Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Possible monthly event: Obscure Map Day
Not sure if this has been suggested or done before.

Earlier today when I was looking at some of the map concepts that were never quite polished enough or had some design flaws, I had a thought: What if once per month we had an "Obscure Map Day" where we used some of the maps that for whatever reason aren't in the map vote pool.

My thought process behind this is three-fold:
  1. It might inspire people to try to make their own stations, "I could have my own map featured next month!"
  2. It would give up and coming map designers an easy way to get valuable feedback on the bugs or shortcomings of their map designs.
  3. It'd reinforce why we don't have these maps currently available when their inevitable design flaws show up.
Now of course not all of these maps may be fully functional, and that's why there should be a disclaimer saying so before each round starts.

Finally, I don't believe this should be an all day event. Perhaps the maps eligable should only be showcased once each.
Mystery Map Mondays, have from # time - # time where new and obscure maps are shown off
I like this idea
(06-13-2019, 03:07 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: Mystery Map Mondays, have from # time - # time where new and obscure maps are shown off

That's a decent name, but I don't know if this should be a weekly thing as it might get in the way of normal spaceman activities too much.
(06-13-2019, 08:41 AM)Podrick Equus Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 03:07 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: Mystery Map Mondays, have from # time - # time where new and obscure maps are shown off

That's a decent name, but I don't know if this should be a weekly thing as it might get in the way of normal spaceman activities too much.

Just toss in a random map to the vote rotation that day
The only downside I can see is keeping the old mystery maps up to date. And if they are up to date why are they not in rotation?
(06-14-2019, 03:43 AM)Erev Wrote: The only downside I can see is keeping the old mystery maps up to date. And if they are up to date why are they not in rotation?

This concisely hits the nail on the head. 
The level of effort required to keep them playable is high, and our seven main maps are already suffering somewhat. 

Now, all that said, there are mitigating factors.
Using the correct placeholders can help with portability, and a healthy lowering of expectations also helps. 
I don't think we have the manpower to get the deprecated maps up to "regular" playable standard, being feature complete and all - but, i *might* be able to bodge one or two up to the standard of "It compiles, that's all you get" for the upcoming AssJam13.
It won't be Cogmap polished, but it will more or less run. 
If that goes well, who knows what's in the future for gimmick maps?