Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Mute rev flashes for the first ten minutes
Right now the rev flash is super loud and can tip off rounds within the first 3 minutes, which generally provokes a knee jerk response of sec emptying 5-10 loyalty implants in the beginning of the round. I think the flash being muted for the first ten minutes would make the mode a little more balanced.
Honestly, this isn't a bad idea at all. Simple, reasonable, and easy to both implement and undo if it turns out to not be a great idea.

I see no reason why this couldn't be playtested.
IMO that's the point of revflashes having a unique noise at all. You're supposed to be very aware of revs very early on as a head/sec/crew. It's kind of an inconsistent and confusing idea. One way or another the heads are going to know it's revs 10+ minutes in, so why should the revflashes start making loud sounds then? If the loudness should be changed then I think it should be made quieter in general if need-be.

Rev rounds are supposed to be easily identifiable though, that's a big part of the balance. If it's not the sounds then it'll be a random non-rev or AI seeing a conversion happen or someone noticing large amounts of the crew travelling together for seemingly no reason. The gamemode is designed around sec noticing it's revs early and building up a loyalty implanted group to help fight.
i retract my previous statement because i did not think through the ramifications that the original suggestion would have on the rest of the round - flab makes some excellent points
How about a Rev Kit: Comes with 2 Rev flashes so you have a backup flash, 2 Rev implants that are both silent and resistant to dereving, an implanter, and a random weapon like a Derringer or a pipebomb
(07-28-2019, 04:20 PM)Flaborized Wrote: IMO that's the point of revflashes having a unique noise at all. You're supposed to be very aware of revs very early on as a head/sec/crew. It's kind of an inconsistent and confusing idea. One way or another the heads are going to know it's revs 10+ minutes in, so why should the revflashes start making loud sounds then? If the loudness should be changed then I think it should be made quieter in general if need-be.

Rev rounds are supposed to be easily identifiable though, that's a big part of the balance. If it's not the sounds then it'll be a random non-rev or AI seeing a conversion happen or someone noticing large amounts of the crew travelling together for seemingly no reason. The gamemode is designed around sec noticing it's revs early and building up a loyalty implanted group to help fight.

yeah you’re right here
Yeah, Rev's definitely imbalanced towards security. Security shouldn't be able to buy 30 loyalty implants 3 minutes in after they hear one rev flash and then go ahead and randomly be implanting every single crew member. That shit sucks. Security starts with 8 implants, then 8 more in the armory, and QM's starting budget lets them buy like what, 20-30 more? That's enough coverage for the entire station. Mode isn't even competitive.

Security shouldn't be allowed to order more loyalties for the first fifteen minutes.

edit: or as someone mentioned in discords loyalty implants not needing to be instant would be fun
How about the more times a rev uses a flash the louder it gets?
(08-11-2019, 05:43 PM)OMJ Wrote: Yeah, Rev's definitely imbalanced towards security. Security shouldn't be able to buy 30 loyalty implants 3 minutes in after they hear one rev flash and then go ahead and randomly be implanting every single crew member. That shit sucks. Security starts with 8 implants, then 8 more in the armory, and QM's starting budget lets them buy like what, 20-30 more? That's enough coverage for the entire station. Mode isn't even competitive.

Security shouldn't be allowed to order more loyalties for the first fifteen minutes.

edit: or as someone mentioned in discords loyalty implants not needing to be instant would be fun

This hasn't been my experience at all. The game feels super stacked against the crew in rev because revs snowball super hard super early and often catch 2 or 3 heads with their pants down before anyone knows it's rev. Then sec, if there even is any sec, gets 8 implants to start with and have to utilize them carefully because there's a non-zero probability that the deconverted people won't fight for the station because they're not obligated to.

If there's a HoS then they get access to 8 more, but there usually isn't a HoS and any round with a HoS is naturally going to go better for Sec by sheer virtue of there being at least once competent person on the force who can corral them into making a valid counterattack.

At this point the revs, if they manage to recruit anyone who knows what they're doing, will have already taken over QM and spent all the money on random crap, and they'll usually have barricaded it in because QM is a very strong defensive structure and a lot of people are Hail Cargonia types.

So by the time that sec has (1) identified that it's rev and (2) managed to get their shit straight, the revs will in all probability be 15 to 20 people strong and fighting the 5 heads, their 0-3 officers, and their totally apathetic crew.

Everything is stacked up against the station, and they need some kinda edge that can facilitate them coming back from the brink. Making loyalty implants too weak means that sec has to be on point to win, and that's just not good in my opinion.

Like, right now it feels super easy for sec to win when they're on point and the revs aren't, but that's how every team based game mode feels. If one team is calm, coordinated, and has a clear plan and the other team doesn't then of course they're going to win.

Not to mention, we've had a heck of an increase in highly skilled players interested in sec, lately. I feel like this is a temporary situation that'll resolve itself as people learn how to respond to the current meta.
Revs as a roundtype is inherently flawed. The roundtype is balanced around security noticing it's revs quickly and implanting people, but on rounds where that actually happens revs get absolutely shitstomped before they can do anything unless the last revhead hides in maintenance until centcom gibs everyone. When security ISN'T on point, then revs convert literally the entire crew and shitstomp the heads of staff unless the last head hides in maintenance until centcom gibs everyone.

Though I am guessing most people disagree with me on this, revs as a gamemode is completely unsalvageable in it's current state, and unless it gets reworked completely from the ground up, the coders should just remove it again and never bring it back.