Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Operating table monitoring computer improvements
I think the operating table computer right now has zero utility and just takes up valuable real estate in medbay. For those that don't know, it just does a basic health scan for the person on the connected operating table.

I'm not exactly sure what the right way to go is to get it going in the right direction. But I have a few (conflicting) ideas:

1. Have the computer display the scan results every few seconds to everyone within a 2 or 3 tiles of it. So you'll have the surgeon, patient, and observers can be informed.

2. When examining the computer, it should display the scan results to your chat like an upgraded health analyzer will. So you don't need to have prodoc plus health glasses on.

3. Remove the computer all together, put the above functionality into operating tables. (Maybe would have to change the operating table sprite to make it easier to click when occupied)

4. Make the computer into some sort of moveable ekg machine that you can attach to any operating table and provide the above functionality.

5. (This one is kinda out there, and maybe it would be too close to cryo) Clicking the computer should open up a menu that would let you put reagents into it to inject into the operating table over time like cryo. So you can easily pre-emptively put saline, salbutamol, mannitol, and salacylic acid into a patient without needing a bunch of hyposprays or syringes.

6. Allow the operating table to view what implants a patient has inside them with the computer when clicked. Maybe you'd have to click a button to scan for it.
I'd go for option 1, maybe only beeping it out if the health changes since the last time it was beeped out.

There are very few operating computers around as it is, and there's not a lot of space to add additional ones if the computer is upgraded. Meanwhile, clicking the operating table itself is a bit weird (it's technically a table, so you set things down on it).

If it was possible to have the results appear over the table, akin to how dousing rods work on Oshan, that'd be pretty neat, though I know only the numbers 1 through 20 are sprited.
I think option 1 makes the most sense. I can see something like:

Dr Medical Man makes an incision!
The scalpel slips!
The medical computer beeps, "ALERT: Bleeding detected!"
The medical computer beeps, "ALERT: Brute damage detected!"

Basically acting like an automated health scanner that alerts everyone around the table when something changes. It also makes surgery much more dramatic for people watching it. Just like ER!
1, 2 and 6 - with a touch of 5
Have it beep out super basic health info on a regular basis, perhaps just %health, with an additional line specifying which of the 4 damage types is critical if they're in red or below.

Examine gives full prodoc output + implants

(modified 5) : clicking the computer with a pill or patch oughta take it from your hand, and start a progress bar (let's say twice as long as manually doing it) to apply it to the patient. So you can grab your cryoheal pill, jam it into the computer, and run off to get a new heart somewhere
Beeping out only the basic health % and critical health might not be very useful, because the majority of the time it's just going to complain about brute -- after all, it is a surgery table.

Examining giving the full readout + chems + implants would be nice, though. But again, I'm thinking of this as part of the operating table itself.

---

Quote:4. Make the computer into some sort of moveable ekg machine that you can attach to any operating table and provide the above functionality.

This could perhaps be tied into sleepers? Sleepers as an immobile (but more efficient version) that beep out status updates, while these could be moved around to any ol' bed (or chair) to monitor other patients.

On that note, maybe it'd make the floor health scanners more useful if they beeped out someone's health when stepping on them, instead of requiring you to examine a different object - especially since in most cases, with upgraded ProDoc, you'd easily get that information just by examining the person themselves.
> 5. (This one is kinda out there, and maybe it would be too close to cryo) Clicking the computer should open up a menu that would let you put reagents into it to inject into the operating table over time like cryo. So you can easily pre-emptively put saline, salbutamol, mannitol, and salacylic acid into a patient without needing a bunch of hyposprays or syringes.

Maybe something like an injector belt? Like "if BRUTE > 20 inject from tank-3" or "if HEART_ATTACK = 1 inject saline". It would start out with some basic medicines and templates for how to respond but similar to a chemical extractor it could have some empty ones you can change too. You could even trap it by filling the tank for saline with prions and setting the default to inject "if HEART_ATTACK != 2 inject".