Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Rebellion mode/ Death star Mode
(This isn't a well thought out idea, just some thoughts to prompt discussion.)

This Idea is in response to this thread:
Rev round Pods

I thought, there's no rounds that really encourage pod use. Why not? That could be pretty good thing for game set in space. It could be tricky to figure out something that works, but that's half the fun of new things.

So perhaps rebellion mode could work vaguely like this?:

There are rebels who start in a secret base in the debris/asteroid field. Their job is to infiltrate the station, posing as crew members whilst recruiting more rebels, in order to assasinate the heads of staff.

The aim of the station crew is to protect the heads of staff, whilst trying to find and destroy the rebel base.
the base can be destroyed in two ways:
> Powering the PTL to a certain level and inputing the gps coordinates of the rebel base. (encourages engineers to play a big part)
> OR for those who know how to bomb it with a canister bomb. (encourages scientists to play a part)

The rebels can try to destroy the PTL and Bomb making facilities.

Pods would be vital for this mode, encouraging dogfights.
I think this is a fairly interesting concept for a mode. I'm not sure how the base thing would work, as it would have to be on an entire new Z-level or would have to have its location in the debris field randomized every round. Overall though, I think it could be an enjoyable gamemode if it's fully realized.
Would work perfectly on Manta w/the syndicate vessel
yesss, maybe have it be secret till the 15-30 minute mark so the rebels can prepare and implant some nerds, then an announcement will be made and a timer will count down until the ship has a lock on the syndicate shuttle and can fire at it with whatever is decided to be used (that new rockets suggestion, PTL, a can bomb made through toxins, etc.). The timer could maybe be halved by having a beacon be placed inside the syndie shuttle by the crew (The shuttle being placed at a random location in a new "syndicate wars" z-level filled with randomly generated debris), then having the AI lock onto those coordinates for 20 seconds. The Rebels/Syndies would have to delay all of this and would be tasked with blowing up an important part of the station via can bomb so that they can live to fight another day. If all of the syndies die or the syndie ship is destroyed then NT wins, if the syndie ship is able to escape and at least 1 syndie makes it to syndie-comm then they win (perhaps at the 50 minute mark it can start charging it's engines and 10 minutes after the syndies activate the FTL it will automatically escape, spending the usual shuttle time in transit allowing NT invaders to kill them)
I think instead of the Syndie win being "not dying" they should have an actual objective that conflicts with the crew somehow. Maybe stay around and scan the station for long enough so some NPC can "calibrate" a teleporter with clownspiders?
Perhaps the Rebels are priming their own superweapon, and are functionally similar to Nuke Ops, in the sense that one side winning entails the annihilation of the other side and their plans.

Alternatively, the Rebels are tasked with causing significant damage to randomly selected parts of the station, without dying. These objectives could change every so often. The more objectives that are completed (and how much damage is dealt) increases the progress towards the charging of some superweapon - maybe a dirty bomb that would flood everything with radiation that needs enough breaches in the station to work (not mechanically - that'd just be the explanation given for why it can't immediately be set off).

I think that it would be neat to have a pod-based antagonist whose sole purpose is to harass and combat the crew. Perhaps as a similar thing to Nuke Ops, with all that sweet syndie gear, but just with the task of destroying and killing without the use of a nuke.

Could be neat, I suppose! These are all just spitballed ideas.
Replace pod engine with pipe and welder.
(07-17-2019, 08:10 PM)medsal15 Wrote: Replace pod engine with pipe and welder.

i think you posted this on the wrong thread
(07-17-2019, 09:02 PM)cyberTripping Wrote:
(07-17-2019, 08:10 PM)medsal15 Wrote: Replace pod engine with pipe and welder.

i think you posted this on the wrong thread

Oh crap, thanks for telling me.
I feel like if there's gonna be a full-on pod antagonist it shouldn't even be a guy in a pod, just a robot or brain in a jar.
Maybe a map with department sizes similar to atlas but with the separate ship vibe like horizon? only the ships are more separated with a pod bay each?