• 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Give the cloner better error messages
Rather than "Unable to start cloning cycle":

User offline:
"Can't clone. Unable to detect ethereal consciousness."

User in another body:
"Can't clone. Consciousness already in use."

User in a critter (and, if it does disable cloning, ghost drones):
"Can't clone. Consciousness has moved on." (Perhaps offer to delete record?)

Cloning pod busy:
"Cloning pod is currently in use."

There are probably other messages, but something more useful than the current base message would help in identifying why someone isn't clonable, and what (if anything) can be done.
For awhile I always thought the cloner had different things it said depending on if they can be cloned or not. I guess it really doesn't or at least I dont understand the things it tells me
Solid QOL idea, the user consciousness in use would be especially helpful in my mind.

As I type that though, I realize that it can be a source of intel for antags perhaps. Do you have a clone record of the captain? Try to clone him to see what error message you get to see if hes alive again/still or not. Maybe not that big of a deal though.
(05-31-2019, 05:50 AM)Recusor Wrote: As I type that though, I realize that it can be a source of intel for antags perhaps. Do you have a clone record of the captain? Try to clone him to see what error message you get to see if hes alive again/still or not. Maybe not that big of a deal though.

i think to avoid this, just don't differ between different bodies. so it'll go "soul in use" or whatever if they're in a human, borg, ghost drone, critter, etc. so you don't know if they're alive or just a critter
(05-31-2019, 05:50 AM)Recusor Wrote: Solid QOL idea, the user consciousness in use would be especially helpful in my mind.

As I type that though, I realize that it can be a source of intel for antags perhaps. Do you have a clone record of the captain? Try to clone him to see what error message you get to see if hes alive again/still or not. Maybe not that big of a deal though.
This error would also show up if they've already been cloned/revived, like if someone borgs the brain but you try cloning them.

Also, if you have a record of someone in the cloner, they generally also have a health implant that'll show their health in the cloner or med records (as the clone scanner inserts one).