Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Exposure to radiation should give you good genes too
Right now radiation as a status effect does tox damage and gives you bad mutations randomly. I think it should give you good mutations as well albeit more rarely than the bad. Maybe every time you roll for a mutation it could do another 25% roll to give you one from a pool of "good" mutations. You could even make it so that you always get a bad mutation when you get a good one from radiation sources to make it impossible to use low doses of radioactive chemicals and mutadone to get specific good mutations with no downsides.

Advantages to this idea:

- It fits the tone and theme of the game, scientists pouring radium on themselves to see what superpowers it gives them is very SS13

- It'd make for fun choices, currently if you get a horrible mutation from touching a rock as a miner you just go to medbay and get mutadone to remove it. With this change it'd be more of a real choice. Remove your bad genes but also remove your cool superpower with mutadone or live with the disability so you can have laser eyes?

- It just generally seems really fun to me and not super abusable, I can imagine some comedic stories coming from this change, especially if it included genes like mass emesis or ink glands.

You could make the syndicate radbow special and not give you good genes somehow since it's a traitor item, maybe it uses syndicate radiation or something?
I noticed in general that radiation seems way more prone to causing mutation after the status system update a while back. Previously it would take a radstorm or poisoning with radiation to cause mutation. Nowadays handling cerenkite for less than a second is enough to cause mutation.
The fact it only gives you bad genes is such a massive disappointment.

I want to be a shitty super hero with a LEGITIMATE radioactive backstory damn it!
A good idea.

For those thinking this is a bad idea or perhaps unbalanced - It is HIGHLY unlikely that those exposing themselves to radiation will be left with JUST good genes. What is more likely is you'll have some deaf blind mute with hulk. And due to the nondiscriminatory coding of Mutadone, you can't remove bad genes without removing the good. Ask any geneticist who's been shot by the Medical Director.

It's like the Devil Contracts, only more radioactive.
Didn't even realize it only gave bad mutations. I say yeah let it give all kinds of mutations. The only downside I can think of is someone radiating themselves for free powers but then they also get a fuck ton of tox damage and it would probably be easier to just go to genetics anyway.
Yes, I am going to make it give all kinda. Right now we mainly classify genes in terms of good or bad (sorta, there are other classifications but they aren't so straightforward). I'm going to make radiation allow all mutations in the gene pool.
As long as its given a ratio similar to how glowing slurry works with majority bad minimal good, it'd limit abuse and I think it'd be "okay" while still allowing some interesting-ish gameplay interactions.

Still slightly abusable via microdosing and adding/removing mutations one at a time, or utilizing a gene scanner to just remove the bad genes entirely while keeping the good ones.