Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Medal/Job Rewards rework
Currently, medal rewards are kind of crap:

- You have to have the item. Trying to claim the reward when you don't meet the conditions gives you nothing and makes you unable to claim it.
- You can activate them at any time, which makes them into an unfair advantage if you need to change how you look to avoid detection.
- Similarly, you can transform items regardless of their stats, which can disguise powerful armor.
- Job rewards (what few there are) can be claimed anywhere.

I suggested replacing them with a few different mechanics:

Some rewards are always active once you get them.
- Things like Smug, the Malfunctioning AI skin, and so on, are available to use immediately if you have the medal, no reward claiming required.

Some rewards can be toggled on before spawning. If you enable them, you'll spawn with the item or ability, like for traits.
- If you spawn as Janitor and enable the rewards, you'll have a "Pro Janitor" kit in your backpack that you can use in-hand to unwrap your benefits.
- For clothing rewards, you can enable them to spawn with the alternate gear. Have the right medal and spawn as Captain? You start with the blue outfit, no base item needed. Like satchels over backpacks? You start with one every time.

Other rewards are available by using a "Rewards Closet" in Crew Quarters near the other jumpsuit manufacturers/vendors.
- If you acquire the things needed for a reskin, you can do it here, even if you didn't spawn with it.
- The whitelist of "this can become this" would need to be changed so you can't just disguise anything. Thankfully there's a big set of plain ol' jumpsuits there!
- Items like the High-Tech Pod skin might necessitate a Pod Paint Kit vendor near the pod bay (but let's be honest, having more pod paint kits would be better in general. Maybe for reward-havers, the vendor just shows it in the list with "FREE" or something.)

There are some cases where reskinning an item on demand isn't a big issue (e.g. the Round-Bottom Flask reward), and making someone visit the closet for that seems excessive, though, but that's one of the few cases I can think of; some other others would have to be added to round-start spawns like the Flower Scrubs for doctors, though that might not be a big issue depending.
I like this suggestion and always thought claiming certain outfits mid shift was very cheap. Or you could limit the claiming to the first 5 minutes of the shift or 5 minutes of arrival (if possible).
Not sure if I get you right. Once you have the malf skin medal, you are forced to use it and cant use the default one anymore?

But yeah, I guess a few of the tranformations shouldnt be possible, e.g. biohood to colorful beret, vape-o-matic mask to gas mask.
Cant think of any other cheaty ones. Maybe NASSA suit with racing suit?
(07-01-2019, 09:51 AM)The Gorog Wrote: Not sure if I get you right. Once you have the malf skin medal, you are forced to use it and cant use the default one anymore?

But yeah, I guess a few of the tranformations shouldnt be possible, e.g. biohood to colorful beret, vape-o-matic mask to gas mask.
Cant think of any other cheaty ones. Maybe NASSA suit with racing suit?

you can actually switch to/from.the malf ai skin freely once you redeem the reward by changing your ai status; it just sets you to the status by default on redemption
I'd say this is a good idea.
As long as I no longer have to click like 4 windows just to get my snazzy satchel yes please.
I like. Very convenient.
Starting with things like the satchel and med/sci labcoat would be a huge improvement, though I feel like the satchel is as harmless as the flask. You might find a nicer backpack mid round, like the NT-SO one through telesci.
I'm going to go on complete tangent here, so forgive this effort post. 

So currently you have numerous ways of "purchasing things"

You have the medal rewards. 
You have the "Credits" which allows you to purchase gimmick items on spawn.  
You have the job rewards (which is only Janitor right now but w/e)
You also have the DD rewards in-game which are rewarded for buying DD via a golden ticket.
Then you have actual in-game currency 

This in my humble opinion is all disjointed and really needs to be amalgamated into one cohesive system. How do you go about this? Two methods:

1. Direct medal rewards and Preround credit items to an in-game vending machine. Tie in DD tickets and your all set!

How? 
Medal rewards/Preround credits are tied in directly with your ID. When you slot the ID in, it will allow you to purchase (for free) your reward, if and only if you have that unlocked and can only be done once. The Preround credits still exist, but you need to redeem it at the machine. 
The machine also accepts money so you can purchase these items at an inflated price.
The machine also has DD golden ticket items (everything is amalgamated) and by getting a DD golden ticket, it acts effectively like a free purchase as outlined above (entitling you to one item)
Why?
Amalgamation of the disjointed systems. It ties in the DD tickets so that they see potential use. It ties in credits also which means items can be potentially bought if you have the dollah. It also removes a ton of issues outlined in the OP. 

