Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
[Feature] Artifact names, scroll of identification.
[Image: identifyDetail.png] (sprite provided by Kubius)

Zamujasa recently noticed during one of the rounds that artifacts have unused internal names. Delving into the code made apparent that there's a whole random name generation system for artifacts that is never seen in-game. It's very well thought-out with different kinds of artifacts having different naming patterns(eldritch artifacts have sinister-sounding names like "blood of father yrangoth", while the robot artifacts can have a name like "unit epsilon-z 255" and a precursor artifact could have a name of "neutrino stabilizer".

This patch introduces two things:
  1. When an artifact is activated, the internal name mentioned takes place of the artifact's name.
  2. A new item to Vurdalak's inventory: a scroll of identify that when used on an artifact, reveals its name, type and method of activation, along with some useless silly interactions when used on humans.
[Image: unknown.png]

This would add more flavor to artifacts as well as interesting gameplay opportunities, allowing a player to for example to identify a bomb artifact beforehand and plan where and how to activate it, or letting the players solve the mystery of an artifact that just refuses to activate. It also gives the shipping department more opportunities: quartermasters can cooperate with science by making their job easier with the new item, or use it for themselves along with the miners for example to identify artifacts acquired from mining or scavenged using cargo/mining pods.

Functionality-wise everything works properly on the 2016 version and any bugs that popped up have been resolved(at the very least I could not identify any).
I'm not very familiar with coding in DM, so there could or could not be inefficient code the pointing out of would be appreciated as the whole ordeal was a learning experience.

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...6/pull/140
I think it's frickin amazing that this codebase has ancient forgotten features crafted by makers of old. I almost expect that delving too deep would awaken some kind of unknowable monster that destroys the minds of all who witness. (or was that atmos?)
This needs more attention and should be added
1+
what to heck, this is amazing
+1
I NEED IT
This seems. . . really useful
Wow add it
Yes please.
Please.