Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
if your preferences arent avaliable, you dont spawn
its maybe a little self explanatory?

have a button or an option like the antag selection that makes it so that if you cant latejoin as a favourite/medium priority job, you have to latejoin?

like, a do-over, where if your favourite job(s?) are taken, you can opt into not joining as a medium/low priority job in your list, and latejoin instead
The "unwanted" category already does this rather robustly, and this option would just make the "low" column act like the unwanted one.

That only serves people who want to set Staff Assistant to unwanted (which is disabled for pretty good reason)

e: it would also let you grab a gimmick job if your favorite was occupied, but that i believe is also a tradeoff that's somewhat against the spirit of the fair draw.
(05-28-2019, 10:04 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: The "unwanted" category already does this rather robustly, and this option would just make the "low" column act like the unwanted one.

That only serves people who want to set Staff Assistant to unwanted (which is disabled for pretty good reason)

e: it would also let you grab a gimmick job if your favorite was occupied, but that i believe is also a tradeoff that's somewhat against the spirit of the fair draw.

i guess maybe flabourised said something about this, where like, she readied up but security got *completely* full and she got stuck with staff assistant?

so instead of a situation like that, shed get a chance to choose a job thatd make her wanna stick around and play for an hour or so, instead of being relegated to a job she didnt want and potentially choosing to cryo out of the round

(also if i didnt specify its opt in, not opt out, so u gotta choose whether or not you want this)
I think the issue is i disagree with the sentiment of Staff Assistant being a "oh no im stuck with this" job.
If you're like, 100% dead set on doing one job and will potentially suicide out if you don't roll it (which is kinda frowned upon, in the same lane as fishing), just latejoin.

Staff Assistant is an important niche because it's everything and nothing, yin and yang.
Your preferences can already set everything except SA to Unwanted, so this still just ends up being a "if i have to play staff assistant, im not playing at all" button, and it makes me uncomfortable in that sense. Get yourself deputized or reassigned, especially on RP1, it's an absolutely valid thing to do.

I wanna hear what other folks think about it, but i'm cold to the idea
There have been instances where I thought "gee I would really like to play X exclusive job but if somebody else rolls that I'd rather play X latejoin job" and I think this would neatly make that possible. For example, sometimes I want to play as the clown first and foremost with the mime as my "second best" choice. However, I'm generally unlikely to be a clown if I latejoin so I have to choose between trying to roll for the clown or holding out to be able to play maybe both but most likely just mime.

I can also see in an RP-sense how someone could potentially have a character who is specifically a job/in a department, and they might want to only play that character if they can play that job. (Maybe it would be weird if someone's doctor character was an assistant). This change would let people change to a different character in a situation like that.
(05-28-2019, 10:42 AM)Flaborized Wrote: There have been instances where I thought "gee I would really like to play X exclusive job but if somebody else rolls that I'd rather play X latejoin job" and I think this would neatly make that possible. For example, sometimes I want to play as the clown first and foremost with the mime as my "second best" choice. However, I'm generally unlikely to be a clown if I latejoin so I have to choose between trying to roll for the clown or holding out to be able to play maybe both but most likely just mime.

I can also see in an RP-sense how someone could potentially have a character who is specifically a job/in a department, and they might want to only play that character if they can play that job. (Maybe it would be weird if someone's doctor character was an assistant). This change would let people change to a different character in a situation like that.

thats another reason i suggested this, since its not great to only have a character do one job on the rp server as of right now, like an rd character or detective character or whatnot. (i got chewed out for it, since if you always latejoin to get a certain job, youre technically metagaming since youll never be an antag)
I would very much like the ability to switch characters if I don't get the job I want. Don Geon is not a staff assistant (anymore). He's got a degree in plasmology from university of Phoenix, don't cha know
I have no opinion on the subject but would like to be notified of this discussion.
As far as the original idea here goes, I think I've gotta agree with Jhon in that I don't like the mentality of "I have to play this job or fuck you". And adding a button that pushes you to latejoin if you can't get your favorite job goes somewhat against the spirit of the game, or at least my personal playstyle.

Such a change IMO basically seems like a step towards removing the (fair)random job selection And turning it into something where only the fastest clickers or people with the best internet will get the jobs they want. 

