Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Adjust the Population Scaling for Blobs
It's kinda infamous how short blob rounds usually are unless you get a god-like blob player around, and I think instead of buffing them in other ways or finicky scenarios. A simple solution would be increasing the amount of blobs there are.

Recently I was in a round with 59 people and there were only 2 blobs. That's 29 people per blob, there is absolutely zero chance anyone could stand up against that many people running at you with fire extinguishers, no matter how good they are.

You could probably argue about at what point is too many blobs or the specific numbers, but I personally feel that two blobs is not enough on most rounds, and 40 players should = at least 3.

I propose you just make a small adjustment to see how it plays out, and then adjust the numbers more from there. If it winds up being too many blobs, you can tone it down a tad, or buff it up, or some such. I imagine it can't be that difficult though I admit I am not a coder.

tl;dr - Experiment with more blebs during blubby rounds.
It's not really fair to say that higher population necessarily makes playing blob easier or harder in my opinion. Some of the easiest blob rounds I've played have been when there's been a lot of people on the station just rushing me and dying, giving me lots and lots of EVO points. I also consistently see blobs getting stomped during relatively lowpop rounds as well as it's usually a small group of people who know blob weaknesses and how to exploit them that kill the blobs quickly.

I think it's ingrained in the way blob is designed. It's weak to a few things that lone players can do and if you don't follow a very specific and rigid series of guidelines early (such as deciding where to spawn or what upgrades to take) you won't do very well. Most people who play blob don't have the info to know what a good spawn is or what upgrades are basically mandatory or what buildings to build where so they die very quickly.

Having more blobs during very highpop times makes sense but I think the primary issues that blob has would still remain and rounds would be basically the same they are now: The blobs either die very early as everyone who knows how to fight blobs gears up to kill them to get the round over with or the blobs know the "meta" of blob and do very well.
I don’t think this would entirely solve the problems Blob has but I do think it’s a step in the right direction. I feel like there just isn’t enough Blobs a lot of the time.

Unrelated to this suggestion but I think that Blobs should have teleportation jamming on their tiles because telesci immediately sending a “delete blob” bomb isnt fun for anyone.
Yeah, the way it works now is that there is usually a minimum of two blobs, but can be higher the more players are on. every multiple of 20 (rounded down) grants an additional blob.

So of you have 15 players you'll get 2 blobs since that's the minimum. If you have 59 you'll still get 2 blobs because 59/20 rounded down is 2.

Those do seem a little high. I can't remember the last time I saw more than 2 blobs in a blob round. I can't comment of if there are more blobs in a round that would make it significantly better, but I'm open to allowing more because having it be 2 blobs 99.999% of the time has gotten pretty stale.
I'd like to see a change in # of blobs simply because people (almost) always know that there are exactly two blobs due to current population numbers.

I also agree with blocking teleportation on top of blob tiles because there is quite literally nothing you can do about bombs being teleported on you outside of starting in telescience.
I dunno. I played a round recently that had probably over 6 blobs. They got steamroller pretty quickly, because once everyone knew there was one they got armed up and relentlessly searched for more.
Wait, it doesn't just spawn 2?

I could of sworn blob mode only spawned two and only two.
(07-29-2019, 07:51 PM)Technature Wrote: Wait, it doesn't just spawn 2?

I could of sworn blob mode only spawned two and only two.

I think itit was a combination of spawn protection and admin intervention, but there was I know there had been a bar, Sec, bridge, and disposals Blob at the very least
Hm. Since blobs always seem to come in multiples, I propose the following tweak alongside blob spawn rate tweaks:

Buffing the blobs whenever a fellow blob is killed. While this proposal is fairly off-topic, it would also assist in stopping the blobs from being steamrolled as soon as one is found.

I also like the idea of blocking teleportation onto a blob tile - after all, they should be obstructed due to the blob being there.
id go a step further and have the blob absorb anything teleported inside it
Also a neat idea! After all, you'd be stuck inside a big gelatinous mass. How can you even move your arms, nevermind swing your crowbar? You're already being digested, perma-stunned and eaten alive.
(07-29-2019, 07:31 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I dunno. I played a round recently that had probably over 6 blobs. They got steamroller pretty quickly, because once everyone knew there was one they got armed up and relentlessly searched for more.

That was mostly admin bus though for more blobs, and the later blobs were sent in after the crew had flamers en masse more than 20 mins into the round.

Either way I don't think having more blobs will alone solve the problem of Blobs entirely, but I think it's a good first step and it's one of the problems they have, and worst case scenario they wind up not really changing that much.
it would probably help if the weakness of blobs wasn't everything
I have a new idea that I think someone mentioned in OOC one round.

What if Blobs started with reflective membrane? One of blobs biggest weaknesses is pods/energy guns rushing them, which are either unlimited ammo or quickly recharged.

Reflective membrane still costs Biopoints to place, they just won’t be exclusive to really big blobs. It gives them another option to be smart against crew.