Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The wraith rework superthread
The idea for this thread is to let people pitch ideas, for an antagonist that desperately needs some love applied to it, as well as bring up some of the major issues/unfun aspects behind wraith currently.

Overall what i've heard is:
Overwhelmingly - add more counterplay to wraith. Currently wraith is borderline invulnerable in the hands of an experienced or careful player.
                       - Make wraith have more abilities focused on spooking folks, and less on outright murder.
                       - Have wraith's counterplay not be focused on being extremely powergamey (Such as Ecto eyes, or the Ecto goggles.) which is more of an addition                           to the above.

I feel like currently, wraith isn't sure what it wants to be identity wise, a spooky stalker, a social nuisance, or MURDERMACHINE 9000, and that kinda hampers it in a way, so its possible that splitting the antag into two would be a better idea, such as like the following.

Wraith - More focused on the spooky, social aspect, possibly add a "fright" value that would either serve as your objective, or way of murdering people.

Eldritch Stalker/Haunter in the Dark - More combat focused spook where manifesting would allow you to directly fight the crew, would play like current wraith, but with more of a focus on manifesting to directly interact with the crew.
It's possible to work both of these into the same antag, and have players pick which playstyle they prefer.

I've also came up with a few other abilities/changes that I feel could be helpful.

WRAITH
Haunt - Selects a target player to manifest to, aswell as a few selectable guises to choose from, such as crewmembers, or possibly critters. Can be dismissed by the Wraith or removed by a chaplain performing an exorcism, or by a quick splash of holy water, both of which grant temporary protection from being haunted again, with the exorcism lasting significantly longer than holy water.

Ectoplasmic Object - Functions similarly to a Chameleon projector in that it lets you first "scan" an item. Then you can place a faux copy of it somewhere on the station, When interacted with by the crew, the object melts away into a pile of gloop, With haunt active, only the target player can see the faux item. Once haunt wears off the item is visible by everyone.

Phantom Noise - Provides a small/medium selection of sounds to play in a localized target area such as a Cyalume saber being drawn, With haunt active, plays the noise to only the haunted player.

"Why haunt if it effects everyone when not having it active?"
The idea behind haunt localizing things is to raise the paranoia of the player, while making other players think this guy's a bit loopy.
Haunt being local could also add a bonus to fright gained.

St. Elmo's Conflagration - Creates a fake spreading fire from target location. Lasts a short-ish duration, or until people interact with it.

Phantom of Pain - Creates a illusory "dying" crew member at a location, fades away when interacted with. With haunt active, allows you to stumble around as the illusion, and perform emotes or whatever have you to give the guise that it's a real player.

As for the more combat focused one, I don't have many ideas, but it would be closer to how Revenant is now, but with less instant kill shit, and possibly a inability or a severe limit to directly interact with crew unless manifested.

Counterplay - Counterplay is always a fairly hot issue, but ususally its to keep an antagonist from becoming nigh invulnerable, Alot of counterplay against the wraith (hopefully) will involve blessing areas, or people either as the chaplain via the normal means or not with holy water.

EXORCISMS - Exorcisms will be long lasting protections from a wraith's abilities. A chaplain may give them at will, with a progress bar to complete the ritual.
CONSECRATION - Holy water may be added to a location to temporarily limit a wraith's ability to travel into an area. It lasts longer if it's done by the local chaplain, rather than a normal crew member.
BLESSINGS - Provides temporary reprieve to an afflicted crew member by splashing them with holy water. The higher the fright on the person, the less reprieve there is from being re-haunted.

"What happens when you get high enough in fright then?"
I played around with the idea of it being something similar to a heart attack, or getting space madness, but ultimately I feel like it's better to see what the community wants from it.

Regardless, feel free to pitch new ideas, or reworked abilities, and there's no need to use my personal templates ideas but you may if you want to build or expand upon them.

Messages In This Thread
The wraith rework superthread - by Slacker Magician - 06-12-2019, 12:21 PM
RE: The wraith rework superthread - by warcrimes - 06-12-2019, 12:46 PM
RE: The wraith rework superthread - by aft2001 - 06-13-2019, 04:42 AM