Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brobocop needs some love
Brobocop, the lovechild of brobot and a secborg is an interesting take on a borg module, one that I have always approved of as I felt secborgs could be implemented into the game if you just get the balance and feel of it down. I feel Brobocop module succeeds in that regard, but unfortunately fails to live up to its role as security assistance.

There are a few issues I have with it, I've put them in order of merit:

1. Brobocop needs security channel
This used to be a real stickler at the start as peeps weren't too sure if it was ok to have a cyborg access a secure channel. But now the AI can do it and there's been minimal issues with it, so why the hell not.
The Brobocop can't actually function as an assistance to security in the slightest if it can't hear what's going on, and this really cripples any functionality and of all the suggestions, this the one that stands out the most.

The fix: There may be some coding jankyness when adding another radio channel to the borg based on its module. Ideally, this is what I would like to see. Alternatively, an easier option is a resprited station bounced radio that is linked to security is another good option. If I know how tools are coded, enabling the mic/radio and putting it back into your storage will still allow the borg to hear/speak.

2. Security vision needs to be the starting upgrade, rather than Self-Repair
Self repair is pretty good module, but it's something that can be added in mid-late game rather than starting with one. The Secvision is more important because it will allow the Brobocop to see who's who. 

The Fix: Sec vision upgrade... that's it. I'm not sure of the coding issues that surround implementing this, coder please yell at me if this is something that's headachy.

3. Replace the cardboard tube with a WiffleBat.
My sprite for the wifflebat is somewhere on the forums (yell if you can't find it). Of all the modules, Brobocop is the least deadly. This is good btw, as it there needs to be a staunch limit when you have such a unit working with security. However the cardboard tube, although comedic, is functionally useless. 

The Fix: The Wifflebat works as a 0 damage "weapon" as it's made of foam. It does have two properties that would make it useful. Firstly would be the disarm ability, which when swiped will roll a chance of disarming a target. Secondly it retains to functions of a baseball bat in that it can reflect items thrown at the user.

4. Brobocop requires an Vape.
It needs be able to smoke just like its fellow fleshy brother in arms. 

The Fix: The vape is already in the game, so this could be an easy add. The vape is infinite, with a cool down. The vape could reduce stun time for the borg, and could potentially be used while stunned as a counter. 

5. Brobocop could do with a cuff dispenser
This would be quite useful if you're roleplaying Officer Smithy and Officer URL duo. Fleshling downs target, brobocop dispenses cuffs for officer - as cuffs are the kind of thing that need to be done immediately, having them on hand is great.

The Fix: The cuff dispenser works exactly how it says on the tin. Click dispenser in-hand = shits cuffs. 

A useful coding addition here could be that if the auto *gives to a target, so if you're beside Officer Smithy you automatically hand it to them rather than shitting it on the floor. If there's no target, then you just let loose onto the ground.
If a borg hits a human with a 0 damage item, does it break law 1?
Do they break any laws when smacking a player with a cardboard tube?
The answer is no.
From a design standpoint, I think that Goonstation's Brobocop is the perfect implementation of the SecBorg concept: Able to fulfill it's purpose of serving as a valuable asset to Security, without being at odds with the Asimov lawset. As you had mentioned, there is little incentive for Security to actually work with a Brobocop, but the changes you listed would go a long way into helping them realize their potential as a support-role for Security. Brobocops already have access to most of the equipment for conducting investigations and surveillance (forensic scanner, camera monitor, and tape recorder), and cyborgs were recently(?) given access to the ticketing program on their PDA. 

(08-13-2019, 05:17 AM)Sundance Wrote: There are a few issues I have with it, I've put them in order of merit:

1. Brobocop needs security channel

YES. Departmental channels have been on the cyborg wishlist ever since the AI was granted access to them. Aside from machine translator implants, humans and cyborgs belonging to the same department lack a convenient way to communicate and coordinate with one another. Due to module swapping,I'm not sure if tying channel access to the module is the right way to go about it, but at the same time I don't think borgs want to hear radio chatter from every department. Perhaps a way to toggle active channels you're listening to via the Radio panel?

