Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Wizard Spell / Feature - Talking Hat
Consider the common wizarding hat. It is a vital component of spellcasting, and has a pointy bit, but in other areas it's a bit lacking. It doesn't glow in the presence of the chaplain, it doesn't emit a thin column of smoke, it doesn't insult people, it lacks the vital element the wizard scholars have named pizzáz.

Enter: The Archchancellor's Cap
(name subject to change)

[Image: 0DElSyH.gif]

Far more personable than your ordinary headgear, the Archchancellor's Cap has been worn by some of the most powerful wizards in history. And currently, it is one of the most powerful wizards in history, whose spirit is stuck in this pointy prison. This renders them unable to use most of their powers, but they're happy enough to give advice to newer wizards.

[Image: Mq1MdL5.gif]What Do It Do?[Image: Mq1MdL5.gif]

The hat has two "forms". In its normal form, it is functionally identical to a normal wizard hat when worn from a gameplay standpoint. It always spawns on the wizard shuttle. However, it can -and will - talk a lot. You can right click on the hat to ask from a list of questions. These questions would include:

"What spells should I choose?"
"How do I cast my spells?"
"What does my robe/staff/hat do?"
"What does Mugwort Tea do?"
"What are the beans for?"
"I lost my robe/staff/hat!"
"Do you have any advice for me?"

This would allow the hat to serve as a lore-friendly tutorial/source of advice for people who are unfamiliar with wizard. For example, when asked what spells you should take, it could say:

"That depends on what kind of mischief you want to get up to! Teleport is always useful for getting around, but don't forget you have a scroll with a few charges of it! If you're looking to rob and burgle, Knock is the spell for you. If you prefer to leave the fighting to someone else, Summon Golem will let you create your own army.

When the station sees what you're up to, they'll quickly form a mob. I'd say you'll want some way of dealing with crowds. Ice Burst is always good for slowing them down, and Rathen's Secret will give them something to remember you by. Of course, if you're not worried about things getting violent, a Fireball or Prismatic Spray will do some real damage.

If you're looking to take out a single target, then Shocking Touch or Baleful Polymorph are very reliable. Some wizards also used to practice the dark Clown arts of ....never mind, forget I said anything.

Have a good rummage through the spellbook - there are spells for everything. Soulguard is always a good choice if you're worried about slipping up. Just don't bind your soul to a magical hat. Trust me on this one."

You can wear the hat as a normal wizard hat and take it with you if you want to ask it questions on the go.

[Image: 0roXHJ7.png]Powering Up[Image: 0roXHJ7.png]

The second form of the hat is unlocked by choosing the Archchancellor's Return enchantment from the spellbook( Unlocks some of the original wizarding power of the hat!). This spell functions much like the Staff of Cthulu, empowering the hat with a few extra abilities. If the hat isn't present when you choose the spell, it is automatically placed on your head.

Like the staff, this allows the wizard to recall the hat to them at any time. Like the normal magical hat, it is tricky to remove, but unlike the normal hat it will actively bite people who try to pick it up or drag it, causing brute damage and possibly bleeding.

Additionally, the empowered hat can be used the same way as the det-gadget hat, storing all sorts of wizard items inside (mugwort tea, beans, spare robe, spare staff (hey, it's magical), booze, teleport scroll, spellbook). Can be summoned by saying "Abraca-item name" . There is a small chance that removing an item from the hat spawns a critter, cloud of smoke, or empty bottle of wine.

One key feature of the hat is it's reaction to being splashed with reagents. If it is splashed with a substance that would normally cause a hat to melt, it instead 'reflects' the splash effect and applies it to the attacker's face:

The Archchancellor's Cap swallows the liquid whole, and spits it back!
The Archchancellor's Cap says, "Hah! How does that taste!"

Other substances splashed on the hat also have a chance (50%?) to be swallowed, but not spat back. Instead, the hat will store them and later drop them at the wearer's feet, inside of a beaker. This allows for the wizard to use it for golem summoning or any other purpose.

The Archchancellor's Cap says, "Oof...that's better out than in"  

The empowered version of the cap can also retaliate to physical attacks on the wearer with minor versions of some regular wizard spells. This has a long (5 minute) cooldown, and only casts the nerfed version of the spell (same as the wizard trying to cast with no staff). The spells it can cast are:

Magic Missile
Ice Burst
Blind
Summon Golem (this version only summons golems made from regular booze - wine, beer, vodka etc).

Finally, the empowered hat is quite talkative, and will point out various potential threats that it sees nearby:

"Off to the chapel with you, god-botherer! There'll be plenty of ghosts to talk to soon enough!"
"Don't you redshirts have anything better to do? Like stuffing a clown into the disposals?"
"Drop that stun baton, Philip Farmer, or we'll give you something to be really shocked about"
"Don't think I don't see that zipgun, Bill Shit!"
"Feeling lucky today, Donald Gabs? I've never lost a duel, especially not to a primitive phaser like that"

----

I came up with this dumb idea after I had my hat melted off in my last wiz round (should have brought a spare hat, but I had lost my backpack). I like the idea of a "passive" spell slot spent on something like the Staff of Cthulu if you're paranoid about losing your hat. The staff can robust people, but you can't really beat people up with a hat, so I thought of other shit a magical hat could do and went down this rabbit hole. If my idea for the empowered hat is garbage, then hopefully the sprite could still be used to just make a new friend for the wizard.

I have no coding skills at all, but if any coder does feel like implementing it then I'm happy to provide more hat dialogue. 

Other ideas in no particular order
-the hat could have a random name each round
-you can give the hat a cigarette?!
-the hat sneaks booze out of your inventory
- if two wizards have the hat it will comment "hey, nice hat" [Image: qcAe7Hk.png]

I have made a dmi file for the icons and I THINK I didn't completely fuck it up. Please let me know if this idea seems good...or bad!!!

Attached Files
.dmi   archhat.dmi (Size: 2.2 KB / Downloads: 133)
A better solution to the hat being melted would not be immunity to acid application, but being able to resummon the hat to your head even after it's destroyed and even while wearing no hat, with a 3-5 minute cooldown. That gives you some protection from acid melting your hat, while still giving crew an opportunity to actually finish you off if you get downed and hat melted.

I love the idea of it being used to store items though, that sounds hilarious.
I love everything about this idea, I just would like the empowered version to be a fair cost, it does quite a lot, and should cost accordingly.
Exactly what Tewf said, idea sounds amazing
I'm not sure what a "fair cost" would be, given that it uses up one of your 4 spell points. Going from 1 to 2 cost would be a huge change - is the hat really worth more than two of the any other spells put together?

If it is too powerful then some of the abilities could be removed or tweaked. Maybe the acid spitting thing could be on a cooldown, so if you have enough acid on hand then the wizard is forced to back off until i can be resummoned.