Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tutorial area for new players
Currently, new players are summarily dumped into the game without any assistance. The wiki has a "quickstart" guide, but it isn't part of the game proper, and to use it you have to cross-reference it while looking at the game.

I would suggest a tutorial be added to the main menu, and automatically run for a new player's first round:

- Small virtual-type area, either instanced or with a few copies for multiple people
- No way to interact with the "real world"
- A few basic tasks to complete before being respawned to the main menu to join the round for real

The task layout I'm thinking of:

Initial explanation overlays, click to advance:
- Overlay pointing to your mob
- Overlay with basic WASD controls
- Overlay pointing to the health indicator with a brief explanation (green good, red bad)
- Overlay pointing to the inventory area at the bottom

Then some basic tasks:

- How to talk (pushing T); progress by saying something
- How to speak over the radio (overlay explaining ; and Y)
- How to interact with things (click on a button to open a door)
- How to pick up and equip an item (task: pick up a backpack on the ground and equip it)
- How to get an item out of the backpack (take out 100 credits)
- How to interact using items (insert money into the vendor and buy something)

Finally, a final popup explaining the basics of how the intent and target selectors work (basically just some infographics on "help intent helps people, harm makes you punch people, etc")

Then a "continue to actual game" button to exit the tutorial and respawn.

There would also be an "Skip / Exit Tutorial" button for those who already know how to play, but also to enable people to use the character setup tools and preview how their mob/traits look without committing to them. (Change, tutorial mode, exit, repeat).

One for borgs could also be produced with some simple explanations on how to use borg controls.

The main goal of this is to provide a safe area where new players can get familiar with the controls, without having to rely on reading a wiki page.
Maybe it should be themed around signing up at a NT recruitment office with serious undertones of "This is a sponsored ad by Nanotrasen"

OH and most importantly this should be an option instead of mandatory, maybe have it normally at the bottom of the main menu list, along with a popup for new players
I'd want it to be mandatory for first-timers but in the sense that once you enter it you can just hit "skip" and then you never have to see it again
(06-20-2019, 07:02 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: Tutorial server that allows respawning and has no traitors would be cool
I have something like this already started. I have no projected completion date at this time.
Maybe sort of lobby area before you join the round proper, where you do all your tweaking of job preferences and appearance using in game equipment?

Have a path that take you through training, and at the end it tells you a code to use to join the round. Experienced players could just immediately enter the code
^ I like this one, this is cool
I feel like some jobs (primarily those in science and engineering) maybe shouldn't get a tutorial area beyond the bare bones basics since the main challenge is doing experimental things without killing everybody.
Well I'd assume that it'd be for teaching them how to use the machines only, everything else would be up to them
I think it would be neat if the tutorial included a not so obvious portion that basically set up new players to understanding goon secrets.

Like a false wall with a note behind it.

"You find an employment application for Goonstation, several letters appear to have been circled to spell out THEY LIE, TRUST NO ONE."

Maybe not that mentally scarring, but something that gives credit to those with a keen eye.