Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
New Telescience proposal
Telescience now becomes an ender pearl throwing machine.
Instead of inputting three numbers into the computer, you now input four:
You can input horizontal direction (in degrees), power (in m/s) and vertical direction (in degrees) into the telescience computer, and where a theoretical "projectile" that would be affected only by a constant G (9.8 by default) which would be launched with those parameters you input would land, that would be the teleportation coordinate, with the launch base being a random coordinate ( subject to change ). Fourth number is Z-level. So it would sorta work like an artillery gun.
For horizontal direction 0 degrees is up ( north ) with 360 being the max, for vertical direction 0 degrees is parallel to the ground with 90 degrees being the max, and power can be some large arbitrary value, which is the base speed of the "projectile".

Example of how this system would work:
Lets say that the base launch coordinate of the teleporter is 50 50 on Z 1.
If you set the horizontal direction to 45, vertical direction to 45 and power to 14. The end coordinate would be (64, 64)
Let me go over how this math works -
i'm pretty sure there is a formula for this, but I'm too lazy to figure it out
Vertical Direction will now be simply aY, and base
Using vertical direction and power, we get a velocity vector (cos(aY),sin(aY))*power which is (cos(45),sin(45))*14 which is approximately (10,10)
Since G is 9.8 m/s^2, the "projectile" would land after approximately 2 seconds, because it would take approx 1 second to fully decelerate and the same time to land. ( acceleration is ~10 m/s^2 and velocity is ~10 m/s, so logically it takes 2 seconds for the velocity Y to become the opposite )
In those two seconds, the projectile travels 20 meters ( 2 seconds at 10 m/s ) This distance will now be simply labelled "len"
The time the "projectile" travels also could be used as teleporter delay, and then multiplied by the absolute Z-difference between station Z-level and wherever
you're launching + 1, for example.
You can calculate all of this using this: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/gjnco6mzjo

Now to get a vector with our specified horizontal direction ( aX ) we need to do the same thing we did earlier, just different numbers.
We get a vector (cos(aX),sin(aX))*len which is (cos(45),sin(45))*20 which is (14,14).
We add that vector to the vector of the base launch coordinate and get (64,64).
Easy as pie! (correct me if im wrong on any of the math)

A new feature that could make use of this could be a way for research to get more money into their research budget:
Centcomm supplies Research/the RD with a list of 3-dimensional coordinates and their Z-level values at shift-start/upon request (but with a cooldown), and telescience must launch trajectories that would pass through the designated points, or at least very close (could be something like +-1 from within the point on any of the axis, so if centcomm needs a trajectory that goes through 9, 3, 5, you  could make a trajectory that goes through 8, 4, 4 and still get money into the budget )
Perhaps let Research order a list of artifact coordinates using Research budget,  and making a trajectory that passes *exactly* through the coordinate and pressing receive would give Research a super-cool artifact ( but only once ) In fact, this can even be a seperate system for something like the experimental long-range teleport as a way for Research to gain money and artifacts, and leave old telescience intact.

There could be more random things other than Z levels and the base coordinate. For example, the G constant can be a random one, or the power/velocity would be a random fixed value each round. The possibilities are endless!
this is cool in a nerdy way but what would this actually achieve beyond making people even more scared of approaching telescience and need even more fumbly third party programs to do telescience effectively?

i've always felt telescience needs more transparency, not less, particularly a level of transparency that makes using third party tools much less necessary. Staring at a completely different computer window takes people out of the round while they're doing it (they're not engaged with the chat at all), leading to something like the "geneticist effect" where people just nerd out and ignore the chat/crew entirely.
What if it was like a different teleporter? Keeping the adventure zone one the same but having this too.
I think that having a different teleporter would make it handy. Perhaps a long-distance adventure zone only accessible via this? Like, making the long-range teleporter use this new function (possibly combined with the current quantum telescope) to access this new, extra-nerdy adventure zone.
(06-14-2019, 03:33 AM)aft2001 Wrote: I think that having a different teleporter would make it handy. Perhaps a long-distance adventure zone only accessible via this? Like, making the long-range teleporter use this new function (possibly combined with the current quantum telescope) to access this new, extra-nerdy adventure zone.

