Leiningen Ant's HOS Application
Usual character name: Leiningen Ants
BYOND username: CzarBomba
Recommended by (if applicable):
Goon servers you play:

Reason for application: 

While I haven't played under an HoS since taking up sec, my first real memorable round with one was when I tried to pickpocket gun Old Man Jenkins while hiding in a bush. I successfully grabbed his PDA + ID out of his pocket, ran away, and a few seconds later was promptly tasered down by Old Man Jenkins, stripped and tossed in the brig for a few. While it wasn't exactly fun, I grew to respect the red beret of the HoS that day. 

However lately, there haven't been any active heads of security, and I feel like that's detrimental for the server. Bad security can often be worse than antags, and without an HoS, security officers are often stuck deciding what to do with antags since the cap/hop often get killed early into the round or simply disappear and never respond. While I never learned sec from Old Man Jenkins, I want to become an HoS so I can help teach new sec members how to be fun security officers and not badsec. Teamwork is absolutely paramount for security, and quality security helps ensure that rounds are fun and dynamic instead of one-dimensional rampages. While I've been doing that over the past few weeks as sec off/sec HoP, but I feel like I could more effectively lead and teach people with the HoS title. 

Security experience (300 word minimum):

I've found the role of sec to be the most fun, yet difficult roles in the game since not only do you sometimes have to go after hyper robust players, usually to your own peril, but every round is different, and ultimately, security is one of the highest impact roles on the round. If security goes too hard on the antags, it ultimately leads to stagnant drawn out rounds where no one has fun. If security is non-existent, traitors will usually ruin others' fun by rampaging and indiscriminately killing. If security is shitsec and being dicks to people then it's generally just a miserable experience for whoever they're bullying at the time. The best rounds that I've had are when there's a good balance between the antags and security that creates opportunities for other crew members to join in. While this isn't always possible depending on the antags and crew, good security tries to make sure everyone has fun during a round if possible. 

When it comes to my philosophy with sec, communication is key. If you're going to arrest someone because of a failed checkpoint or they have contraband, try to actually talk to the other player. A little bit of communication goes a long way in figuring out who's innocent and who's an actual antag. It's also at the heart of what makes sec work. Solid communication and coordination between sec officers is key to ensuring a fun round for everyone. I even try to extend that to discord. If I feel like I did something wrong, or I'm questioning a call I made during the round, I try to communicate with other players about it in discord to either reassure myself I made the right call or if I made the wrong call, get feedback on how I can be a better sec off.

When it crime and punishment, I tend to be lenient on my sentences. When I first started off as a sec off, I was terrible at punishments. However, I quickly realized the error of my ways after a few boring rounds. Since then, if I capture an antag, I'll typically try to leave them with options if at all possible while removing more unfun items like bombs or guns. When taking antags down, I always use non-lethal force if possible. A dead antag is a boring antag. Because of this, I don't believe any members of sec should use lethals unless they're dealing with rampagers (c-saber traitors/fireball wiz), lings, or vamps, and only after confirming it through fingerprint evidence or other means. Killing and removing a player from a round should always be the last option of a security officer. Most of the time it's better to try to capture antags alive, and do something fun like a trial instead of outright killing them. If they do have to die, I always make sure to try to borg them if there isn't a roboticist around to do it. We all play this game to have fun in our spare time, and being dead and out of a round isn't fun.

Answer two or more of the following:
What advice would you give to other sec players?
1) Learn to communicate effectively - Learn the common names for the different parts of the station. Call out suspicious behavior. Learn the uniforms for each role. Communicate with the crew. Crew members can often give you useful information on where your suspect might be. Most importantly, listen to other people. Listening is just important for solid communication as saying the right thing.
2) Learn the tools at your disposal - There's more to your toolkit than just your taser, baton, and handcuffs. Your PDA is one of your most powerful weapons because it gives you information. You can often ID an antag immediately from fingerprints or blood left behind at the scene of the crime.
3) Keep in mind, it's about everyone's fun, not just yours. Getting antag is somewhat uncommon, and people have limited time. Don't murder bone, someone, because they have an emag or something relatively benign.

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.

To be honest, there aren't any major differences. I tend to be a little bit more of a hardass, but most rounds I try to focus on major crimes. If I'm solo, I typically take a shoot first, ask questions later attitude with my taser. Once I've got them apprehended, I'll summon the port-a-brig to haul them back to security where I'll search, question, and decide on a punishment. I am a little bit faster to borg someone while solo, but it mostly comes down to prioritizing resources. You never know what people will pull off in SS13, and sometimes getting rid of a rampager is necessary if it's preventing you from stopping antags from removing others from the round.

Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.

Bombini is gone
Who took the fanciest bee?
We must find them soon

What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?

A crime points system where after getting so many points, you get executed. It's perfectly corruptable and exploitable for better or worse.

Frat sec - we could induct staff assistants into sec, run around being loud, and force people/antags to drink beer and eat pizza with us while shouting about FOOTBALL!

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): I'm unaware of any bans.
Great app, I think you'll be good. You evidently care enough to be good at it. +1
Always a pleasure to play sec with you. Relatively robust player, communicates well, and knows how to arrest players fairly. A +1 from me.
CzarBomba is knowledgeable about the game, and, I believe, really gets the station culture and how to strike the balance to squeeze the most fun out of rounds for everyone involved. In interactions with him out of game he has incisive comments and suggestions about the game; when ingame (I use randomized names for anonymity), he's approachable, helpful, and just generally fun to be around and interact with. When I've seen him as a sec officer, I find him levelheaded and even-handed. This is a +1 from me.
good app, good player, good poem.
+1
Leiningen has always been a helpful and fair Sec in my experiences +1
Always a good sec officer and I enjoyed the poem. +1
Approved!