Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is rp not good?
I have been playing goonstation specifically the roleplay for about a month now. I thought it was pretty good and I didn't really take it too seriously. The only roleplaying I do is only so that other people wouldn't have their rp ruined but I didn't really find anyone roleplaying hardcore in fact I can't even recall seeing a hardcore roleplayer. I didn't really see anyone playing it like real life either and the only real rp I do is not mentioning it is a game and also not mentioning the more gamey aspects. But I don't even remember seeing or at least don't remember seeing anyone who really roleplayed like they where in the world. I thought it was just a more chill and friendly version of goonstation that happend to have needs like other servers. But after seeing other people talk about it like the players who play it live in the world and take it too seriously it confused me. I wanted to post this cause I'm kinda new and want to know what other people think about this and if those saying that where joking or not.
Don't let other people affect what you want to do just because they have a negative outlook on things! If you enjoy RP, keep playing RP. Goon RP is supposed to be as chill or RP as you make it. There's some people who are more serious but from loooooong experience with RP communities nobody takes it overly/detrimentally seriously.
(11-05-2020, 08:04 PM)Leeanei Wrote: Don't let other people affect what you want to do just because they have a negative outlook on things! If you enjoy RP, keep playing RP. Goon RP is supposed to be as chill or RP as you make it. There's some people who are more serious but from loooooong experience with RP communities nobody takes it overly/detrimentally seriously.

Okay thank you Leeanei because I was still gonna play on on the server but it made me question how to play it although with you saying it can be what you want it reassures me and how I'm able to play my way and not have to bend over for aggressive server rules. The reason I played it was because it was more chill and there where less rude people but instead more experienced players I could ask for help that would lend a hand. I find the rp server community to be more mature and friendly overall so that's why I play on it.
I like the speed of the other server more, but from what I understand RP is just a place where you're expected to have more concern for how your play effects everyone else and the "scene" going on.
Currently RP is 83.1% good.
https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=14641
RP is 16.9% not good.
Smile 
I personally dont play RP because I like some of the game modes in the regular server which dont exist in RP.
The few times I played RP were fun too. They last longer. People do less griefing and less metagaming/powergaming.

I actually saw the RP server surpassing in pop the main server a few times this week.
I lean heavily towards serious, Heavy Roleplay:
* as a Medical Doctor I'd rather Roleplay and have my patient die, then save them silently
* I've picked a Purist Trait to help me act more appropriately to pain, violence and death
* you've noticed my account and character name are the same, as I see no difference between the two

However, not everyone wants to Roleplay all the time, so I negotiate before every interaction.
For example, when a patient enters into Medical:
* I drag them to a bed and shout "Lie down!"
* I shout which drug and how much I'll inject into the patient so other Doctors know what I'm doing
* when they recover I ask them "How are you feeling?"

If they get up, press their face against the doors and answer ok, it means they don't want to Roleplay. I let them out and wish them a good shift.
However, if they stay in bed, it means they want to Roleplay. I'll ask them "What happened?" or "Where does it hurt?" or "What's going on?".
From this point on, anything can happen. Here are just a few scenes from a few recent shifts:
* a clone swaps identity with another clone and doesn't know where or who they are

* clown with an existential crisis requires therapy because they doubt their dancing and singing skills
* a suicidal detective wants to kill themselves because they can't talk
* a martian ambassador needs treatment, but I can't understand a word they are saying
* an irradiated miner needs to be saved from an incompetent doctor who treats symptoms as if they are the root cause of the illness

Rest assured that there are a lot of us who take Roleplaying seriously. To find us, just give a cue that you'd like to Roleplay and we'll negotiate how silly or serious we want to make the scene. smile
No offence, but I don't want you as my doctor. At least in the sense that I'd rather live with a silent doctor than die with a doctor who talks too much. I do appreciate your efforts to RP with patients though.
in my opinion, RP, not just in SS13 but all games, sucks, is boring, and is lame. Play the game for the game and drop the lame backstories and nicknames. Goon's got the best features and codebase, and it's not really conducive to RP. Unless you're roleplaying a chef who makes glass shard and hotdog soup with urine, jenkem and vomit broth. Or a mad geneticist bent on creating a telikentic-hulk-frankenstein.
Then ya might wanna avoid the RP servers.........?