective, possibly some animation idk
As a quick solution, why not add some of those experimental plasma engines pre-connected and ready to be fueled and turned on by a smart/lazy Engineer? Or you could add a boiler room that has furnaces that make power directly sans Thermal Engine.
Seriously. RTG is the best fit for manta. And it desperately needs it.
We had the singularity escape two rounds in a row within 10 minutes.

Oshan needs some funky old backup generators kicking around. Or the ability to tie sharks up to some kind of mouse wheel.
The TEG is a nice power source and one that currently exists and is fully functional.
the TEG will not work properly underwater because of the different atmospheric composition of ocean (the TEG is entirely reliant on bugs, to the point where you can't get a real hellburn going unless you can vent to space)

also IMO engines should be unique per-map. its boring that we have 5 maps that use the same engine
This is true, yeah.

Well, what other power sources are in the works in terms of code? I figure that there's an incomplete nuclear reactor but how does that make electricity? Having steam turbines that generate power based on the rate at which steam is flowing would be cool (specifically steam instead of plasma, since water is everywhere underwater [shocking!]).
i think the 3 best options are (in order of hardest to easiest codewise)
finish nuclear reactor
improve the singularity so it starts weaker and responds more visibly to gains, possibly add option of re-containing it
get sprites for a big ol turbine generator and make it behave similar to solars

(also yes there is the possibility of new engine concepts relating to steam or smoke or fluids or whatever, im not gonna go out of my way to code these anytime soon but i can share relevant fluid procs for anyone interested)
take propellers, rotate 180 degrees.
c:
(09-17-2019, 12:58 PM)warcrimes Wrote: take propellers, rotate 180 degrees.
c:

In all seriousness, considering the kinds of tidal energy devices they've conceptualized, it's not too off the mark. If one really didn't want to animate the propellers, they could try the Enclosed Tips (Venturi) design mentioned in the site page. It's basically shaped like a jet engine, and you could probably reuse one of the old vent sprites for the itsy bitsy turbine.
oh i was just being cheeky because the perspective would be all wrong, but yeah they're absolutely the right fit for the job, if adapted well enough.