Quote:2. Security vision needs to be the starting upgrade, rather than Self-Repair

Agreed, docking stations already allow fast repair. The most problematic injury for cyborgs is losing their limbs, which the self-repair module doesn't fix, making it somewhat useless. Tangentially related to Sundance's suggestion: Allow the Securitron-5000 to set people to arrest; In it's current state, the Securitron can only set people to incarcerated, paroled, and released. Giving cyborgs (and humans) a way to set people to arrest in the field and without having to sit at computer to open Secmate would be very useful.

Quote:3. Replace the cardboard tube with a WiffleBat.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this to be honest. I might come back to this later after giving it some more thought. 

Quote:4. Brobocop requires an Vape. 

Cyborgs can smoke actually, they even set off fire alarms and ignite plasma! You need to find a cigarette and light it with your zippo, then insert it into a docking station and equip it. Though you need to be quick as the lit cigarette will ignite the welding fuel inside the dock. 

Quote:5. Brobocop could do with a cuff dispenser

I like this idea, it encourages Security Officers and Brobocops to work together as partners.

Another change I'd like to see is adding coffee and donuts to the Brobocop's food synth, two incredibly useful consumables for Sec Officers. The idea of a Sec Officer's cyborg partner brewing up a cup of joe and some donuts during a stake out is damn cool.

A sound synth option for "Halt!" would be pretty entertaining as well
Quote:..Due to module swapping,I'm not sure if tying channel access to the module is the right way to go about it, but at the same time I don't think borgs want to hear radio chatter from every department. Perhaps a way to toggle active channels you're listening to via the Radio panel?
I don't see an issue with the module swapping aspect. So you swap your module and that switches your channel..that's about all there is to it. My concern was mainly from the coding aspect of it as it hasn't been done before (cyborg code was/is meant to be whack). 

Honestly the panacea for this would be to give cyborgs a multifrequency headset in which it can tune in manually to whatever channel it likes.  

Quote:Cyborgs can smoke actually, they even set off fire alarms and ignite plasma! You need to find a cigarette and light it with your zippo, then insert it into a docking station and equip it. Though you need to be quick as the lit cigarette will ignite the welding fuel inside the dock.

I'm familiar with this. But I do feel, bearing in mind what you said, this is the safer option here. Also vape being electrical and all, just fits the theme.

Coffee and donuts in the food synth is also a good idea.
If only they could transform into a segway
All versions of secborgs suck really hard and I’m vehemently against giving borgs stunning weapons/cuffs. A cuff dispenser/sec tron 5000 would be chill tho
After a brief walk from Mordent's post on his quickie cyborg patch to the thread that inspired it, I found the wiffle bat sprite.
[Image: dvPoBzX.png]
I think it's good time to ask why it's green.

As for the ideas presented, I think they're all solid. I've definitely wanted SecHUD vision and access to the Sec channel the last times I played Brobocop.

I really dig giving them the vape for some reason. The idea of a borg vaping to make a rampager or angry mob cough and drop their weapon(s) is pretty hilarious and honestly kinda SS13-ey. It's bit like throwing the basketball to disarm people. I am concerned how as to how they refill it though. Last time I played, borgs can't use the vending machines, so they can't get the vape refill cartridges or cigs on their own, leaving the odd hobowine as their nicotine source (or a friendly meatbag, of course). One solution: an "infinite use" vape (i.e. object that simply spawns a nicotine cloud, without interacting with any reagent code) Another: just have a regular vape and an extra-large (200?) vape cartridge.
Quote:I think it's good time to ask why it's green.
Oh yeah, wifflebats are stereotypically yellow in colour, but as the baseball bat was already this hue, I decided it would be best to keep it a neon green which I hoped would distinguish it from the latter.

I should reiterate that the wifflebat, by design is a zero damage AND zero stun weapon. It simply rolls a chance for disarm the target, and would have a mediocre disarm rate at that. The aim, balance wise - would be more of a desperate self defense option designed to help fellow officers (swing at saber wielding maniac who caved in officer so that it might just buy you both time) while the vape can be used as a janky self defense option if you are the target.

Also infinite use vape would be the way to go here, with a cooldown ("the coils are still too hot, wait a moment!"). Yes I vape.