Awkward Dryad

BYOND username:
AwkwardDryad

Recommended by (if applicable):
OMJenkins, SimianC

Goon servers you play:
Goon #2 (Non-RP)

Reason for application + game experience:

I have been on goon pretty much non-stop for over a year now. I absolutely love the community and teaching new players is easily one of my favourite things to do on the server. I’ve pretty much mastered every aspect of every role and I’m always glad to explain what I’m doing to those that ask (unless I miss your chat messages (sowwy)).

For a stretch of about four or five months I streamed goonstation on twitch which was a very fun experience. Both new players and existing players would pop in from time to time and we’d all openly answer gameplay questions in chat. Though, I feel the most impressive part was that over the course of my streaming time, I never once had any issues with stream sniping or metagaming (both among myself specifically and among the viewers).

Just today, I was running a potion seller gimmick during a Rev round and a janitor walks by the kitchen and starts bashing the windows in. Thinking they’re a rev trying to kill me (I was the HOP at the time), I was ready to chuck a CLF3 bottle at them if they started attacking me. I asked a few questions and it turned out they were actually just a bit new to the game and didn’t know there were other ways into the room if you don’t have access. So, I ended up giving them a quick tutorial on door hacking and we continued the round.

P.S. they were in fact a rev and a mob robusted the shit out of me

I’m not comfortable posting something containing more self-promotion than I already have, but I know I’m not perfect, I tend to tunnel vision a lot and I’ll sometimes get a bit aggressive when I feel people are ruining the experience of the game for people, but, really, I just want to help with demystifying the more obscure things and a big AF mentorhelp would be much nicer to respond to as opposed to a single message lost in the sea of [145.9] green.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
Temporary Synthetic Ban for unscrewing the nuke as a ghost drone
Absolutely +1, one of the most pleasant players I've ever met and is incredibly knowledgable about the game, more than anyone else I know. Would make a fantastic mentor.
+1 Dryad is a nice and helpful person who would do well as a mentor.
Dryad is an incredibly knowledgeable player with a strong desire to help people, she would make a great asset to the Mentor Team. She has personally taught myself and several others the mysterious dark art of Pathology. Chalk up another +1 from me
Yes, very good. Huge nerd. About time.
Dryad is always nice to play with and super chill. Knowledgeable and fun as well.

Emphatic yes from me.
+1 from me!
300 words is an application requirement. Please edit your post or make a new thread to fulfill that requirement. I will be locking this thread until then.

edit: Reopened!
i'd list a detailed recommendation but i don't even think there's a need to. this is unanimous. dryad's going to be a tremendous boon to our community- she's as good as it gets.
Very awkward, very dryad. +1

A fun and interesting person to play with, and will certainly be helpful to newcomers.
dryad's good and smart, fun to be around, and very much not a jerk. i think shed be super great as a mentor
Dryad is a knowledgeable and generally helpful player, but I'm concerned about how they deal with players when things don't go their way. For instance, there was a round where a detective was arresting a clown for doorhacking. Dryad got in an altercation with the detective that got out of control. Dryad ended up cloning the detective, and so my main issue is how Dryad reacted in OOC and Discord afterwards. They talked a bunch about hating sec players who arrest people for hacking, and described those sec players as griefing. They were very insistent about sec players being in the wrong and very rude to boot. In this particular instance, the detective was a new player who was just trying to do their job.

I think it'd be good if I saw Dryad being more understanding of other players' playstyles and how they might view the game. This would mean being more empathetic to other players' experiences, and kinder when communicating. It's important to treat new players or players that don't seem to grasp the tone of the game with understanding, especially so if you're a mentor. Mentors should welcome people to the game and help them adjust to the server culture and atmosphere. 

The incident mentioned is very recent and I'd like to see a longer track record of helpfulness uninterrupted by ones like above. So it's a no from me.
(08-18-2019, 02:10 PM)Flourish Wrote: Dryad is a knowledgeable and generally helpful player, but I'm concerned about how they deal with players when things don't go their way. For instance, there was a round where a detective was arresting a clown for doorhacking. Dryad got in an altercation with the detective that got out of control. Dryad ended up cloning the detective, and so my main issue is how Dryad reacted in OOC and Discord afterwards. They talked a bunch about hating sec players who arrest people for hacking, and described those sec players as griefing. They were very insistent about sec players being in the wrong and very rude to boot. In this particular instance, the detective was a new player who was just trying to do their job.

I think it'd be good if I saw Dryad being more understanding of other players' playstyles and how they might view the game. This would mean being more empathetic to other players' experiences, and kinder when communicating. It's important to treat new players or players that don't seem to grasp the tone of the game with understanding, especially so if you're a mentor. Mentors should welcome people to the game and help them adjust to the server culture and atmosphere. 

The incident mentioned is very recent and I'd like to see a longer track record of helpfulness uninterrupted by ones like above. So it's a no from me.
This was a one off, overwhelmingly shitty day for me. I had little to no sleep, my family just notified me they were kicking me out for being "unnatural". As for the discord discussion, we talked extensively on this subject and I was opened up to another side of things. But, for context, this was a few rounds after security was seen chopping people's legs off randomly and people were being swarmed with actual griefers and overzealous sec players who would just wordlessly murder or permabrig anyone who violated a minor space law. I jumped the gun on the detective, thinking they were specifically trying to be an ass and cloned them after I realized I made a huge mistake and I've been making effort to empathize with the new sec players ever since then.