2. The job rewards should be redeemed through QM. 

How?
When you do your job correctly, you receive a PDA ping that you've received a bonus. This bonus = value of an "upgraded crate". This upgraded crate, as indicated, will contain items which would be superior/different/cooler looking than your own (see Janitor rewards). This can be redeemed numerous times throughout a round, if one is doing particularly good. 
Why? 
Cash is king baby. This encourages players to do their job. It encourages credits being important, they don't have to spend their bonus on better equipment. It doesn't restrict a player to do their job correctly either, it's a far more open ended and intuitive system.
(07-10-2019, 09:36 AM)Sundance Wrote: Medal rewards/Preround credits are tied in directly with your ID. 
(...)
When you do your job correctly, you receive a PDA ping that you've received a bonus. 

Not everyone has IDs or PDAs

this message brought to you by Stowaway Gang
(07-10-2019, 02:26 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote:
(07-10-2019, 09:36 AM)Sundance Wrote: Medal rewards/Preround credits are tied in directly with your ID. 
(...)
When you do your job correctly, you receive a PDA ping that you've received a bonus. 

Not everyone has IDs or PDAs

this message brought to you by Stowaway Gang

shockedpikachuface.png
While I like these Ideas, I have some serious concerns, lets say things like the reward for bombinis rescue, or the monthly contest rewards, how would these come into play? One of them you can't even claim while living.
I like your post! I don't agree with it (see below), but I wanted to let you know that I appreciate the ideas and feedback, so thank you for your input.

(07-10-2019, 09:36 AM)Sundance Wrote: You have the medal rewards. 
You have the "Credits" which allows you to purchase gimmick items on spawn.  
You have the job rewards (which is only Janitor right now but w/e)
You also have the DD rewards in-game which are rewarded for buying DD via a golden ticket.
Then you have actual in-game currency 

Some of these are disjointed, but for a good reason. DD stuff is straight up a reward for consuming literal poison.

Medals and job rewards are both rewards; spacebux are a single reward you try to keep with you and often a gimmick that wouldn't make sense to get mid-round (like the alternate races).

Quote:1. Direct medal rewards and Preround credit items to an in-game vending machine. Tie in DD tickets and you're all set!

How? 
Medal rewards/Preround credits are tied in directly with your ID. When you slot the ID in, it will allow you to purchase (for free) your reward, if and only if you have that unlocked and can only be done once. The Preround credits still exist, but you need to redeem it at the machine. 
The machine also accepts money so you can purchase these items at an inflated price.
The machine also has DD golden ticket items (everything is amalgamated) and by getting a DD golden ticket, it acts effectively like a free purchase as outlined above (entitling you to one item)
Why?
Amalgamation of the disjointed systems. It ties in the DD tickets so that they see potential use. It ties in credits also which means items can be potentially bought if you have the dollah. It also removes a ton of issues outlined in the OP. 

Issues:
- Sometimes you don't get an ID, either by not spawning with one, having it stolen, etc, so this is right out. But beyond that, this could also lead to other people ganking your card and getting (more) ill-gotten gains from it.
- Some of the items really shouldn't be accessible mid-round, like the Lizard / Skeleton races, or the potato limbless purchase. Also, money in-game is largely worthless in that you either have nowhere near enough to buy what you want or you have more money than Scrooge McDuck.
- The Spacebux items vary wildly in price, so just one DD ticket getting you an item is kinda silly. Same with allowing cash to buy special DD rewards.

Quote:2. The job rewards should be redeemed through QM. 

How?
When you do your job correctly, you receive a PDA ping that you've received a bonus. This bonus = value of an "upgraded crate". This upgraded crate, as indicated, will contain items which would be superior/different/cooler looking than your own (see Janitor rewards). This can be redeemed numerous times throughout a round, if one is doing particularly good. 
Why? 
Cash is king baby. This encourages players to do their job. It encourages credits being important, they don't have to spend their bonus on better equipment. It doesn't restrict a player to do their job correctly either, it's a far more open ended and intuitive system.

Issues:
- How do you determine when someone "does their job correctly"?
- What if that person has no PDA or ID?
- What if there is no QM, or QM has been shut down/destroyed/blown up/whatever?
- What stops you from getting a cash bonus and then having the HoP/AI/whoever immediately steal it?
- What happens when the payroll budget runs out of funds?
- This already is a problem with the Job EXP system, but how do you handle someone who joins as X but ends up doing work in roles Y and Z?
Alright guys you tore my Idea 1 to ribbons, back to the drawing board with that one. The concept is still out there, which branches off "Rewards Closet" idea in the OP, which of all the ideas there would be the best way to proceed.

