Give Dwarfe a beret!
Usual Character Name: Jacob Dwarfe, Johnny Ringo, and Dr. Telsa
BYOND Username: MorphingDwarf
Recommended by (if applicable): uhhh... Yea... Right.
Times Available: During the summer? Anytime. But when school starts, then it's more like 4-10. I normally play on G4, but recently it's gotten a bit stale so I play on G1 with all the admin gimmicks.

Reason for Application (300 word minimum): Well when I started playing I got into trouble with security a lot and there was one HoS that saved me from angry security guards... A LOT. His/Her name was Sundance Feely. He/She really helped me out, and I want to help out other people just like he did. I don't want to go on a rant about "Shitcurity", but there are some people that are new to the game, perhaps migrants from TG, and they need a helping hand and someone to slap their wrist when they go batshit insane and start harmbatoning any assistant who so much as touches them. I know that I haven't been playing for as long as some of the other HoS qualified crewmembers, but I think I can do it. I like to play detective a lot because of the more laid back role of security it plays. However, the main reason I am applying is because of that plate of spaghetti. I see it through the glass window that I stalk-- I mean watch the HoS from. I can just see the steam floating off of it.. MMMM! It has to be sooooooo good. I have to be honest here, I have broken in before just to get some of that spaghetti. I will however be the first person to admit that I can lose my head if shit goes really bad for me in a particular round. However, if I feel myself getting angry, I typically take a step back and chill out eating donuts in the sec room for a second. One thing that I don't really care for that some of the HoS's do, is that they kill confirmed traitors without any fun. One thing in particular that I want to try is taking their shoes and making them walk through a glass tunnel covered in shards. If they can make it, then they get to go free. If not they are put on display in the sec/courtroom holding cell in a clownsuit with a bible under them if they get tired of waiting there.

Security Experience (300 word minimum): As I said in the previous round, I typically play as detective. A crime bustin', cig smokin', drunk ass detective. I really love detective because of the cool, laid back atmosphere. I typically chill out in the bar, or go investigate crimes while sprouting quotes from famous crackheads. I do however, play security sometimes, and I enjoy fighting changelings and traitors alike. The only thing I don't like fighting is wizards. I don't know why, I just don't. It may be however because of that damned phase shift ability that lets them get away from me everytime. Damn wizards. When I play security, I typically just wander the station for the first five minutes, completely ignoring everything I see unless it charges at me with a c-saber. I then go around and actually take notice, however, if it isn't blatantly obvious, or isn't something stupid like two assistants going at each other with spoons, then I still ignore it. The only thing I really respond to at this point is calls of murder or if I hear that someone is having fun. If someone is having fun on my watch, I throw em in the brig to rot for a couple centuries. If I hear anything, I go there, and then I start getting serious. If it's a ling, then I will not outright murder them, but since you can't really contain a ling unless it's knocked out, I typically stuff in a coffin and send it off with a medkit from the mass driver. Gives it a chance to survive and come back. However, if it's a traitor, I will typically confiscate it's gear, hook it up with a brand new orange suit and shackles, and perhaps a muzzle and some handcuffs, then send it on it's way.

(Also, there was only 299 words in that one.. Yep, I am definitely a rebel.)

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc): I personally believe that the depressurized area behind the gen pop cell and solitary needs to be made a little easier to get to. However, I typically put a false wall in the bathroom prior to doing my dirty deeds.. So with the right planning, it's definitely possible.

Your opinion of Shrek (5 word minimum): Shrek is by far the best damn ogre ever. I don't care what you guys think. Well, the first shrek was, but the third... Well.. He was different.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will): I don't think I have ever actually gotten banned. However I will check after posting this.
You're an awesome guy, but I'm not sure if you're robust enough. But you definitely know your stuff, and I have seen you play sec like a decent human being before.
Yea, I will not deny that I am lacking in the robustness section, and thank you for your honesty.
In a round just there, I was a traitor bowler in a biosuit and you were the detective. Now, apparently you can see bowling suits through biosuits, which I didn't know. I'd yet to do anything criminal in the slightest. This is the point at which I think someone who's HoS material turns a blind eye or maybe even drops a hint that he can see something's amiss - instead, you examined me, immediately arrested me and confiscated all my items, confirming that I wouldn't get them back and dragging me to the brig. You prioritised this over the wizard who was running around creating golems and throwing fireballs, no less.

