Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Goonstation Monthly Contest: July Edition!
Star 
And now, the moment you've all been waiting for... Welcome to the July edition of our Goonstation Monthly Contest! Similar to last month, you'll have a shot at winning a beautiful Gannets sticker, shiny Byond hub medals (complete with some neat ingame rewards), and some pretty sweet bragging rights. Enjoy!

This month's guidelines should be pretty fun and allow for a bit of creativity. All you need to do is submit a thoughtful idea for a small(ish) feature (coding-wise) you wish to see added to the game. In case you need clarification, here are some examples.

Good ideas: 
  • I think we should add a random event where a trader wanders around the station like Beepsky, and tries to sell you various knicknacks
  • Add a "dye" reagent that can dye fluids different colors, regardless of what reagents they actually contain
  • Make botany more interesting by always letting spliced plants retain the reagents of both their parents

Bad ideas: 
  • Bring back poo! (this is neither thoughtful nor a small feature)
  • Add a new baton variant that stuns for 5 minutes and put it in every sec officer's backpack when they spawn (this isn't thoughtful at all)
  • Remove pathology, as it sucks for xyz reasons (this isn't suggesting a feature; it's suggesting the removal of one)
  • Here's my 10 page write-up of a new gamemode, please add it (new gamemodes are not small features)

You can only make one submission, so give it your best shot (but feel free to swap if you find a better one). Submissions will close on the 23rd. After that, we will sort through the submissions, disqualify the ones that we feel don't fit our submission criteria, and put the remaining ones up for a vote. The voting period will last for a week, and then we'll announce the top three submissions. 

The prize tiers are as follows:
Winner: Gannets sticker, top 3 medal (and a cool ingame reward), Firebarrage will personally code your idea and add it to the game, bragging rights
Two runner-ups: top 3 medal (and a cool ingame reward), Firebarrage will personally code your idea and add it to the game, bragging rights
Everyone whose submission wasn't disqualified: participation medal (and a different but also cool ingame reward), bragging rights

If you'd like to provide suggestions or feedback for this or future contests, please feel free to reach out on Discord and let us know! Thank you again for being a part of the Goonstation community! We hope to see your submission soon! a fancy greater domestic space-bee
Mayonaise is a condiment, but it's got no reagent. I would like to see mayo have its own reagent.
Make omnitraitors turn into wraiths when they die, because I am pretty sure wraith is the only normal antagonist that omnitraitor doesn't get.
Add jelly beans
Give late start wraiths a chance for an alternate objective: Haunt the station and seek revenge for your untimely death (this objective isn't tracked and will always succeed)

I think it might be a neat way to prompt wraiths into haunting the person who killed them or was otherwise responsible for their death while being broad enough to apply generally if there isn't a specific person to blame
Something I've wanted to see for a while is a change to the way produce satchels work.  Sometimes I just want to reach into the bag and not dump the entire thing on the floor, y'know?  Maybe have it function similar to player-created pill bottles where clicking with an open hand dispenses 1 thing from the bag (chosen at random if there are multiple types?)
[Image: K2vW5tX.png]
looking through my forum posts gave me less ideas than expected.

how about a traitor device that when activated, blinks the user forward in the direction they're moving, a short distance. if not moving, probably teleport them randomly. relatively low cooldown or cost, probably not both, but the device is somewhat hard to use due without winding up in a wall or space, so it's in theory not too strong
Drinking a large amount of soda should let us burp our way around space!
Add Legman and Clownshoe Legman Horse
A housefly ghost critter. I even sprited one!
Office tape that can be applied to papers so they'll stick to walls similarly to wanted posters and sticky notes.
Give changeligs buttsquids or other such ling "limb" you can create out of your butt.
(07-03-2019, 04:08 PM)Flourish Wrote:
  • Make botany more interesting by always letting spliced plants retain the reagents of both their parents
Can we please add this to the contest list as Flourish's idea, so it has a chance to win and be implemented?
Same system as there is for security tickets, but for positive remarks instead.

The clown has been officially distinguished by Nanotrasen Corporate Security for slipping the syndicate operatives with his own bleeding corpse.