Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
colored lighting overhaul
In the game there's currently colored lighting, according to cogwerks, it can be anything in the RGB gradient.

Why not use this alongside paint?
paint a lightbulb, flashlight or glowstick a color, and it now puts that shade out.

Add a yellow blinking light to the mule, red and blue to the secbots, and red and white to the medbots when chasing or active.

add headlights to the pods and shuttles, and blinking lights to things like the fire alarm and smes.
You can make colored lights already. Check the general manufacturer!
Not really related, but I think it would be amusing and useful if sec helmets had built in red and blue flashing lights that could be turned on and off, and maybe make a siren noise.

Basically visually telling people "I have my gun out because I am chasing after a person/responding to a crisis, please move out of the way if possible"
Yeah, it's not like every Sec Officer ever wouldn't turn the helmet on, climb on a Segway and scream WEE-OO WEE-OO into the radio as they fulfill their dream of being a police car.

What I'm saying is why the hell don't we have this yet? Some dude even made the sprites for it like a month or two ago.
Blinking lights are currently too cpu intensive to exist.

It might be possible with some kind of special optimised blinking light code that saves the on and off states and flips back and forth between the saved values instead of recalculating everything for every change like it would now.

Unfortunately I think I'm too stupid to do that.

Someone bribe Tobba.
As long as we're talking about lights, is there any way to effectively create and turn on new lights? I tried to build a space disco the other day, with a whole range of colored light tubes, but we couldn't figure out a way to make the damn light brackets we installed work.

I know that lights work off of APUs, and APUs are kind of weird, but is there a quick fix that could be implemented here? Buildable buttons or lamps that work when they're on electrified tiles or something?
magic mountain Wrote:Blinking lights are currently too cpu intensive to exist.

It might be possible with some kind of special optimised blinking light code that saves the on and off states and flips back and forth between the saved values instead of recalculating everything for every change like it would now.

Unfortunately I think I'm too stupid to do that.

Someone bribe Tobba.

This is an interesting concept here actually - lights are basically additive aren't they? Fixtures are fixed unless someone builds one, so it would make sense to cache each turfs' light contributions per area in both their off and on state (would the off be like 0?); then you could determine the turf's lighting by taking the contribution from all non-zero contribution powered areas (much faster than recalculating it by taking each fixture), and when that's done, add the uncacheable contributing factors (fires, flashlights, whatever). This way only turfs which are in range of a light bulb/tube being removed/added have to be recalculated.
david2222121 Wrote:Yeah, it's not like every Sec Officer ever wouldn't turn the helmet on, climb on a Segway and scream WEE-OO WEE-OO into the radio as they fulfill their dream of being a police car.

What I'm saying is why the hell don't we have this yet? Some dude even made the sprites for it like a month or two ago.
Sprites for that: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1143