Vextrom's Mentor Application
Usual character name: Vivian Weaver / Svetlana Dostoevskaya
BYOND username: Vextrom1
Recommended by (if applicable): Tewf, Czarbomba
Goon servers you play: Goon (non-RP)

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):

I’ve been playing on Goonstation for a couple of years now, coming up on three, and I can still remember the trouble I had when I was just starting. I was one of those new players that ended up beating themselves to death with the first object they picked up, partially due to the amusement of it and the other part due to not knowing any better. Despite initial difficulties, I persisted and as soon as I realized how mentorhelp worked I ended up using it all the time. I credit a lot of my game knowledge to my rampant use of mentorhelp. Honestly, I still use it occasionally, though my questions are a lot more obscure and often go unanswered. Ha.

I’m at a point where I want to give back to this community that has given me years of entertainment as well as some solid friendships. I often find myself sitting down with new players, whenever I see them, and trying to help them work through the initial difficulties of the interface. While taking the time to do that now and then has been satisfying, I feel I could be more effective if I were able to answer mentorhelp questions.

As far as my game knowledge goes, I’ve dabbled in just about everything. I would say I’m strongest in my knowledge of chemistry. I took the time to figure just about every secret chem, so I’ll let that speak for itself. Furthermore, I’m competent in engineering and have taught many players the art of creating a hellburn. Plus, I have a pretty good understanding of the pipe layouts of most maps, and I can help players diagnose why the engine might be losing power. I’m a frequent security player and I’ve been deemed worthy of the red beret, so if there are any questions about sec procedures I can help guide them to a solution that’s best for the server’s playerbase. I also like to go codediving in the 2016 release, so I know some obscure game mechanics. For instance, did you know when you collect urine from a puddle using a beaker, there’s a 20% chance that the puddle disappears? It is not dependent on the amount of water you drank at all. I could go on, but the gist is that I know a few departments well, and I know a fair bit about general mechanics.

Essentially, I’d love for this to be another avenue to give back to the community. Not only that, but it’s an opportunity to shape how new players approach the game. I’d like to think I’d have a positive effect on the players that are just starting with Space Station 13 and help convince them to be part of our community.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): Still no banned medal, so nope!
Vivian Weaver was a very recognisable and helpful name in my early days of playing on Goon, and continues to be just as helpful now. Though I haven't had many opportunities to play with Vex when they're HoS, the few times I have they've shown incredible patience and exactly the attitude that I think is befitting of a mentor. Absolutely a +1
Vextrom is a very fun and nice and helpful player and they'd make a great mentor!
Maybe giving +1 to any name I find familiar I can't think of anything bad for isn't the best way to go, but my memory on people ain't all that great in the first place.

Anywho, +1. Good probably.
Vex is extremely knowledgable and always goes out of their way to teach new players when it's apparent. The other night I was playing late a night with a random name. A random sec off ran up to us and asked "How do I use my weapons?" At that point, Vex asked "First time playing and you picked sec?" They then proceeded to give them a rundown on how to control their character, and what to do as a sec player. +1 from Ants.
I've seen them teaching new players how to play in-game a few times, very fun player, exhibits the behavior that is expected from a mentor, absolutely yes from me.
Vex is amazing it would silly to not give purple +2
Vivian is good
They should have a purple name
I give them plus one
Absolutely, Vex is extremely helpful and would continue to do a fantastic job, just now at longer range.
Yeah Vex is great and already spends a lot of time mentoring in everything but name only, give purple
I'd just assumed vex already had mentor, definite +1 from me