Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Start the Map Vote During the Lobby
Now that vote tallies can be seen by anyone, it's insane to see how few people actually end up voting. I think having the map vote during the first few minutes of the round is bad placement. The first few minutes of the round are a bit frantic, as you're getting your inventory set up as well as hunting down items you want.

I feel that players will be more inclined to vote if the map vote is initiated during the lobby, as there's not much else going on! People are usually just loading their saved character and chatting in OOC. Starting the map vote about 60 seconds before round start will catch people's attention, and lead to more voting as there isn't much else to do. Plus people can rally for the map they want in OOC without feeling weird about doing it in the midst of a round.
I feel like this is a really good idea, my only worry would be the potentially AFK people who have stepped away in between rounds, missing out. But that would probably only be if and when its changed for a short time. I'm sure they could get used to it being earlier. Over all my point is, Yes, I would love to see this become reality
That's absolutely a fair point. Worst case scenario is that data can be collected on the number of votes and we can compare the average to during the lobby versus during the first few minutes of the round.

Edit: I'm also not implying that the map vote should end with the round starting. It can go on for a bit into the round.
Maybe have the map vote run for the entire lobby period, and only begin counting down to lock-in when the round begins? That way it'd catch everyone who was AFK between rounds and make it clear to new players that the map currently being voted for is meant for the next round and not the current one.
The map has to compile, it takes like a minute. If the map was voted in in the pre-game lobby the start of the round would be elongated very significantly. The last time rounds took a long time to compile (back when z5 was first implemented and during early Oshan rounds) people would complain a lot in OOC so I'm not certain it'd be a popular change.
(07-31-2019, 09:20 PM)Flaborized Wrote: The map has to compile, it takes like a minute. If the map was voted in in the pre-game lobby the start of the round would be elongated very significantly. The last time rounds took a long time to compile (back when z5 was first implemented and during early Oshan rounds) people would complain a lot in OOC so I'm not certain it'd be a popular change.

Are you talking about the instance in which the map vote occurs for the round you're readying up for? I was thinking more along the lines of the map vote affecting the next round, after the server restarts.

It would be similar to how it currently works, except that instead of the vote occurring during the beginning of the round, the vote starts at the lobby and then ends sometime in the first few minutes of the round.
Oh, I misunderstood! I think that the map vote being at the start of the round before would be okay, it'd have the advantage of people not being busy with anything so they remember to vote but the disadvantage of separating the voting from the actual map being played even further than it already is
Yes +1
fyi this idea is objectively a GoodOne™
People will be more likely to vote of they aren’t focused on stuff in the middle of things. Yes objectively correct idea.
Got some data. There was a map vote hosted in the lobby, during a long wait for a Manta round to start.

Here's what to note about the following images. The first one is of the map vote held during the lobby. I did not look at the player count unfortunately. The admins also played a few sounds using the "you hear a robotic voice command" telling players to vote for a map. This may have skewed the data a bit. The second image is of the following round, after the server hard restarted. I assume this round had a comparable player count, but it might have been slightly less.

Map vote during lobby:
[Image: ZN8J9Wi.png]
Map vote in the following round:
[Image: ybSAuBS.png]

30 votes from the map vote during the lobby vs 10.25 from five minutes into the round.
That data is a bit unfair though, as in the first instance in the lobby a few admins told people to vote in OOC and with decctalk and a lot of attention was drawn to the vote. I doubt it'd be that dramatic of a difference if it was a regular feature.

Not to say that I don't support the idea though.
(08-02-2019, 09:55 PM)Flaborized Wrote: That data is a bit unfair though, as in the first instance in the lobby a few admins told people to vote in OOC and with decctalk and a lot of attention was drawn to the vote. I doubt it'd be that dramatic of a difference if it was a regular feature.

Not to say that I don't support the idea though.

I agree you're right, it is absolutely a weak data point. It requires more data collection, but hey it doesn't hurt to document it.
Would support this if the data collection was a little stronger. Do it over a week and see how it goes (to account for people voting on lobby at first just because it's something unexpected and new).
i dont think its an unfair data point because the whole concept of the idea is "lets make this at an accessible time, where you can draw attention to it" - so drawing attention to it is pretty much the way to go. We could easilly add more voice clips to emphasize it during lobby time.