Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make sectrons care about shamblers
Right now, securitrons will happily sit back and relax as a shambling abomination murders its way through the crew, but if anyone picks up a flamethrower to defend themselves they're immediately stunned, cuffed, and then eaten.  I'd suggest putting shamblers at a contraband level one above flamethrowers, so the securitrons aren't actively aiding what's already one of the most dangerous antagonists.  If NT can program them to recognize wizards, they should be able to recognize a shambler IMO.
Even though it probably will do nothing to a shambler, it at least won't do anything to people trying to not die.

+1
There is indeed code that makes bots go after shamblers, as well as other mutants. GuardBuddies have it, and it's the reason people make jokes about diplomats getting chased by Harner and co. Sec scanners have it too, and they assign it a much higher threat level (8 vs. 5). Speaking of scanners, they have different threat levels for different races, so it's definitely possible to have Beepsky dislike fishpeople and frogs but hate shamblers more.

The way it currently works, being a shambler or other mutant race is more an aggravating factor. Beepsky won't bat an eye at a shambler attacking the Captain, because it assigns the shambler a threat level of 2, but if said shambler then picked up said cap's egun (threat level: 4), the shambler's rating would bump up to 6, and then it would act.

With that relevant info out of the way, I'll go ahead and say I agree. While Beepsky can go after a shambler in circumstances similar to as described, and one can have a Sec Officer disable checking for firearms permits to prevent the scenario OP's talking about, it's not enough. As OP says, it definitely is frustrating when Beepsky batons the guy setting the shambler on fire rather the shambler, and while I do also find it funny, playing impromptu Beepsky tag while trying to fight back against a horrific monster trying to eat you isn't particularly fun. (And besides, there's better ways to make the securitrons so narrow-minded and lawful stupid.) Shamblers should be rated higher, at least 5 as suggseted, maybe 8 like the scanners.
Does threat level affect Beepsky's targeting? Like, do they just pick the first threat they notice or will they change targets if they see a bigger threat?
It's the former, picking the first threat they notice, yes. As they should, they'll still chase any other threats they notice after they've finished arresting someone, but they won't pursue any bigger threats in the meantime. So in OP's scenario, Beepsky might chase the flamer guy first, then go after the shambler when the flamer guy's in cuffs, but they won't suddenly stop chasing them to pursue the shambler.

It'd be nice if they did, but I imagine it'd involve a more extensive rework of their targeting code or at least more than just adding a line or two of code for a higher shambler rating.