Regards Idea 2, I think there's still some merit here that's worth discussing. From now on I'm referring to my idea as the "Bonus system"

Quote:How do you determine when someone "does their job correctly"?

This question is actually separate to my idea and encompasses issues with the Job Rewards as a whole. 

There's some jobs in which tracking activities could entitle to rewards (aside from Janitor, Botany picking crops would be one, Chef making food items is another).

But it kind of falls apart when it comes to other jobs, such as medical in how they can game the system, etc. A pop-up tracking system wouldn't work with that. There's also the case with Engineering and the PTL which effectively IS their job reward.. and that's why I suggested making it a bonus system because it opens up multiple ways of determining supplementary income. 

Basically, there's no panacea for Job Rewards, there needs to be multiple approaches in determining - but the end result should be that someone gets an item that makes them better at their job. The best way to go about this would be, in my eyes, through QM.

Some floating ideas:

- Chef/Botany/Janitor/Barman can have some form of tracking system with regards output. Do things = Money. Geneticists could also have a way of being tracked.
- Engineering already has a way of making money and being good at their job, they just need engineering things to buy in QM to match this.
- QM already has a way of making money. They are the money. Them making money is already a good determination of them doing their job.
- Medical needs a clear cut way of making money. More organs = more organ harvesting = more money, but that should be a side gig as it doesn't really determine if they do their job "correctly". Pathological research could be tracked also. 
- Research has ways of getting money, artifact research is one. Telescience can be lucrative. Toxins could have a $$$ output in some way, not sure on Chem.
- Mining could be tracked in terms of X amount of mats they have processed.
- Security could receive a bonus from the Cap/HoS through a once off PDA app. This is unique as it's based of judgment of another rather than operation of an individual. Worth looking into imo
- Mechanics/Robotics needs a method, ideas are a little barren on that front.

Quote:What if that person has no PDA or ID?

For the PDA, you can buy one with your chump money, they're in vending machines. Failing that you can ask the HoP, who has many spares. There's PDAs galore on the station. It's also not a requirement for you to have a PDA to receive your bonus. It just pings you to let you know you have.

For the IDs, I do sympathize here as ID theft is already crippling enough. A way around this would be for some systems to be linked to your fingerprints, rather than your ID itself. The ID should only really be for authenticating things where your role is required (sec computer/medical vending/commaster/etc). If you want to work your ATM and/or buy something from QM, swiping your hand would not only quicken things up but also alleviate the damage done by ID theft.

Did someone rob your arms and is now stealing all your money? Well tbh if you're missing one or more of your arms, you should have greater things to worry about.

Quote:What if there is no QM, or QM has been shut down/destroyed/blown up/whatever?

I mean, this could really be applied to anything in the game. What happens if X blows up Y? Well then, you have no more Y and you should be very annoyed at X.
Does the AI get request pings like the QM? The AI should really act as a stop-over for QM requests if there is no QM present.
Aside from this, you could have a z-level trader that also sells job upgrade items at higher margin if QM is a complete void.

Quote:  What stops you from getting a cash bonus and then having the HoP/AI/whoever immediately steal it?

Nothing. You get mad and go to your union rep. 

This is unlikely to happen from a logistic point. The HoP/AI/whoever is far far more likely to steal from the budget than to go to your account, it's not worth the effort unless they've amassed a shit ton of money through the PTL or spent their day on the slots. Grand theft is a serious crime tho and that's a topic of discussion if you wish for me to expand?

Quote:What happens when the payroll budget runs out of funds?

This is an easy answer that I really should've clarified - the bonus system adds to the budget, not takes it away. This means players doing their job not only benefits the station - but the budget also. 

Quote: This already is a problem with the Job EXP system, but how do you handle someone who joins as X but ends up doing work in roles Y and Z?

And this is where the bonus system can fix some of the Job Exp system's issues. If a player does role X and instead does role Y but wants the the bonuses of Y, then this could be done through the HoP. This is right down the HoP's alley.

For jobs that are outside the means of bonuses (such a gimmick jobs like boxers/journalists/etc) then a bonus can be applied via the HoP also. This is different, in that it would take away from the budget (to prevent the HoP from spamming bonuses to some bogus account and creating imaginary money). This gives some agency to the HoP, which is sorely needed.

Hope this clears things up!