(05-28-2019, 10:42 AM)Flaborized Wrote: I can also see in an RP-sense how someone could potentially have a character who is specifically a job/in a department, and they might want to only play that character if they can play that job. (Maybe it would be weird if someone's doctor character was an assistant). This change would let people change to a different character in a situation like that.

(05-28-2019, 11:31 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: I would very much like the ability to switch characters if I don't get the job I want. Don Geon is not a staff assistant (anymore). He's got a degree in plasmology from university of Phoenix, don't cha know

As for these suggestions, I think that they could be pretty useful especially for people trying to RP certain characters, and they are something I had a modest interest in trying to add in tangent with promoting players to command positions of their departments if nobody rolled one of those command positions on round start. I'll reference you to zamujasa's mockup char select screen for how I think that such a thing could work:
[Image: zPyB1zL.png]
Personally I don't have any particular interest in playing this way so maybe I'll be a bit off from the mainstream of how most might want it, but I do understand how such a thing can be useful for people trying to RP specific characters. So I'm thinking that this could be done. You'd have your list of profiles set up here like that, each with their favorite job. And on the main character setup screen, there will be an option for choosing to either continue rolling normally (select one of your character save files) or using the newer way (when your turn comes up in the job picker, it reads all your active character profiles as your "medium priority" job list and selects that job and character for you).

But the thing is, there are quite a few details to be worked out in the new profiler picker. Such as:
- How do you select a favorite profile to use, and does that become your default character if none of your character profile jobs are available?
- Should you be able to select antag choices for specific profiles? (So that if you roll your benevolent doctor profile, you can't start as a traitor)
- Should profile selection have it's own favorite/medium/low/inactive priority menu?
Quote:Such a change IMO basically seems like a step towards removing the (fair)random job selection And turning it into something where only the fastest clickers or people with the best internet will get the jobs they want.

I don't think that's the case, as random job selecting would still be in.

Consider:

A, B, and C all have the Janitor job as favorite, but only one slot for that job exists. They all ready up to join the round.

The round starts. The game decides that C gets to be the Jantior, as well as assigning any other players and their jobs.

A and B, and anybody else who has "Latejoin if favorite unavailable" enabled, are then presented with a list of the remaining jobs to choose from. There's no fastest click or internet involved; if A or B or anybody else really wanted one of the latejoin jobs, they would have set it as a favorite or medium priority.

I dunno. I think it'd be useful to have as an option.
Would it be possible to have your job picked before the round started proper and make adjustments during a preround window of time?

Like, a minute before roundstart if you're chosen as Sec you can tweak your character manually or load a profile that you prefer for Sec.

People that join after job selection could just be randomly assigned or wait to late join
Frankly, there are incidents where I would literally be fine with ANY OTHER JOB but SA.

It's like, a punishment for readying up.
Make prison easier to break out of and update their quarters to be more fun and job like
(05-28-2019, 01:09 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: As far as the original idea here goes, I think I've gotta agree with Jhon in that I don't like the mentality of "I have to play this job or fuck you". And adding a button that pushes you to latejoin if you can't get your favorite job goes somewhat against the spirit of the game, or at least my personal playstyle.

Such a change IMO basically seems like a step towards removing the (fair)random job selection And turning it into something where only the fastest clickers or people with the best internet will get the jobs they want. 

im sorry i genuinely dont get how this is a "i didnt get what i want so fuck you" change, or how it disables randomness and means that only the people with the best internet get good jobs. i really dont like that characterisation since it paints it like anyone who supports it is a toddler who cant handle random selection. tbh thats just rude and unfair

like, this would just be an opt in toggle you could enable, right? if you didnt want to deal with it, you dont click it. its just a safety net where in case the jobs you wanted arent avaliable, you get a second chance to choose something that you might want to play i guess?

its not removing randomness, you still get considered for the job normally, weighted the same as everyone else. its just that if you dont get it, you can opt into latejoining and choosing another job instead of getting randomly assigned one from your job pool
It's a neat feature but this seems like a fix to a problem that doesn't really exist. Can't you just ask the HoP/Captain to give you the job change?

Even the job you originally wanted but couldn't get because it was already taken. I can't think of anyone who would object to yet another janitor on server 2 (though I could see RP issues on Server 1 that could be talked through). Outside of very specific jobs like Test subject (which just has a different easy fix) I don't see how this is much more than unnecessary work.