Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gang Mode: Gang Item Rewards Thread
This is kind of a suggestion thread and a sprite/asset request thread all in one.

There's been a lot of discussion about the state of Gang Mode lately and we have plans to make several improvements. One theme that has come up time and time again has to do with the points in Gang Mode. The points don't mean anything in-round and the different ways to acquire them are a quite out of balance. 

In that interest, the general plan is to allow gangs to but Gang Items from the points they earn by doing their gang activities (capturing turfs, making drugs, stealing the payroll budget). A major part of this will be to re-balance point earning, but that's not so relevant here. Originally we were planning to just add a bunch of syndicate or useful items to the list of items the gang members can buy with their points, but I thought it would be fun to use this as an opportunity to add more Gang-themed weapons (To keep the game mode unique) and such, since adding items like this is usually relatively painless. 

So things you think would be fun for gangs to use: Guns, lead pipes, switchblades, swords, aviator sunglasses. Or even more campy things, like kung fu or ninja weapons for the gang stylish gang. Or Hatchets for a Hatchet Gang.

Update: So I made a google doc compiling most of the suggestions here and tried to organize things into categories. Of different gang themes (Country Western Gang, Space Gang, Kung Fu Gang) and different item functions(Weapon, Clothing/Armor, Misc). Ideally I'd like all the different themes to be of comparable quality and quantity. so here it is for your perusal:
Streen Gang
    -Weapon
        Lead pipe- 100
        Chain bat - 200
        Switchblade - 150
        Shiv- 300
    -Clothing/Armor
        Aviator sunglasses
        Brass Knuckles/Knuckleduster - 400
    -Misc
        Getaway car - 2000
        Molotov Cocktail - 200 - weak incendiary grenade
Old Timey suit gang, Al Capone?
    -Weapon
        Regular Tommy gun - 2000
        Tire Iron - 300 More damaging crowbar
    -Clothing
        1930’s suits - 900 . as body armor 
        Dress shoes - 200 . Military boots, stylish
    -Misc
        n/a
Kung Fu Gang
    -Weapon
        Nunchucks - 400
        Quarterstaff - 800
        Hatchet - 500- throwable on_hit effect and special attack - chop. Chance to dismember a limb
        Machete - 800, reskinned katana but less so. Can remove limbs on crit hits
    -Clothing
        Tigerclaw - 400
        Colored Headband - 100
    -Misc
        n/a
Ninja/Japanese/Samurai
    -Weapons
        Discount katana - 800- only folded two times
        Shuriken ammo pouch of 4 - 300. Like weak lawn darts
    -Clothing
        Sneaking suit - IDK what this even does-
        Dumb naurto headband?
    -Misc
        Buddha statue (Deployable. Slowly, passively heals anyone near it) - 400
Country Western Gang
    -Weapon
        Revolver - 600- With a hammer you have to manually cock for each shot
    -Clothing
        Poncho - 900 - weak body armor
        Fake mustache
    -Misc
        Rideable Horse (Fast movement, tramples people who are on the ground, dealing brute dmg) - 1200
Space Gang
    -Weapon
        Discount C-Saber - 1000- Does burn damage no bleed
        Laser gun or phaser gun
    -Clothing
        eva suit
    -Misc
        Air tanks/jetpack
        Stimpack - 2000 - stimpack
        Nerfed Robutsec - 1000, inject saline, and synthflesh, and epinepherine 

Misc Gang
    -Weapons
        Ratstick - 500
        Gang Mindslave (forcefully recruits someone into your gang. Limit 2 per round?) - 5000
    -Clothing
        /na
    -Misc
        Medicine. Health kits. Medical drone
        Golf club - 600
        Golf ball - 100
I quite like the idea of having rewards for gaining points, and I do fully support it, but there is one caveat that should be addressed:

It seems that this could make it impossible (or at least extremely difficult) for a losing gang to stop losing - a gang with more points has more tools and gear to get more points and take out other gangs, meaning other gangs are more easily beaten and lose their territory faster, which leads to the winning gang getting even more points.

So, while I support rewards for getting points, there could be random drops based on total points accumulated across all gangs. So, if one gang is doing really well and the total number of points among ALL gangs surpasses some pre-determined value, then a crate with random loot is dropped somewhere on the station and announced to all gang channels with the general location of the loot crate (or multiple loot crates). The crates cannot be opened or dragged by anyone NOT in a gang (though this isn't a necessary feature if people think that this isn't necessary).

