Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
We need to talk about the invisible deathtrap that is CO2 canisters
Mouse is fairly spot on. Unlike other asphyxiating gases, the body has a couple of mechanisms to deal with increased CO2 and decreased O2 levels (e.g. increased breathing rate, changing bicarbonate levels in kidenys), and there's a that you're suffering from CO2 poisoning. So there is some real-life basis for being able to recognize you're breathing in too much CO2, though I'd rather shy away from realism arguments for a game where you can eat beans to fly in space with farts and restart your heart with a stun gun. 

Don't really like the "SS13 is a deathtrap, live with it" argument. There's lots of ways to die on SS13, but there's lots of ways to live too. A changeling can neurosting you before slurping up your DNA, but there's a 20-sec window for you to scream for help or administer some anti-neurosting meds (or just set DNR like a candy-ass). A traitor can slice you with a c-saber, but you can run away, slip, or shoot them before they can act, among many other combat tactics. A few things aren't so avoidable or counterable, but they're the ones players complain about for that very reason. I know some of the admins don't like instant deathtraps either. MBC once said something like "newbie traps are terrible and are only funny the first time around" and revised a line on the Chaplain page that encouraged players to fart on the bible, after some admins repeatedly expressed misgivings about it (including Flaborized, I think).

With that out of the way, I'd like to add that the few times I suffocated in CO2, I did see an low-O2 indicator, though only quite a while after coughing. Based on the public release, I'm guessing that the code that rolls a chance to do the cough emote isn't actually executing and that the code for breathing in excess CO2 isn't setting the breathing var to 0, which would trigger the losebreath counter and thus low-O2 indicator. Maybe it's different in the current version though.

Messages In This Thread
RE: We need to talk about the invisible deathtrap that is CO2 canisters - by Studenterhue - 09-09-2019, 04:01 PM