Long story short, I respect your -1, but I don't feel like I should be judged in eligibility solely on a single bad day
(08-18-2019, 02:10 PM)Flourish Wrote: Dryad is a knowledgeable and generally helpful player, but I'm concerned about how they deal with players when things don't go their way. For instance, there was a round where a detective was arresting a clown for doorhacking. Dryad got in an altercation with the detective that got out of control. Dryad ended up cloning the detective, and so my main issue is how Dryad reacted in OOC and Discord afterwards. They talked a bunch about hating sec players who arrest people for hacking, and described those sec players as griefing. They were very insistent about sec players being in the wrong and very rude to boot. In this particular instance, the detective was a new player who was just trying to do their job.

I once played under an alias where it was virtually impossible for me to be identified as OMJ when I was curious about path. Dryad happened to be there and spent ~20 minutes teaching me the ins and outs of path, literally everything that I could've known, as well as detailed descriptions of what does what and why and how. I've never once seen a player do that in game. It was the most above and beyond display of effort I've seen from anyone trying to be helpful in game.

On top of that, she was mega kind and sent me her own path google doc which was just straight up far better than the wiki. She's a creative all around talent who, in my opinion, embodies everything excellent about Goon. She knows an incomprehensible amount of stuff in game and could answer just about anything. That's an isolated incident- as is mine. Someone who isn't becoming of a mentor wouldn't have done that.

Mind you, this was around half a year ago. This wasn't recent lip service. It was the actions of someone who genuinely cared about another player both understanding the complicated framework of the spaceman game and enjoying it. She never made me feel stupid for not understanding anything-she was slow, haphazard, and detailed. And welcoming. Especially welcoming. Path is really tough to understand but she made it so approachable. I basically play only sec so a lot of stuff in SS13 feels brand new to me, and she has every ounce of the qualities you described as people needing.

Usually when people explain shit in SS13, it's a "watch me do it how I normally do it and try to figure it out yourself". Not Dryad. Literally every single step was laid out on top of additional documentation. I was straight up flabbergasted by her character. She is as good as it gets. Perhaps the maturity could be improved; but I've been here since the Obama administration and I still have my issues post round OOC at times. Stuff like that happens when you're emotionally invested.

On top of that, she's stellar in the community. Consistent streamer-which doesn't really like, prove anything except how much she cares. She'd be a sensational Goon ambassador even- if I had to, say, have a players only united nations for all SS13 servers, Dryad's 100% a delegate and I'm not sure who the other person would be.

I would give up my mentor status for her to be one- she is top notch, as good as it gets, and will only continue to grow maturity wise once she gets the purple. 

I've straight up never written a post this long before lol, especially not as a recommendation. Legit one of the best people who's ever played Goon, period
(08-18-2019, 04:14 PM)OMJ Wrote:

I once played under an alias where it was virtually impossible for me to be identified as OMJ when I was curious about path. Dryad happened to be there and spent ~20 minutes teaching me the ins and outs of path, literally everything that I could've known, as well as detailed descriptions of what does what and why and how. I've never once seen a player do that in game. It was the most above and beyond display of effort I've seen from anyone trying to be helpful in game.

On top of that, she was mega kind and sent me her own path google doc which was just straight up far better than the wiki. She's a creative all around talent who, in my opinion, embodies everything excellent about Goon. She knows an incomprehensible amount of stuff in game and could answer just about anything. That's an isolated incident- as is mine. Someone who isn't becoming of a mentor wouldn't have done that.

Mind you, this was around half a year ago. This wasn't recent lip service. It was the actions of someone who genuinely cared about another player both understanding the complicated framework of the spaceman game and enjoying it. She never made me feel stupid for not understanding anything-she was slow, haphazard, and detailed. And welcoming. Especially welcoming. Path is really tough to understand but she made it so approachable. I basically play only sec so a lot of stuff in SS13 feels brand new to me, and she has every ounce of the qualities you described as people needing.

Usually when people explain shit in SS13, it's a "watch me do it how I normally do it and try to figure it out yourself". Not Dryad. Literally every single step was laid out on top of additional documentation. I was straight up flabbergasted by her character. She is as good as it gets. Perhaps the maturity could be improved; but I've been here since the Obama administration and I still have my issues post round OOC at times. Stuff like that happens when you're emotionally invested.

On top of that, she's stellar in the community. Consistent streamer-which doesn't really like, prove anything except how much she cares. She'd be a sensational Goon ambassador even- if I had to, say, have a players only united nations for all SS13 servers, Dryad's 100% a delegate and I'm not sure who the other person would be.

I would give up my mentor status for her to be one- she is top notch, as good as it gets, and will only continue to grow maturity wise once she gets the purple. 

I've straight up never written a post this long before lol, especially not as a recommendation. Legit one of the best people who's ever played Goon, period
Thank you so much. I haven't been as active as I used to be due to personal reasons and honestly I've just started playing the game for fun again after a long stretch of playing it just to bury myself in something. The Ssethtide really turned me off of the community for a while because everything felt so hostile and I guess some of that hostility rubbed off on me after extended exposure and Flourish made me realize that. I felt so guilty I was considering removing the application because I felt like I wasn't worthy of it anymore, but bringing me back to that night of relaxing and teaching pathology also brought me back to the atmosphere I love about goon. And I'd really like to be part of that atmosphere, especially now that so many people are joining consistently. I don't want to be part of something that causes the community to grow toxic.