SimianC HoS Application
Usual character name: Hubcap Willie, CUTIE, Bobson Dugnutt (Formerly)
BYOND username: SimianC
Recommended by (if applicable): Flourish, Flaborized
Goon servers you play: Goon 2

Reason for application: Security teams lacking a Head of Security tend to lack direction and cohesion, which, at least in my opinion, are the main draws to playing Security officer; working together with other players as a team to meet a common goal. Security has the ability make or break a round, this is particularly important to keep mind with newer players dipping their toes into Security roles and picking up bad habits. 

Security experience: Although I have taken a brief hiatus from Security Officer in favor of other roles, I find that my play-style as the station's AI lends fairly well to Security and keeps me in close contact with the Security team in helping them in identify threats, areas of concern, and people in need of help. I personally consider the AI to be quite similar to Security officer in that they both require discretion, good communication skills, and the ability to act in a manner that is fair to everyone; A bad AI can be just as detrimental to a round as bad Security can. This isn't to say that I have no experience playing Security officer, I have taken down my fair share of traitors, wizards, changelings, and other intergalactic baddies.

Security isn't about winning or catching all the bad guys, it's about fun: Having fun and making sure everyone is having fun as well. It's important to realize that behind every crewmember is a person with a keyboard, that their enjoyment is just as important as everyone else's, antagonist or not. If I catch a traitor in the act relatively early in the round, provided they haven't killed anyone, in all probability I'll just confiscate their gear, stick it in the contraband locker which I might "forget" to lock, and keep an eye on them a bit. On the contrary, if someone is going out of their way to murder the crew or destroy large portions of the station, I'm going to try my damnedest to put a stop to it. Brigging should still be employed when handling serious law breakers, but tickets, fines, scolding, and confiscation of contraband/tools/etc. are \effective for dealing with minor offenses.  Personally, I avoid executing antagonists for the because I don't like to take players out of a round, but I make exceptions for particularly dangerous individuals, like changelings. I think that putting less emphasis on being a robust officer that captures all criminals and more on being a fun player that acts fairly and helps other with their problems is an important step in persuading players that might be too intimidated to play Security to give it a chance.

I can hold my own in combat, but I don't consider myself to be particularly robust, my strengths lie more in forensics, investigation, and communicating with others. I consider myself quite handy with a forensic scanner, even little things like glove fibers offer useful information and potential leads, including the suspect's job, where they might have been, and what you might be up against. It's important to keep in touch with your Security team and to check in regularly, keeping them up to date with any new information you might have and updating them with your activities, as well as listening to them and taking their input into consideration. When communicating with other crew members, I try to tell them what I'm doing and why I'm doing it, rather than stunning them and spiriting them away to Security with no explanation; This makes people respond more positively to security and creates the possibility for fun interactions that stick with players. 

Answer two or more of the following:
What advice would you give to other sec players?
In my opinion, there are two things that separate great Security Officers from good Security officers: Communication and Forensics. The most powerful tool in the Security officer's arsenal is not the baton or taser, but the forensic scanner. Good investigation skills offer strong leads in finding the culprit, but also allow you to turn the tables on them; I find that many antagonists will operate under the impression that Security isn't onto them and that they have the element of surprise. Thinking more critically about your surroundings and keeping forensics in mind makes rounds play out more like a mystery to be solved, which I would argue is more enjoyable than wandering around hoping to find a lead. A taser is worthless if you don't know who to point it at. 
Communicating with your fellow officers makes you a stronger team, increases your chances of survival, and increases the overall enjoyment of the Security role. In order for people to trust Security more, it's important to communicate with other crewmembers and tell them why they are being arrested, why you suspect them, and what kind of punishment (if any) they can expect; No one likes to be stunned and cuffed without so much as a single word. Small interactions, like acting as first-responder and healing the wounded and rescuing downed crewmembers, or even giving lost crewmembers directions go a long way.
This is more directed towards new players that are thinking about trying Security: It's okay to mess up. We've all accidentally let a traitor escape or have been absorbed by a changeling, it happens to everyone eventually. It's best to learn from your mistakes and try to improve. At the end of the day, Security is about having fun, not being Superman. 

What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one):
Several months ago, I joined a round on Cogmap1 as a Clown named Honkus the Damned, where I donned a red lawyer suit and set out on collecting the crew's shoes for my Dark Master. Security took notice of my sole collecting, but didn't take my unholy mission seriously, instead opting to bully me with their barriers and focusing on the Wizard who had polymorphed the HoS into a goose. The crew became outraged, demanding my capture and that I be tried for a bee murder for which I was falsely accused. As the trial was coming to a close, I called out for my Dark Master to save me, which is when a member of the jury unknowingly activated a blackhole artifact left by an earlier rad storm. I made my escape as the black hole swallowed the jury, my suitcase of soles in-hand. This particular round showcases the benefits of role-playing as a Security officer and the how it positively impacts the round as a whole; Despite being arrested and tried as a non-antagonist, I didn't care because our interactions were fun, I was treated fairly, and we were creating a narrative that was entertaining for everyone. 

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
As a Staff Assistant, one gimmick that I've attempted to run, with mixed results, is acting as an informant for Security. As an informant, I would eavesdrop on conversations and record them, submitting any particularly interesting findings to Security. I'd like to try running this from the opposite perspective, as a Head of Security. I would recruit a crewmember from another department as an informant, give them a tape recorder, camera, and tracking implant and tell them to keep me informed of any suspicious activity within their department. If their eavesdropping yielded anything fruitful or if our informant was compromised and in danger, I would setup a sting operation using the tracking implant to teleport into the department and take the culprit down. I find the idea of setting up a sting operation particularly appealing. As a bonus, using the evidence gathered by the informant, we have the option to put the suspect on trial if they were inclined to have one. 

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None
My name is Awkward Dryad and I approve this message.
Nothing but good experiences with you on sec or playing CUTIE, Big +1
why arent u a hos already lol
SimianC is an excellent security officer and player in general. They're very easy to get along with, lots of fun, and communicate well. Absolutely.
Is it just me or did everyone else somehow think Bobson's last name was Bobson Dougnnut for some reason. huh.

+1
Yes, absolutely one of the best sec officers I've played with, has a good grasp on what sec should be and rounds where they are sec are improved by their playstle and good judgement calls.
100 % no. Never. What? I should be more nice to him? OK. Fine. Good sec, good player (even if we have rivalry).
Very good officer, dependable and capable. I look forward to fighting you on the field of battle!... assuming I roll antagonist.
I'm gonna stay neutral on the HoS part as I cannot remember any recent rounds playing a round with you as sec, so I cannot give an unbiased and clear opinion on it. But what I can say is that CUTIE is one of my fav borgs/AI's which says a lot about your behaviour in complex roles such as AI.