Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NTSO Storage Suggestions
I managed to catch quite a few rounds this friday and had a blast playing as HoS and NTSO. I never really get a chance to play on fridays so I figured I'd put on some big boy pants and stop being a drain on the station and actually try to be useful to it. (I had some varying degrees of success in this area, but overall I had fun and I hope the people I got put up against had some fun as well.) Regardless to any of that I do have a suggestion for NTSO that could improve their life a little bit.

So playing as NTSO I have had some issues with storage space. Having your tools quickly accessible can mean life or death in a lot of combat situations while fighting any variety of antag you eventually cross paths with. So to make things just a tad easier, I wanted to make a suggest of changing the 9mm pouch just a little bit, with this suggest to follow:

Change the name of the 9mm Pouch to Tactical Pouches with a description of: A special set of military pouches worn on your belt or armor. Used to hold either weapon magazines, energy cells or other useful combat supplies.

Increase it's storage cap by 1 square (6 squares in total, 3 defaulted for the 9mm magazines, 3 for anything else.) and let the pouches hold grenades, handcuffs, flashes, whistles, and anything else the admins might find a use for it. 

This will help give the NTSO some breathing room on their equipment, specially if they need to confiscate contraband from an antag. Or bring extra medical supplies in case shit hits the fan.
If there isn't a full security detail you can just take one of their sec toolbelts (depending on map, there might even be extras in customs and checkpoints by default)

If there IS a full security detail, then all the batons/tasers/etc. are likely already taken, so it's not like you need the space.

Besides, the NTSO is a "for funsies" role that's mainly for shooting at deadly deadly antags with your wimpy wimpy gun and being a useless piece of garbage, hah. I think it's in a good spot right now.
To be honest the G188 isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Sure I mean a lot of shit puts out more damage, but it does cause good constant bleed and does seem to make people flinch on hit. (That last part could just be byond lag) out of experience with it.

However going back to the topic at hand, if you get a sec belt. Then it's going to be filled with a stun baton, taser, G188... Then it won't fit a full toolkit. (Aka Wire Cutters, Crowbar, screwdriver, multitool, wrench, welder) And ofc your pockets have your air can and 9mm pouch. Then in your backpack you have your medical kit, normal box, and the two tools you couldn't store in your belt (Any gimmick item you might of started with and want to keep) then most likely some handcuffs and flashbangs. You are using all your available space this way.

All I am saying is, in real life, these pouches can be used for holding other things than just magazines.
That's sort of the point of inventory limitations. You can have a full kit of sec gear, tools, medical supplies and ammo on your person but you have to manage it well. One potential solution is to keep all of your tools in your starting box or even on a separate toolbelt in your bag. You could also just carry less stuff in general! The NTSO job has enough space for the stuff they absolutely need and anything they might need to pick up, medical kits and a full series of tools are extra, taking them is trading inventory for their presence.