Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Prodoc+ cyber eye / cyborg upgrade
I'd like to request a way to get upgraded ProDoc vision from cyber eyes, since at the moment that's the only goggle effect they can't have.

I've had a couple of thoughts on how it could be done, and while I know which one I'd prefer, I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

1. Let people use analyzer upgrades on them:
Probably not a good idea, as there's a limited number of the upgrades. Unlike analyzers and goggles, it's not easy to take someone's eye off them and reuse it when they no longer need it!

2. Have a second ProDoc cybereye that requires more/rarer materials to make:
This is the option I'm in favour of. This way it's still possible to do, but not trivial. The Medical Director could start with one in their locker, to either use themselves or give to Robotics. I'm not sure if it should just use more of the same materials, or require ores from mining as well. It could also be limited to buying from traders, but I don't think anyone would ever bother when there are ProDoc goggles everywhere.

3. Require two ProDocs and/or a spectro eye to get the upgraded effect:
Also an option. You need two polarized cyber eyes to get the same effect as sunglasses, so if the improved ProDoc is considered too good to be available with one eye, require two! I think combining it with spectro makes more sense, since reagent analysis is the big addition, but it could require two ProDoc eyes instead.

The second question is whether cyborgs should get a better ProDoc module as well. I know there are concerns about cyborgs making some human roles redundant, but I wouldn't see the harm in having a better but more expensive module to make when mining/QM co-operate.
There's a limited number of them, but they're in every NanoMed Plus and Port-a-NanoMed (4 each) and there's usually a box of them somewhere (7 more). I never have trouble finding one when I need it, and worst case they can be (should be?) scannable by mechanics or refilled from QM.
I've thought this as well. I think that your suggestion to require two prodoc eyes to get the upgrade prodoc goggles effect is a good solution. The level 1 effect is border line useless except in cases of extreme triage. Not to mention, nobody ever really uses Pro Doc eyes, probably because they don't have this feature.

I think that creating a whole new "advanced prodoc eye" item that is somehow harder to get or requires more rare materials in the fabricator is tricky. It might just be a personal thing for me, and it might not be as bad on the rp server where there is slightly more inter-departmental collaberation, but it would likely see very little usage similar to the laser cybereye. And the laser eye you can at least use to kill people! If there existed a reasonable way for non-miners to be able to get materials other than steel and pharosium then this would be a more viable solution IMO. I'm okay with hiding dangerous equipment behind this sort of barrier, but I don't think it need hide prodocs.

I've also thought of requiring giving the health analyzer upgrade to the eye as you've suggested. It makes sense. But you're right that it would just lead to a decline in available upgrades.

But I still like the idea of upgrading the cyber eye so that it can work with the level 2 effect while only using one eye. Long ago I thought it would be fun to have some way to "hack" cyber organs to do more fun effects. Like let you do something like door hacking to activate and deactivate parts of a cyber organ's circuitry. Like give roboticists a machine in which they can plop in an organ and muck about with it. 

But that's beside the point. I can't imagine making 2 cyber eyes give you the level 2 pro doc effect being very hard, and it will make pro doc eyes see a lot more use I would think. Also I might take the other part of your suggestion too, put a box with a pair of cybereyes in the Medical Director's locker.
My only concern about that is that none of the other eyes other than polarized require two eyes to "fully function"; you can still shoot eyebeams and see in meson-view with just one.

Glasses: ProDoc Upgrade
Eye1: Laser
Eye2: Meson

In a case like this, there's still no real point in using the ProDoc cybereyes, because you'd lose out on the ability to have both of the other effects.
Okay, after looking now. It seems that this already functioned this way: have 2 prodoc eyes in order to examine like the upgraded prodoc goggles allowed. It was a silent change, but has been that way for a while too it seems, since the end of 2016. Not sure how I missed that. I even tested it in game now to make sure that it works and it does.

Anyway, I still think that allowing for some way to upgrade prodoc eyes so that you can use just one to get the upgraded effect is a good idea, but that seems like a better idea for longer down the road.
(05-31-2019, 12:40 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: Okay, after looking now. It seems that this already functioned this way: have 2 prodoc eyes in order to examine like the upgraded prodoc goggles allowed. It was a silent change, but has been that way for a while too it seems, since the end of 2016. Not sure how I missed that. I even tested it in game now to make sure that it works and it does.

Anyway, I still think that allowing for some way to upgrade prodoc eyes so that you can use just one to get the upgraded effect is a good idea, but that seems like a better idea for longer down the road.

I don't think anyone knew you could do that. It's not an urgent change, since Zamujasa's already pointed out you can get 3 goggle effects as long as you wear ProDocs. It would be nice for anyone who wants to be a fashionable doctor without big glasses, but I'll live. My patients might not, but I will  Demonology 101