Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Suggest sprites for the revamping of wiki buttons!
Big Grin 
These are the wiki's current main buttons:

[Image: 9lwjCNo.png]

All the sprites hold a lot of sentimentality and memories, but they're slightly outdated, and it's time for a change. Thus, we're calling for new sprites, submitted by players! They can be of your character or someone else's (as long as you get their permission), and the the requirements are that they're 64x64px (probably take a picture of your character on a tile and scale that tile square to 64x64?), have a transparent background, and fit the criteria for the category you're submitting for. There are no guarantees; it's up to admin discretion which ones to add, or if to not add any. If you have any questions about the criteria, feel free to ask.

Getting Started: Gotta be in a standard staff assistant's getup. No extra frills or fanceries; no, not even insulated gloves.  

Rules: Gotta be in a security getup. Specifics are up to you. 

FAQ: Gotta look helpful and knowledgeable. Basically it.

Guides: Also gotta look helpful and knowledgeable. 

Jobs: Gotta be wearing a specific job's uniform and gear. 

Maps: Gotta look kinda like an explorer or adventurer? I dunno.

Game Modes: Gotta look obviously related to a gamemode; nuke ops, wizards, etc.

Constructions: Gotta look like you build stuff.

Items: Gotta be an (or holding an) iconic item.

Wikistation: Also gotta look like you build stuff. Or write stuff. Or something.

Fun: Gotta be a clown. Honk.

Changelog: This one is real good already, so yours has to be even better. Pretty difficult feat.

Thanks so much for your help!  queen greater domestic space-bee
A basic Dr. Floorpills for "getting started."

Attached Files Image(s)

[Image: unknown.png]
Who better to be map man than the intrepid explorer himself, John Bill ?
[Image: b6tqbfR.png]
For gamemodes, features an operative in the pretty new armor that Gannets drew with an RPG and a red toy sword standing in front of a nuke! If that's too busy looking I also included a version without the nuke.
[Image: ef9zGFz.png]
Dibs on FAQ
Changelog has to remain a changeling with a list, that's all I request.
I have a couple things here.

After a process of experimenting with various combinations of clothing, nothing quite seemed to overcome a certain fondness for the conventional HoS attire, but sprites have changed over the years. Here's a submission for the Rules category.

[Image: NA1fn1e.png]

What's important here is that the current image does not have the beret, and it's kind of embarrassing to leave a mistake like that sitting out on the main page for so long.

In thinking about the Items position I figured I'd bring up the topic of Gnome Chompski. He's got it all, his sprite is distinct, he's been around, and he's a relic to the assistants. For an item sprite alone, I would suggest him. The mentioned prospect of having a person represent the items category did inspire me to play some dress up, though. Just look how pretty they turned out!

[Image: LROOmiB.png]

If a person's to represent the items category, then that person ought to be a piled on assemblage of one-of-a-kind or highly desirable items, and so we have this beautiful character. Putting this together in-game was pretty fun.
Check out this really wise-looking wizard.

[Image: 4iiPSnT.png]

Looks like someone with a lot of knowledge, like someone that could guide you on your quest, someone who would provide guidance, some sort of guide, some sort of character that could represent guidance and guides.
(07-08-2019, 02:03 PM)Bologna Prime Wrote: Check out this really wise-looking wizard.

Looks like someone with a lot of knowledge, like someone that could guide you on your quest, someone who would provide guidance, some sort of guide, some sort of character that could represent guidance and guides.

If they're so wise, where's their hat?!
I just realized, just now, that the maps sprite is supposed to be George Melons

A shameful Pacra
(07-08-2019, 05:39 PM)Flourish Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 02:03 PM)Bologna Prime Wrote: Check out this really wise-looking wizard.

If they're so wise, where's their hat?!

Green wizards only get hoods, and it can't be wise to confine incredible hair like that under a hood.
The Guide icon should be one of the tourbuddies, imo
I've made some drafts of the new menu with the sprites used in this spread. I'll first take a moment to explain what I changed or kept the same and why.

Getting Started: I like the current assistant image, but the image of Dr. Floorpills in the assistant setup looks just as great. Couldn't decide, so some of the following drafts use the old image, some use Sartorious's.

Rules: Couldn't decide on whether to use Bologna's beret HoS or the old peaked cap HoS, so half of the drafts use the former while the other uses the latter. Keep in mind, there is a HoS with a beret on the Rules and main HoS page, and the Jobs page uses a gif that alternates between the two hats. Personally, I think the gif looks pretty weird on the main menu, but how many of you think otherwise?

Guides: Is "roboticist with skunk stripe" one of the things you think of when you think of "guides"? Me neither. Should be no surprise Bologna's sagely wiz with the wiseman beard made the cut.

Maps: The old version's "George Melons griefing up yo' station/map" schtick was kinda clever, but if you were a newbie with no idea who they were, you'd most likely think they were just some psychotic murderer who's on the maps button because he hunts the maps for more victims. As a bus driver, Warcrimes's John Bill actually looks like they've seen and been to plenty of places, or at least less like someone who just drained all the blood out of someone with a glass shard.

Game Modes: The old scuba-diver-esque nuke op will always have a place in my heart, but I recognize it's out of date and has to be let go. Both versions of Flab's op are good, and the drafts use both.

Items: The blue toolbox is beautiful and absolutely iconic, but I really fell in love with's Bologna's maniac of a collector. The color palette is all over the place, but that's absolutely perfect for a collector of the strange.

Fun, Changelog, Wikistation, Construction, Jobs, FAQ: Nobody's offered any images for these guys, so they stay. I personally think they're fine as is, though I think a new picture wouldn't hurt for FAQ. "Guy with a clipboard" does indeed look like someone who knows a lot of answers to things, and that goes with page all about answering common questions, but I can't help but feel that there could be something better.

In addition, I've resized the images to 64x64. Not only do they look less blurry and overall better, but since they function as links, that also means the buttons are bigger so, which I think is a plus. The images can't quite fit on the forum, but it works better on the imgur gallery, where you can click on the images to see their true size.

Without much further ado, the draft images, sorted by which image they use. Do tell which one(s) look(s) best. 

Nuclear Operative with Bomb for Game Modes
Dr. Floorpills for Getting Started, Beret HoS for Rules
[Image: AUhI6zb.png]
Dr. Floorpills for Getting Started, Cap HoS for Rules
[Image: QOoODcW.png]
Old Assistant for Getting Started, Beret HoS for Rules
[Image: A1JXAnK.png]
Old Assistant for Getting Started, Cap HoS for Rules
[Image: z6ECPzr.png]
Nuclear Operative without Bomb for Game Modes
Dr. Floorpills for Getting Started, Beret HoS for Rules
[Image: wVmmN1v.png]
Dr. Floorpills for Getting Started, Cap HoS for Rules
[Image: r1MSOud.png]
Old Assistant for Getting Started, Beret HoS for Rules
[Image: hMo5Qdh.png]
Old Assistant for Getting Started, Cap HoS for Rules
[Image: 7ck9wFL.png]
Those are really good, Studenterhue! I like 5 the most. Which one is your personal favorite? Do you think we should put this to a vote and then change the wiki accordingly?
I couldn't decide, so I don't really have a favorite, but #1 & #5 (all the new icons basically) just slightly win out. Floorpills' 'fro adds a nice splash of cover, and Bologna's beret HoS tooks a bit more badass than the cap version. On the other hand, the old Ass64.png assistant is a classic, and I think the cap HoS has a bit more authoritarian vibe than the beret HoS--fitting for a Rules section.

I was thinking of making a strawpoll or something for the options later, but pretty quickly forgot about it. I'd be happy with a forum poll here.