Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Remove Small Cells From Weapons Without Swapping
Suggested method is to click drag weapon onto self, given most weapons already have a use in hand
I'd like this to be ingame as it seems silly that you cant remove cells from guns
Upon discussion with mbc on discord i got a suggestion that would be suitable for this
as mbc said easily removing small cells from firearms could impede gun balance for example removing a stun baton cell to put into a taser. A solution to this could be to make it that if a cell is not native to a weapon (unless it has the same capacity and charge rate) that it would have a chance to malfunction or reduced capacity/charge rate because of improper voltages or something
Some possible malfunctions could be:
A small short circuit occurs - loss of 10% charge
A major short circuit occurs - loss of 50 or higher potentially all charge
A minor malfunction occurs - self recharge is disabled for 10 seconds (would only occur on cells that can self recharge)
A major malfunction occurs - self recharge is disabled for a minute (would only occur on cells that can self recharge)
obviously the major effects would be rarer.

Also small artifact cells could have different quirky effects instead of malfunctions outside of an artifact gun
for example:
A puff of smoke emanates from the cell and a chicken is found when the smoke resides
A light toot is heard from the cell (fart sound)
also effects that may be harmful for example
A cloud of [reagent](for example styptic powder) gushes out of the cell

a bit of fluff might be that artifact guns naturally take these effects and convert them into extra energy for the weapon to explain why this doesn't occur with art cells inside of artifact guns

Also making it so that you need to stand still to remove or swap cells might be a good idea
optionally making it that its faster if you have a screwdriver in the offhand and having a chance the cover will break if opened without a screwdriver
When the cover is missing the cell may fall out upon firing
The cover could be replaced with a metal sheet
Also a nice addition would be to make small artifact cells non removable until the artifact gun is activated(this so that meta gaming that the art is a gun is not possible.)
(also make small art cells spawn naturally(like put them in the tiny artifact pool))
just ID lock tasers, phasers, energy guns and batons to security. Security can get batteries easy anyhow. Lasers found in space don't require this but they are hard to get so...
(07-23-2019, 04:40 AM)salix_catus Wrote: just ID lock tasers, phasers, energy guns and batons to security.  Security can get batteries easy anyhow. Lasers found in space don't require this but they are hard to get so...

This has been done eons ago. It was not good.

I understand MBCs point regarding balancing. A simple solution here that would incorporate Urs idea would be the limit interchanging between Stun Batons and Tasers.

Stun Batons now work off Large Batteries (the kind inside APCs, borgs, etc) and Tasers work off Small Batteries. This would completely stop the balancing issue dead in its tracks. 

The unintended side effect of this would mean someone who has a stolen stunbaton could effectively charge their baton on the fly if they have pocketed a few batteries, of which there are many on the station. I honestly don't see too much of an issue with this as it's very ghetto, and goon is all about ghetto.
I mean people already switch power cells between guns and batons. All it requires is one of the shitty 100 charge powercells and then you can just switch everything around. I don't really see the need to go hard core balancing on something as simple as just removing a powercell. Its not a big enough deal. We ain't some kinda Esports here.

Though my suggestion is to give batons and tasers an internal powercell that cannot be removed or swapped. That way people cant just remove all the taser/baton powercells in sec. Though you can put another power cell into them for ADDITIONAL charge.
Kiki ain't wrong.

Although, if a traitor/shithead is going to the trouble of removing all the cells in sec, they'd be better just stealing the entire arsenal. Security already spawn with a battery in their bag so the above scenario is a minor inconvenience at best.