What this would result in is a risk/reward scenario, wherein by gaining more points as a gang you can potentially get even stronger, but you run the risk of giving rival gangs tools to combat you.

For actual items, perhaps they should be based on where the drops happen. For example, if a loot crate is dropped in the Science department, then certain Scientist-specific traitor gear (excluding, say, the portable Chemi-Compiler) could be in the crate. Similarly, a crate dropped in Maintenance would have Staff Assistant unique gear. Of course, these job-specific items should be added to a pool of possible loot in the crate, not guaranteed - so you can still get a revolver in a science crate, even though it's a universal traitor item.

The total number of items shouldn't be static, but rather based on TC cost. For example, each crate could have, say, 6 TC worth of gear. So, you could get a single Emag and nothing else, or 2 mindslave implants, or a Syndie Device Analyzer and a chameleon projector.

I'd say that the vast majority of traitor items should be available in the drop boxes, save for things that require heavy technical skill (e.g chemi-compiler). Also, there should be major drops that have a budget of 12 TC that are very obviously announced as a high-value drop box.

For gang-unique items, perhaps there could be:
  • Deluxe Spray-Can ~ You spray your tags even faster (and looks cooler!). Try not to lose it to a rival gang member, dipshit.
  • Drugs/Cash ~ Simple but you get more points! How nice! (Or you could use the money to buy gear and the drugs to better fight people - up to you)
  • Gang Goggles ~ Rare drop (equivalent to 12 TC) that lets you see exactly who is in an enemy gang and what gang they're in. Very obvious when you wear it, though - try not to lose it!
  • Re-skinned traitor items ~ Mechanically identical re-skins of certain traitor items that are gang-themed (e.g police baton reskinned to a lead pipe, or a katana reskinned to a machete)
Big into this idea as a whole.

Not too hot on the idea that some items would/should be restricted solely to Gang. I feel there should be some items that are available through normal means (traders and especially construction if the item is janky as fuck) and the more stronger items restricted.

Im just not a fan of modes living in their own microcosm. Kind of sours the "do anything" feel of ss13. But that's a big digression, I'mma return to this thread at a later date.

*Cough" SWED Knuckledusters *cough*
I think it would be neat if individual gangs had unique abilities and items. For instance, a gang called "The Mutants" that got genetics powers. Give people reason a solid reason to join one gang over another
I feel like getting more turfs should unlock different equipment of varying strengths based on the amount of turfs won, while then the gangs can spend their points from weed/meth/etc, on acquiring said hardware.
it'd provide a decent-ish balance and could potentially allow the other gangs to play a bit more catch up by sabotaging a gang's point income via methods.

I do agree though that adding rewards will inevitably lead to a snowball regardless of the decision, but we can deal with that road when it comes later, gang really needs *something* to make it less, well, turd.
I really like the idea of rewards for gang activities. It'd really help drive the round forward and create real points of conflict (control of areas, control of chem/botany for drugs, QM for guns and resources, etc) rather than the nebulous gang points that currently have no impact. While I agree this will lead to snowballing, it'd provide a lot more motivation for players to actually gang instead of turning the round into ass day for 1/3 of the server.

As for the rewards, I'm in the group that thinks that gang rewards shouldn't be traitor items, but rather knock off crappier versions.
What if there were gang roles, appointable by a gang leader, that let people collect something similar to Syndicate kits? Stuff like:

The Wheelman - Moves a little faster, gets a car
The Muscle - Gets the Meat head trait, brass knuckles
The Snitch - Can spot other gang members, bleeds easily
The Hitman - Gets a bald cap, Fibre wire, and two clocks
The Loanshark - Gets a sharp suit and a briefcase for depositing loot into
Perhaps, in addition to the area control mechanism, there could be drops of special equipment announced to all gangs, always in a fairly secluded location.

The 'drops' can't be moved, nor can they be opened by non-gang members, and have a timed lock on them. Once opened, they'll drop a handful of goodies alongside a few drugs and disappear, leaving transport down to the crew themselves.
Think like a couple Clock-18s and mags on a small bed of weed and various pills.

While I mention it, perhaps anyone involved in a gang gets Assistant-level access added to their cards? I like the idea that they've all found out how to, at the very least, move illegal things through maintenance halls.
I'd like to bring this thread back on track a bit. There are some good ideas that people posted for how to make changes to gang, but this thread was more specifically about suggestions for items that gangs could want to use in the round. Less about balance issues and other things which definitely will be taken into account when it gets to that stage.