It's not being a bad player in the strictest sense, I guess, but it's being harsh and punishing enough that it speaks to someone being a bit more play-to-win than (IMO) a HoS should be. You say you don't like HoSs who kill confirmed traitors without any fun - however, what you did isn't that far off overzealous security staff who spy someone fiddling with their PDA and instantly bust them on the off-chance that they're caught a traitor before they can do anything. It's kind of at odds with your claim to be laid back.

I can't say I have many other memories of you as a player (as far as I can tell you're usually a decent enough player, I've never seen you being particularly shit or being a vigilante in a non-sec role) and it feels petty to go by this one experience. I really don't want to come off as if I'm voting no because of a grudge - simply to say that the HoS, to me, isn't the guy who's supposed to go around trying to catch low-key traitors before they've done anything, just because the opportunity arises to do so. I'll vote no, but not unreserved.
Admiral jimbob Wrote:In a round just there, I was a traitor bowler in a biosuit and you were the detective. Now, apparently you can see bowling suits through biosuits, which I didn't know. I'd yet to do anything criminal in the slightest. This is the point at which I think someone who's HoS material turns a blind eye or maybe even drops a hint that he can see something's amiss - instead, you examined me, immediately arrested me and confiscated all my items, confirming that I wouldn't get them back and dragging me to the brig. You prioritised this over the wizard who was running around creating golems and throwing fireballs, no less.

It's not being a bad player in the strictest sense, I guess, but it's being harsh and punishing enough that it speaks to someone being a bit more play-to-win than (IMO) a HoS should be. You say you don't like HoSs who kill confirmed traitors without any fun - however, what you did isn't that far off overzealous security staff who spy someone fiddling with their PDA and instantly bust them on the off-chance that they're caught a traitor before they can do anything. It's kind of at odds with your claim to be laid back.

I can't say I have many other memories of you as a player (as far as I can tell you're usually a decent enough player, I've never seen you being particularly shit or being a vigilante in a non-sec role) and it feels petty to go by this one experience. I really don't want to come off as if I'm voting no because of a grudge - simply to say that the HoS, to me, isn't the guy who's supposed to go around trying to catch low-key traitors before they've done anything, just because the opportunity arises to do so. I'll vote no, but not unreserved.

Ah, but see, I did. I saw you multiple times. I waited specifically until later in the round. I get however, that you were upset, because everyone is when they get busted. But I also told you that I was just charging you with possession of prohibited items, and that you were merely going to be brigged for 3 minutes, then I would release you. But you, being a normal human, gave up to frustration and commited suicide before I even brigged you.
I would also like to add that there is a dangerously low amount of security on G4. I would only have to imagine that any antagonists could get away with nearly anything. So even if I am not accepted into the HoS position, then can I request some HoSs on G4 a little more frequently. (Excluding Hard Boiled, he plays a lot of HoS on G4)
Morphing_Dwarf Wrote:Ah, but see, I did. I saw you multiple times. I waited specifically until later in the round. I get however, that you were upset, because everyone is when they get busted. But I also told you that I was just charging you with possession of prohibited items, and that you were merely going to be brigged for 3 minutes, then I would release you. But you, being a normal human, gave up to frustration and commited suicide before I even brigged you.
You only waited until 11 minutes into the round, I checked. I know you weren't going to brig me for long, but frankly I couldn't be bothered playing a round of Traitor Hardmode without any gear or ID (some assistant ran off with that, I think, not your fault). Honestly, I wasn't too upset because I couldn't really be bothered traitoring it up that round in general, but I remembered that you were applying for HoS and your actions gave me cause for concern. I wouldn't consider myself HoS material at all - at least yet - but I'd probably wink and say I found the inept bowler's attire unfashionable, something like that, to give them a hint that I knew something was amiss and give them the chance to scuttle off and rethink their plans. More fun for everyone that way, you know? I dunno, that's usually how I play detective, but maybe I'm the one that's just too laid back (I've had someone rage at me because of that before, but it was on the same round as someone else raged at me for being a funhating supercop, so I figured that cancelled out). I'll see what others think, I guess.
Oh wow. That is a really good idea actually. I will also be sure to wait longer in the round next time. Sorry and thanks.
This instance aside, though I must say that I used to do this too, before realizing it is a bit less fun, I will give you a yes. I have seen you on 4, mainly cuz I only play on 4 and in my opinion, I think you are robust enough, and have most of the qualifications. HoS is not something someone starts playing and is automatically perfect at the role. YOU do not make the Head of Security. Head of Security makes YOU. And though you still lack key parts, I know that you have what it takes to wear the beret. cool
He fell for the chameleon projector trick.