Yeah, I actually mentioned having this be a different teleporter.
An idea I just had: The long-range teleporter or a new teleporter altogether could use this, and using the quantum telescope or something could send the coordinates that you would need to process with the long-range tele in a way I described in the post to access a new zone. Or maybe just let it teleport goodies out of The Channel or something using this, like artifacts or maybe even crates full of dangerous contents, or some rare mobs?
In terms of the lore perspective kinda, I like the idea of this being an interdimensional teleportation system, where you are going into multiversal equivalents. go to a different version of cog1 populated with birds, where gold bars are considered worthless and litter the station.
(06-14-2019, 07:36 AM)Recusor Wrote: In terms of the lore perspective kinda, I like the idea of this being an interdimensional teleportation system, where you are going into multiversal equivalents. go to a different version of cog1 populated with birds, where gold bars are considered worthless and litter the station.

I still think any new non-AZ locations should be other planes of existence like the Discount Dan factory instead of physical areas that are just far away, so the shuttle and stuff means something. The only exception maybe would be if we ever get to go to those planets in the background Lavaland style.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the proposal that telescience math be changed to something akin calculating the trajectory path of a hypothetical bullet fired from the telescience lab to have it land in the desired location and establish a link?
(06-14-2019, 10:27 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the proposal that telescience math is be changed to something akin calculating the trajectory path of a hypothetical bullet fired from the telescience lab to have it land in the desired location and establish a link?

Well, now that others have chimed in - it would be better to add in another telesci machine that would do the math I outlined and leave normal telesci as it is, and potentially give this new machine greater rewards since the math is harder now.
But yes, you are correct.
(06-14-2019, 10:35 AM)drWoof Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 10:27 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the proposal that telescience math is be changed to something akin calculating the trajectory path of a hypothetical bullet fired from the telescience lab to have it land in the desired location and establish a link?

Well, now that others have chimed in - it would be better to add in another telesci machine that would do the math I outlined and leave normal telesci as it is, and potentially give this new machine greater rewards since the math is harder now.
But yes, you are correct.

Well if that's the case, sounds like a good way include a practical use of  toxins, making rocket fuel to power the projectiles launched
(06-13-2019, 01:36 PM)cyberTripping Wrote: this is cool in a nerdy way but what would this actually achieve beyond making people even more scared of approaching telescience and need even more fumbly third party programs to do telescience effectively?

i've always felt telescience needs more transparency, not less, particularly a level of transparency that makes using third party tools much less necessary. Staring at a completely different computer window takes people out of the round while they're doing it (they're not engaged with the chat at all), leading to something like the "geneticist effect" where people just nerd out and ignore the chat/crew entirely.

100% this.

Putting greater rewards behind harder maths would be fine, if this was a maths-based puzzle game. This is a game about being a spaceman on a space station interacting with your fellow spacemen, and all 'harder maths' means is that you spend even less time looking at the screen and even more time crunching numbers in a spreadsheet in another window.

Putting the best stuff behind that maths means there's an actual incentive to encourage anyone who figures out how to use it to keep it to themselves and not help out other people, because there's only so much good stuff to go around.
(06-14-2019, 09:43 PM)Roomba Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 01:36 PM)cyberTripping Wrote: this is cool in a nerdy way but what would this actually achieve beyond making people even more scared of approaching telescience and need even more fumbly third party programs to do telescience effectively?

100% this.

Putting greater rewards behind harder maths would be fine, if this was a maths-based puzzle game. This is a game about being a spaceman on a space station interacting with your fellow spacemen, and all 'harder maths' means is that you spend even less time looking at the screen and even more time crunching numbers in a spreadsheet in another window.

Putting the best stuff behind that maths means there's an actual incentive to encourage anyone who figures out how to use it to keep it to themselves and not help out other people, because there's only so much good stuff to go around.

See, I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand , I think the game should be approachable to as many people as possible, but on the other we have multiple jobs for a reason.

Not everyone will want to do math in this game. I sure as hell don't. But some people do, and I think it's great we have a job for those people, one that thematically fits.

I think the bigger issue is not having built ingame ways of figuring out solutions and needing to rely on out of game resources. It's the lack of feedback, and not really being able to use mistakes or partial successes to help guide you toward the correct answer that I'd like to see addressed. Though, I think I have a solution for that for this proposal. 

Just have a monitor that displays the path of your last fired projectile, as well as the targets it needs to hit. You set your variables, fire, see how close you got, and make adjustments.

You could probably tie this into normal telescience as well. The objects launched could be research satellites that act as relay points for the teleporter. Daisy chain a few satellites and take the guesswork out of telescience as you just beam the transported particles from one satellite to the next.

Or mining. Fire missles at asteroids to large to pull in with the mining magnet and blow them up into more manageable chunks