Certainly some regular syndicate items could be used, which gangs can be rewarded with, but i also wanted more thematic items for gang. Like how aft suggested, certain reskins of traitor items with maybe slightly different stats.

That's not to say that I'd only want them to be used for gang mode and nothing else. But I think that gangs would benefit from getting items that aesthetically fit with the game mode.
I want a bunch of bottles I can put on my fingers and say "(name of gang), come out to plaaaaaaaaay" as a gang trinket so I can attract the attention of rival gangs.
A lead pipe that does significant brute damage, but also some toxin damage - lead ain't fun to play with!

Shiv - does lots of brute damage with a high chance to cause bleeding, and it fits in your pocket! Nifty!

Glock - A handgun. Not a revolver, but it is chambered in .22 ammunition, so you can get more bullets from a hacked fabricator.

Pimpin' Ride - A reskinned car that has sweet trims, underglow, blastin' music, and is generally a pimped up hot rod. Mostly for looks and showing off, though. Also comes with a trunk and locking mechanism - handy!

Tattoo gun - lets you tattoo your gang tag onto people. Looks like that needle hasn't been cleaned, though...

Contra-bag - a special backpack/satchel/duffelbag that completely blocks contraband scanners from being set off by its contents. Probably best suited as a traitor item but w/e.
Information 

(08-29-2019, 01:07 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I think it would be neat if individual gangs had unique abilities and items. For instance, a gang called "The Mutants" that got genetics powers. Give people reason a solid reason to join one gang over another

I saw this idea and immediately went "yes this is gold."

It could tie in with players naming their own gang too to select their potential loadouts. And outfits
Gang uniforms should be stuck to gang members. Gosh the amount of A-Helps admins must get on gang rounds when random murders are commonplace must be cray cray
Bump. I've a chunk of free time this weekend, but not making any promises. I'm focusing solely on melee weaponry (before moving onto ranged, utility) for my sanity. Suggest things below, but keep in mind of its function/balance, and how it's acquired (can it be made? Bought? Or earned though gang points?)
Knuckledusters, tiger claws and various gloved implements that increase hand to hand combat is on the top of my agenda
(09-27-2019, 11:16 AM)Sundance Wrote: Bump. I've a chunk of free time this weekend, but not making any promises. I'm focusing solely on melee weaponry (before moving onto ranged, utility) for my sanity. Suggest things below, but keep in mind of its function/balance, and how it's acquired (can it be made? Bought? Or earned though gang points?)
Knuckledusters, tiger claws and various gloved implements that increase hand to hand combat is on the top of my agenda

Well this has aged like milk. IRL caught up with me, but again I'm still intending on working on these. I've harebrained a list of melee weaponry and their respective properties, peeps feel free to suggest potential weaponry:

Knuckleduster [Increases Brute upon punch, glove slot]
Tigerclaw [Inflicts Bleed upon punch, glove slot]
Sledgehammer [Inflicts "dazed" status upon critical hit, no bleed but high brute]
Chainlock [Normal damage, has reach of 1 tile]
Switchblade [Makes a "swish" sounds when opened]
Skiv [Weak damage/bleed, but can be hidden á la derringer/emote code]
Tomahawk [Normal damage/bleed, can be thrown to "daze" á la weak version of butcher knife]
Machete [Normal damage/bleed, removes limb upon critical hit]
Leadpipe [Functions similar to a crowbar (can pry) but has higher damage]
Shuriken [Technically ranged - when thrown will be embedded in target á la darts but not as lethal]

I'll reiterate that some of these could be purchasable via trader/found in loot/z-level shenanigans as they're not as strong as traitor weaponry at all and fall in line more with weapons made or found on station, such as the flamethrower and baseball bat. This is because they're designed with the numbers in mind, multiple targets will be wielding these.

On topic, I could really do with some ideas for craftable melee weapons, give some ideas. Think items that available to that specific department, such as mining or botany. If there's any appetite for this, i'll flesh it out a bit more but this is kind of on the maybe pile:

Examples:
Overcharged Powerhammer [Crafted by attaching wires + battery to Powerhammer. Works similar to a Stun Gloves, one time stun but also increases damage overall]
Overcharged Concussive Gauntlets [Similar recipe to Stun gloves, but will launch targets backwards upon punching before running out - has RND amount of uses]
Fire Gauntlet [Glove slot, welding pipes to welders + any glove + fuel tank. Inflicts burn upon punching]
Plasma Gauntlet [Same as above, but with a plasma tank. Inflicts burn and plasma poisoning upon punch and will set the target on fire. V. Nasty]