So my vote is yes.
Marquesas Wrote:He fell for the chameleon projector trick.

So my vote is yes.

Oh my goodness... I felt so stupid after that.. You got me sooooooooooooooo good.

I was literally laughing so hard, I almost fell out of my chair.
Yes, Morphing Dwarf is always a solid player.

As for robustness, I really think you should be able to nab the common player, not necessarily top echelon. I certainly wasn't when I applied for HoS, but I nabbed my fair share of bad guys. And I learned more about fighting while HoS than I ever did as common security... mostly because you're a target for every well-rounded traitor for your ID and beret.

I don't think HoS' SHOULD be Terminators, they should be competent, fun, and responsible to a minor degree. It's just that some of the best players happen to have HoS because they've played a long time and thus accrued experience, not necessarily because the experience was a requirement for the beret.

edit: I still fall for the chameleon projector trick. Because it's so underutilized I never expect it.
Heiraphont Wrote:Yes, Morphing Dwarf is always a solid player.

As for robustness, I really think you should be able to nab the common player, not necessarily top echelon. I certainly wasn't when I applied for HoS, but I nabbed my fair share of bad guys. And I learned more about fighting while HoS than I ever did as common security... mostly because you're a target for every well-rounded traitor for your ID and beret.

I don't think HoS' SHOULD be Terminators, they should be competent, fun, and responsible to a minor degree. It's just that some of the best players happen to have HoS because they've played a long time and thus accrued experience, not necessarily because the experience was a requirement for the beret.

edit: I still fall for the chameleon projector trick. Because it's so underutilized I never expect it.

Thanks. While writing this I was actually really wondering how the general public feels about me, and after all of the (somewhat) positive replies, I am actually kinda shocked. Thanks to everyone.
In the same light as Heiraphont, I too was a pretty meh player when I first came to being a HoS. I'd like to think I've grown much more as a player, and was glad that I was given the opportunity.
Robustness should not be a priority for HoS's at all. Cunning and selflessness to me is two quality's I like to see in sec. Example: you've got blown up into chunks or worse, but if you did so that others might live then you are good material.
Passiveness is also a good quality, if not the most sought after. Catching traitors early on, and letting them go with all their stuff bar one thing (for me, if it's an unlocked pda I always buy a microbomb) is good karma. There has been a surprising few times I have been spared or even rescued by a traitor just because I gave him/her a second chance.
Communication is another biggie, being a head afterall of an important department and a very active sec frequency means that many security will be looking to you for a verdict of a situation.

These 4 qualities, come with time and effort. Expect to be robusted. Be vigilant. Smile and fart as you are getting stunned and spaced, zero shits you should not give, nothing ingame is personal.

So i'm going to go ahead give you the opportunity, go forth and extract the essence of the beret.
Yes.
Sundance Wrote:zero shits you should not give, nothing ingame is personal.

So i'm going to go ahead give you the opportunity, go forth and extract the essence of the beret.
Yes.

Thanks. Well spoken indeed.