Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Add an empowered effect to dimensional shift/ rework dimensional shift
After talking with Ursula major on discord. We have created an idea for a possible empowered effect for dimensional shift
  1. upon use it sends you to a pocket dimension of sorts
  2. space is compressed 4 or 8 times (e.g if you move 1 tile inside its 4 tiles outside etc.)
  3. you have a small viewport which uses meson logic in that you cant see mobs and only the structure. This is so that you can position yourself
  4. upon exiting you'd pop back into the place relative to were you exited in the "pocket dimension"
Preferably make this pocket dimension a public area so that you can hang out there if need be. Warcrimes says that a space-compression framework is already in game. viewport framework is already in game as seen by AI viewports and according to mbc there's a flag that you can set in order to disallow or allow viewing of mobs.
Now some people may call this overpowered and i don't believe this is the case due to a number of reasons:
  1. dimensional shift is combination only
  2. You cant use complex to make it as it results in other mutations
  3. dimensional shift has a large effect on your stability already (-20)
Now there's only one possible downside to this that i could think of. If you wanted to use it like old dimensional shift you would not be able to see mobs. this is why i think this should be an empowered version instead of a full rework.
EDIT: (clarified a part near end)
I like it, adds a rather unique ability.

I can already sense the captain's spare ID is going to be the first victim.
This sounds like something that you'd be able to get if you combined synchronized self biomass manipulation (so basically a dangerous phase shift) and empowered dimensional shift. Making it require self biomass would make you have to work just a bit more or have a bit more luck, which doesn't hurt considering how big of a feature it would be.
And if it was just empowered dimensional shift you'd instantly get it once getting dimensional shift, making plain dimensional shift irrelevant.
Sounds neat.
(09-07-2019, 03:44 AM)Haprenti Wrote: This sounds like something that you'd be able to get if you combined synchronized self biomass manipulation (so basically a dangerous phase shift) and empowered dimensional shift. Making it require self biomass would make you have to work just a bit more or have a bit more luck, which doesn't hurt considering how big of a feature it would be.
And if it was just empowered dimensional shift you'd instantly get it once getting dimensional shift, making plain dimensional shift irrelevant.
Sounds neat.

There would be a few advantages to plain dim shift
  1. You get the choose what chromosome you want on it
    like remove the stability cost. whereas with empowered dimshift you'd be restricted
  2. plain dim shift would be better for sitting in one place due to being able to see mobs.
  3. plain dim shift is completely private where as this has a single "pocket dimension" thats shared by all who have empowered dim shift

Now this could be a completely separate mutation called like "subspace phase" (or someother nerdy name)
I think having chromosomes on mutations prior to combining has no effect and just straight up deletes the chromosome. How ever making this into a separate mutation would potentially buff it as you could have the freedom to change its chromosome to anything. Although making it it's own mutation would allow for changing the stability cost to something higher like -40 instead of -20 or perhaps even -50, but i think -50 would be a bit much.
really neat idea, but i would remove #3 (you have a small viewport which uses meson logic in that you cant see mobs and only the structure. This is so that you can position yourself) since i think it would be a really interesting mechanic if you can't actually see where you'll end up without thinking about it prior to entering the dimension
(09-07-2019, 08:12 AM)moonlol Wrote: There would be a few advantages to plain dim shift
  1. You get the choose what chromosome you want on it
    like remove the stability cost. whereas with empowered dimshift you'd be restricted
  2. plain dim shift would be better for sitting in one place due to being able to see mobs.
  3. plain dim shift is completely private where as this has a single "pocket dimension" thats shared by all who have empowered dim shift

Now this could be a completely separate mutation called like "subspace phase" (or someother nerdy name)
I think having chromosomes on mutations prior to combining has no effect and just straight up deletes the chromosome. How ever making this into a separate mutation would potentially buff it as you could have the freedom to change its chromosome to anything. Although making it it's own mutation would allow for changing the stability cost to something higher like -40 instead of -20 or perhaps even -50, but i think -50 would be a bit much.

That's true, there would still be advantages. That makes me think it should be its own mutation even more as the suggested effect isn't a straight upgrade but works completely differently.
Chromosomes on mutations don't do anything while combining currenly, but it could be changed to allow for more complex combinations recquiring specific chromosomes on specific mutations. I feel like there's no need to have a whole bunch of different mutations using this would-be feature to justify it, they can get added later once the code is there.
(Also throw in the result of combinations keeping a chromosomes if both combined mutations had the same one, while we're at it.)