Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major Saline-Glucose still adds blood past 500 units.
According to the wiki, Saline-Glucose solution is only supposed to add blood when the patient is below 500 units. This is completely false. Using saline-glucose will add blood to the patient regardless of how high their levels are. Normally this isn't enough to cause problems (blood pressure is way more forgiving now then when it was first added), but it makes the saline-glucose IV drips actively harmful, as when used for surgery it will, without fail, cause the patient to gain blood past safe levels and give them hypertension, which is why I have marked this bug as major. This glitch has existed since blood pressure was added and coders have told me they have fixed it several times, but it persists to this day.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. have 500 units of blood in you
  2. use a saline-glucose auto injector
  3. wait for saline-glucose to deplete from your bloodstream
  4. use upgraded medical scanner to check blood levels
Alternatively:
  1. find idiot who needs surgery
  2. use the saline-glucose drip to stop idiot from bleeding to death on the operating table
  3. preform surgery
  4. scan patient with any medical scanner to see they have hypertension
As far as I know, saline was never supposed to act the way you describe. I've always seen that it adds more blood to your body regardless of the amount you have. So if it was supposed to stop adding blood if you have over 500 blood then that's news to me.

If it is in-fact a bug, it could be changed of course. But I always took it as a reason to be more careful about what you're doing in surgery, that you should not be giving them the full 200u of saline in each bag.
As I said in the original post, I have complained about this in OOC and the discord many times over the course of two years and every single time a coder has told me it is a bug and that they fixed it but it has never been fixed. If it is an intended feature, then the wiki has been wrong for the entirety of those two years.
I got reminded of this on the discord. This bug still exists and I still hate it.
As annoying as this is, I feel it's somewhat needed for saline to have some kind of drawback, or at least something to make it less practical to chug a whole IV bag and enjoy its half-assed regeneration for the rest of the shift. That, and hypertension isnt really all /that/ bad, most of the effects are counteracted with coffee and aspirin, more annoying than actually disabling.

That said, the extra blood and pressure might be good as an overdose effect with saline, where it only starts adding /too much/ blood after you get a whole bunch in you. Might give a neato use to those IV poles, where you can configure the infusion rate or something.
So I did some git log digging and found the following

1) Stopping blood addition was experimented with during blood system development, which is probably why it made it onto the wiki

2) This was removed in 2016 by the time Haine made a commit with only the message "gurgle".

From what I can tell the 500 unit thing was a temporary thing that got removed, and the eternal blood addition is the intended behavior now, and not a bug. The wiki is just out of date, which I'll fix in a moment.