Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.89 Average
Content Filter In Chat Options
There's been a lot of talk lately about some of our most gruesome chat messages going a bit too far for some players.

we already have a system for selectively filtering out chat messages by combat, dialogue, etc.

I think a fair option is to add an "explicit content" flag to these and similar messages and enable it as a filter option in the chat gearbox thing.
+1 to this.

There's no real negative aspect to giving the option, while all positive for those who don't stomach the gruesome content well.
literally 0 negative impact

and to lurkey: its not weak or shitty to cater to a minority who gets uncomfortable around intensely graphic chat messages. its called common decency and respect for members of the community
something I just thought of:

if you like this sort of content, I feel this is actually to your benefit. making it a toggle means that more brutal messages can be added without worry because only the people who opt in will see it.
Yeah, is a good idea.
Make it a toggleable thing, so those who don't want to see the "explicit thing" can toggle it ON, and they won't see it.

Though, this does beg the question(s): What would be defined as "explicit"? I know in discord we were using the example of in-game strychnine, but what else would potentially fall under this category? And at what point would we go "oh geez, we've put so much into the "explicit" category, we've made a whole new "family-friendly" server"

As long as what's put into this filter is reasonable, and not like, putting half of the stuff that's currently there into it, I think it'll be fine. Personally, I'd have it toggled off, 'cause so far, haven't run into much, if any; "oh god oh god what's that creepy thing?!" stuff.
This seems like a more then fair middle ground for people who don't like it and people who do. +1
(09-13-2019, 09:43 AM)Argun1 Wrote: Yeah, is a good idea.
Make it a toggleable thing, so those who don't want to see the "explicit thing" can toggle it ON, and they won't see it.

Though, this does beg the question(s): What would be defined as "explicit"? I know in discord we were using the example of in-game strychnine, but what else would potentially fall under this category? And at what point would we go "oh geez, we've put so much into the "explicit" category, we've made a whole new "family-friendly" server"

As long as what's put into this filter is reasonable, and not like, putting half of the stuff that's currently there into it, I think it'll be fine. Personally, I'd have it toggled off, 'cause so far, haven't run into much, if any; "oh god oh god what's that creepy thing?!" stuff.
I feel like this could be a go-forward option. this only came up recently for strych, so that'll be the first item on the list.

personally, I'd like to see more brutal messages like this added, but not if it hurts the experience of others. future extra-brutal messages could be added specifically as a result of this filter and not be retroactive to existing content
Yeah, this seems good.
im going to specify here: strychnine was added and was at the normal level of what would be considered "goon violence". the people who are voicing their concerns about strychnine being too graphic were fine with that. then it was updated to be more graphic, and people are voicing their concerns about it. this was something that was added relatively recently in the scale of things,and doesn't necessarily match with the sort of violence that had been in goon before. (azungar's vivisectors were added after bad strychnine messages by the way, just in case you want to counterpoint with that. azungar's supposedly reworking them, we'll see how that turns out)
seems like it would be a good change, not really my thing but more options that other people can use can't be a bad thing

feel like the only real issue is figuring out where the line is. If adhara is correct about what other people are saying, it's only a few recent additions crossing the lines for some people, right? If so, I suppose all we'd have to do is add the toggle to those few additions and just keep it in mind going forwards, and the community would self moderate when patching going on from there. If anyone wants to go back over older messages to shave stuff off, that might be a lot harder, though, and should be explicitly planned around if that's what's done.
I don't really see a problem with this, I've heard several people get ill or turned off by the messages from strychnine and such, while I dont personally experience this, I do understand that sometimes it provokes bad mental imagery.

So, i'll support a explicit message filter for peeps since its really at no downside and id imagine it wouldn't be too-too hard to make it clientside aswell.
Apparently strychnine messages got toned down a bit. But if this is a feature that people want in the future this would take literally one line of code + marking of each message that you want to be hidden by the toggle: (in this example I only added "Creepy message!" with this label)

[Image: unknown.png]
so the major issue with the toggle is that it adds another level of complexity and would require a fairly herculean task of skimming all possible outputs in the codebase, determining which ones are over a certain "line" that people can't seem to agree on to begin with, and add that flag to each of them.

as pali mentionned, the text in question has been changed to resemble other comparable disease outputs. they might change again depending on feedback and other circumstances.

either way, the suggestion still poses a difficult choice:
do we write an entire set of "censored" text for replacing grotesque content, or do we deny the player what is essential information on the progression of their disease. both are suboptimal.

I personally think the right way forward is to be conscious of what's going into the game, how it's recieved, and letting that inform the content decisions. that's my 2c and not an official statement.
My personal belief is that if you think people are being too grotesque, you should ahelp them, lobby for rules changes, or find somewhere else to play. Trying to code in some ridiculous filtering mechanism is easily the worst possible way to handle this.
(09-14-2019, 11:22 PM)Berrik Wrote: My personal belief is that if you think people are being too grotesque, you should ahelp them, lobby for rules changes, or find somewhere else to play. Trying to code in some ridiculous filtering mechanism is easily the worst possible way to handle this.

This isn't about communications, you massive nerd. It's primarily about the displayed messages that were part of the effects of a reagent, secondarily about other "system message" type prompts (potentially at least, determining what if anything would get covered is presumably part of the thread's purpose).