Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Allow scanned cloners to be linked with multitools
Basically, allow someone to use a multitool to drag-and-drop the cloner components together onto the cloning computer, so that you can build them in various designs, much like how MechComp stuff is linked. Should probably have a few tiles of range to allow the parts to not necessarily be connected. They could still auto-connect if deployed adjacent to other components.

(There may be some other parts that could use similar things, like the portal generator/ring/etc.)

Main thought is that you can't replicate setups like Oshan or Cogmap 2 (I think?) because the different components are also a few tiles apart. Could also allow for fun shenanigans like having a scanner on the opposite side of a wall from the cloner/computer.

Not sure what other components or computers could use this same treatment, though I'm sure there are others.
the console already has a range of 2 tiles for connection, which could be increased if it's an issue.
they way things are mapped is actually identical to the way theyre placed by mechanics, no special ids or links intrinsic to that, so any setup that exists, you can recreate.

the console is the one that creates the links on spawn, so build it last.
Is that two tiles as in a 5x5 square centered on the console, or a 7x7 square? (two tiles between the items)

Cogmap has it three tiles away (two tiles between)

[Image: 8TC5iVS.png]
The only thing I know is that many times when someone gets the cloner mindslave kit and tries to make a cloner it just doesn't work. A pure loss of telecrystals because it doesn't want to work for some reason even if its all connected properly
(05-31-2019, 03:09 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: The only thing I know is that many times when someone gets the cloner mindslave kit and tries to make a cloner it just doesn't work. A pure loss of telecrystals because it doesn't want to work for some reason even if its all connected properly

The problem here is almost always that they didn't set it up in the correct order: the console must be installed after all the other equipment is online. It can be easily rectified by screwdrivering the console to 'break' it and then replacing its glass and screwdrivering it again. There should probably be instructions for this in the kit because it's super unintuitive.
(05-31-2019, 04:14 PM)sodly Wrote: There should probably be instructions for this in the kit because it's super unintuitive.

Or the console could be made to check around it when clicked on if it's not been linked yet, much better.
add a "reset connection".button on it like the telepad to have it retry the connection.proc
(05-31-2019, 04:14 PM)sodly Wrote: There should probably be instructions for this in the kit because it's super unintuitive.

I tried to mention this briefly in the cloning lab construction instructions on the wiki, though I made an error regarding 1 tile adjacency. Before I go and edit that, I just wanted to confirm 5x5 or 7x7 details that Zamujasa mentioned as well.

As an additional question, if you were to overlap inside that selection (2 cloning pods or 2 scanning pods etc) would that prevent it from working?
A while ago someone redeployed a cloning pod to replace a destroyed one on Oshan and the cloning computer refused to acknowledge its existence.

So at the very least, some way to have it refresh links when it's missing them would be useful (beyond "screwdriver it twice", I mean)