Poll: Polls increase engagement; coffee or tea at breakfast time?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
coffee
30.77%
16 30.77%
tea
30.77%
16 30.77%
fuck you
38.46%
20 38.46%
Total 52 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Change Rev Draw Mechanic
I think one of the least satisfying parts of rev is the draw mechanic. I feel like it often cuts off the game right when it's getting good, and the randomness factor feels, in my experience, pretty bad.

so I guess, if you agree, lets discuss potential changes here

overall I think the draw mechanic is necessary so long as the current rev format is in play, but I think we could do better about how it's handled.

my suggestion is that, instead of random, the nuclear blast should have a 7 minute timer engage at minute 43. This timer should be global and visible in the status screen

every single head or rev head death will reset the timer back to 7 minutes.

I could also see maybe the deaths of security officers and converted revolutionaries extending the timer by 30s, but I fear that may be abuseable.

This means that, so long as the conflict isn't stagnating, the round will continue to press forward, and if it is stagnating then at most we'll only have to wait 7 minutes for it to be over.
Instead of a random gib blast, perhaps have a team from deadchat get requested by NT to cleanse the station, since they've been over-run by revolutionaries and they'd need a clean slate anyway. This would still represent a draw, as everybody is being booted, not just one or the other. It also helps with putting back all the poor sops that get perma'd cause people decide to rev/derev them with bleed weapons or spacing, and they end up dyin.

Or have NT/Syndicate "narrow" down coordinates of the remaining heads and.. heads, projecting it to PDAs or however else it could be implemented? I'm not really a fan of the gibwave, personally. It takes a while, and it's usually cause its one or two players choosing to hide in a locker over doing anything, and everybody else just has to watch and be salty in deadchat.

The 7 minute plan is also a solid way of doing it, i'm just honestly expecting that players would still hide regardless, having seen several rounds of one person holding up the rest of the server, etc. Like, that head would think gibbing everybody is a victory for him, i guess. Either way, it definitely needs a change and I'd be happy with any of the ones above.

Anyway, arise from the dead thread, etc etc. necronomicon post
(10-14-2021, 02:51 PM)MomoBerry Wrote: Instead of a random gib blast, perhaps have a team from deadchat get requested by NT to cleanse the station, since they've been over-run by revolutionaries and they'd need a clean slate anyway. This would still represent a draw, as everybody is being booted, not just one or the other. It also helps with putting back all the poor sops that get perma'd cause people decide to rev/derev them with bleed weapons or spacing, and they end up dyin.

I think the first idea is a really good one. The Death Team shouldn't be Nanotrasen though, it should be an outside force which is very clearly an antag to discourage favouritism. I also think the teams objective shouldn't just be kill everyone, that'll lead to some cheap wins for either the revs or heads and much salt. Perhaps the team could all start with standard assault nukie loadout, and have to plant a nuke with a shortened timer. If the nuke goes off then its a death team win. Or maybe it's a load of wizards with predetermined spells who have to complete a ritual. Or maybe it's wrestlemania trying to suplex the station (as in the physical structure). It could be a good idea for both a head rev and a head of station be needed to stop the team to drag out hiders. Either way it'll inject some action into the round for both the alive and dead players.
after minute 30 force heads and headrevs to wear a fatsuit so they are too fat to fit in lockers, pods, crates, or disposals chutes. Also, give them a red syndie hat for revheads and a blue NT hat for heads.

fatsuit gives good armor but poor space resistance.
I'm more in favor of the tracker idea. I think the most interesting part of rev is generally within the first 30 minutes so I'm not a fan of potentially belaboring the round past 1 hour. At some point you have to just let the team that controls most of the station and crew do the thing and win.

So I'd say teleport syndicate/NT head trackers next to all living heads simultaneously at some point 35-45 minutes in. These trackers would lock on to a random living head from the opposing team and then re-lock on a new head when their target dies, so no more hiding. The team with more heads alive would get more trackers for playing better, trackers encourage confrontation, and that forced confrontation will favor the strongest team.

Other servers sometimes use death squads, but as an ending to a round I don't think it's very satisfying. Sure, it gives ghosts something to do, but you could accomplish the same thing by just helping the round end earlier.
I think an interesting idea would be for rev rounds to have a control objective.

Maybe 20-30 minutes in (enough time for revs/crew to fight it out for some time), make it so that the crew or revs have to maintain control of the bridge for a specific amount of time. This could help do a few things :
1) focus rev attention to a singular spot, which hopefully discourages rev apathy as it gives global direction
2) encourage more entrenchment and raiding gameplay. Some of the best moments in rev are when they gather to break in to security, and security desperately holding them off. (finally, proper use of NARCS and crowd dispersals!)
3) discourage hide and seek from dragging on. Many times the last head/headrev are too stubborn to die and hide in lockers/pods, but are not able to re-win the situation.
4) make the end game more fun and action packed, with both sides fighting to control a place.

I suppose any location could work, but having it be the bridge/security feels more iconic and fitting as a rev-overthrows-command scenario.
My only problem with the draw mechanic is that it takes forever to trigger sometimes.
I like the control the bridge to win idea but I fear that is going to cause rounds to end in TTVs way more, all of the opposing team in a small area you know.
We could ban TTVs in rev.
(10-15-2021, 02:25 AM)THISISANICEGAME Wrote: I like the control the bridge to win idea but I fear that is going to cause rounds to end in TTVs way more, all of the opposing team in a small area you know.

You say that like it's a problem.

I could imagine the bridge control thing being something that triggers at that 40 minute marker point, but as an extra win condition. Revs have to have more people on the bridge than NT, and a counter goes down. When it hits zero, Revs win. If there more loyal NT on it than Revs, the timer stops.

Alternatively, let ghosts drop bombs on the station. Head hiding in a locker? Let the spectators give them some incentive to keep moving
Spawn S.W.O.R.D.

Repeatedly.
Re: deathsquad and similar ideas, switching the gamemodes from this team vs this team to team vs team vs team seems like itll feel weird and sloppy in practice. Personally I feel as if the easiest and overall one of the strongest ideas is the one initially suggested, its simple and it should work to get people going again.
I think at 40 min mark or something station should have some kind of blood tracker to track those stinky closet hiders. ID trackers are quite awful.
If you want to force combat there's two ways to do it, either force proximity or start giving out weapons.

So how about we consider triggering the supply drop event an/or missile attacks on the station? Both of them are easily explained in terms of lore and could be handled relatively simply rather than adding entirely new mechanics to the game.
Forced loot box drops of weapons might be cool too