Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Werewolf Proposal
Werewolves are strong, imposing melee monsters. This is all well and good; it's their role, after all. And, as rare as they are, and with them being (mostly) off-rotation, balance isn't as much of an issue; they're not antagonists you should expect to encounter every single day, and thus can be more of a surprising, empowering experience or a round-subverting agent of chaos. Still, I feel a few things could be changed about them; for instance, exacerbating their weaknesses, while also giving them a new advantage.

First, most importantly and most notably, Silver could affect them like silvered bullets and silvercuffs can.
See, silver bullets and cuffs affect werewolves already; and this is perfectly good. However, what I mean is that the base reagent could affect them in some way; as it stands, a puddle of silver, or a whole load of silver dust splashed into a werewolf's face, does absolutely nothing. Perhaps it could instead lengthen cooldowns on their abilities significantly, or force them out of their transformed state with high enough doses?

Second, aconitum could also affect them as aconite does.
Once again, I refer to the reagent, rather than the plant (which is aconite rather than aconitum). Aconite stuns werewolves when they step over it, meanwhile the reagent aconitum only does its normal functions (according to the wiki), causing toxin, a 1/10 chance of a stun, and a smaller chance of breath-loss. Perhaps the reagent's breathloss and stun chances could be increased for werewolves?

Third, aconite (the plant) could affect werewolves to a greater degree.
I feel that werewolves are in a relatively good place, balance-wise; but, aconite does very little against a well-fed werewolf (which they probably deserve, if they've fought to feed). Perhaps aconite's effects could grow stronger the more a werewolf has fed, naturally countering more well-fed werewolves while still providing a normal level of hindrance to an unfed one? This suggestion isn't as important, in my mind, as making the reagents affect them like the unique items do (silver bullets and aconite flowers); for consistency's sake.

Finally, werewolves could become more and more cold-resistant as they feed.
Again, I feel that werewolves are in a relatively good position in terms of balance, for being off the main rotation (without a dedicated mode); that being said, I don't want to just propose nerfs, as it seems unfair. Perhaps, as a werewolf feeds, they gain resistance to cold, eventually culminating in a 90% resistance to it? They aren't entirely immune, but the damage from overly-cold air is mitigated significantly; and perhaps, at their maximum, werewolves become immune to cold slowdown effects (if they aren't already)?

I feel that at least the first two suggestions are worth consideration, as it would make interactions more consistent; aconitum doesn't do anything out of the ordinary, while aconite stuns werewolves. Silvered bullets can pierce a werewolf and manage to deal burn + tox if they embed, and silvercuffs can keep a werewolf locked up permanently (unless they go human) and are unbreakable in their beast form, but the silver reagent itself does little - if anything - to them. Making things more consistent would naturally improve things, in my mind; the rest of the ideas here are just other small ideas that my tired brain came up with, probably not worth consideration as much as suggestions #1 and #2.
Any thoughts, criticisms or other suggestions/counter-suggestions?
i feel like the silver reagent doing anything considerable to the werewolf would be overpowered, since silver is simply a base reagent in the chem dispenser and takes one click to get
Perhaps it could act similarly to non-lethals in Swat 4, in that after you've applied it, you have to wait for it to wear off naturally to make it effective again