Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Tech Help: Help Me Get Byond Running Without Direct X Installed
So my version of Direct X is very outdated (Version 9) and I am unable to install a new updated version because school computer (laptop that is mine until I leave the school system). I've heard that you can just drag certain direct x files into the .exe to make it work but I have no idea if it will actually work. If you're a super tech nerd please help me play, I'm dying from withdrawal.
oh my god yes please if anyone can solve this then that'd be amazing. I have jack shit to do in class (Literally, just... no assignments, our tests are done but classes are still ongoing), but school desktops don't have DirectX installed. If there is a workaround then I'd be eternally grateful.
I'm fairly certain they need to be installed in the system. Shouldn't be using school property to play space station anyways.
[Image: odeZxaj.jpg]
(Joke, Hokie is cool, just slightly less so for being "Unhip")
(06-05-2019, 07:25 AM)Hokie Wrote: I'm fairly certain they need to be installed in the system. Shouldn't be using school property to play space station anyways.

Convince your teachers that Byond teaches valuable programming and digital art skills
Just tell your teachers that the game encourages you to learn how to Algebra.

If you wanna telescience, then you're not wrong.
i accidentally found an article today saying byond was a good program, and similar to scratch, which schools use.

theres an argument there somewhere
I just need a valid argument for upgrading Direct X, couldn't play it at school anyways due to a block against multiplayer servers. I like the way you're thinking though Nate, keep up the smarting

(To clarify I was given a laptop that I get for as long as I'm in school, I can take it home and do whatever I want on it, I just need to convince some IT nerds to come down and give me a Direct X upgrade)
wait couldn't it be possible to run a Windows virtual machine with DirectX and BYOND installed there?
Find me a windows virtual machine for windows and you will have the happiest man alive
I had the same idea about the VM, but if you cant install direct X, I doubted you could even install a VM client.
Also isnt byond available for other OS's then windows? Getting a linux OS would be easy then, since most are free.
Pretty sure the Linux version only lets you build games, not play them
You could probably get a portable VM client on a flash drive or something and run it off of that.
doesn't like virtualbox or vmware count